• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belts blown count

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Getting a gopro video of the clutches in action on the problem belt eaters would be a good idea,
After having the secondary off mine and looking over all the engine mounts,
I would bet things are moving/flexing around quite a bit!
Things that could flex
1. Thick rubber engine mounts
2. flimsy looking engine mount brackets
3. very flimsy secondary bracket.
4. Bulkheads, the pictures ive seen of the broken ones are catastophic! Maybe under load hits are exploding them?
Or unknown cracked bulkheads? Again flexing..

Have dealers been Swapping primary clutch's with known non belt eater?
After checking

1. Belt alignment
2. Clutching issues..
Binding springs, rollers, correct pin weight and springs for altitude..
3. Bulkhead damage
4. Excessive engine movement

I know trapped heat is an issue..
But having a good functioning clutch system
Would almost make the heat issue moot

I'm a bit shocked that no real fix has been found for this issue yet..
IMO there must be multiple reasons..
1.Primary clutch
2.Alignment issue's due to lots of flex
3.???

Things Ive been thinking about..

C
Oct 28, 2010
Pulled one cord on the first belt at 315 km on clicker 3. Snow too deep to read rpm.
Pulled a cord when the sled had 577 km on clicker 2 @8000 rpm. Still deep snow.
All riding has been between 3500-6500 ft.

Before I ever rode it all foam and felt was removed (besides the engine shroud and the reflected foam on can side)

Took my sled and belts to my dealer. They cut a few holes in the clutch cover and gave me two new belts.

Don't know how may km now. Maybe around 700-750?
Blew my third belt at 999 km

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Take your belt off and run your finger down the fixed sheave down to the steel shaft. You will notice the steel shaft may protrude farther than the aluminum sheave.
The only way i noticed it was, after doing a sec spring change I was inspecting the belt and noticed a weird grove on the engine side of the belt. The belt will only run in that area during engagement. I wish I had taken photos cause it was not my sled.

Like this? I think this is a major problem people are over looking.
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432760

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
We are interested to learn how many belts people have blown this season so far. If possible would just like to list elevation you ride, miles so far and belts blown. Thanks in advance for helping us learn!! ❄

A little off topic but:face-icon-small-blu....I rode my trubo Nytro and put 6300 klm's on it and blew 1 belt and was on my third one when I sold it(second one just worn thin. Cannot understand how these lower power sleds can blow so many so fast:yuck::yuck::yuck:

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Guys I found the solution to the belt issue. Guaranteed 100% that once your motor blows up and your sled is down for the rest of the season waiting for warranty parts you will have zero belt blowing problems! My 850 hasn't blown a belt in over 5 weeks sitting around with no motor in it!

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
First belt for me was 419 kilometres. I was riding in the deep snow. I was a little hard on it and the thing exploded, clutches were boiling hot. Wasn't to worried at that point. Put a new belt on and 170 kilometres is exploded again after leaving the cabin on the trail....belts are costing more then fuel....talked to two dealers today and sounds like they aren't even willing to look at it....I can't even ride my 850 anymore...Time to pull out the axys 174 even though I'd rather ride the 850....bs. What am I supposed to do with this "warrantied" machine that I can't even ride. Who needs parts!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
My experience has been much different, 600 miles on the original belt with no issues, clickers set on #1 position, riding at 5000 to 9000 feet elevation in varied conditions. Engine pulls 8200-8300 rpm and runs strong.

However, I have been very diligent at keeping the belt and clutch sleeves clean and adjusted. The clutch does not seem very hot even in the steep and deep.

I know it is old school but basic clutch maintenance and proper break in of the OEM belt has served me very well.

T
Apr 2, 2017
3 stock belts 800+ miles 2 machines all on my new 800 expedition extreme, always good break-in cleaning all clutch surfaces. 500'-5500' rides. New Gates kevalr is much better

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
My experience has been much different, 600 miles on the original belt with no issues, clickers set on #1 position, riding at 5000 to 9000 feet elevation in varied conditions. Engine pulls 8200-8300 rpm and runs strong.

However, I have been very diligent at keeping the belt and clutch sleeves clean and adjusted. The clutch does not seem very hot even in the steep and deep.

I know it is old school but basic clutch maintenance and proper break in of the OEM belt has served me very well.

Your over reving. Max rpm= 8000.

C
Oct 28, 2010
1 belt every 300 km

I pulled a cord on my fourth belt yesterday at 1266.7 km on the sled. That's 316km per belt. Or for you yanks south of the border that's 196 miles per belt. ��

Last edited:
Premium Features