• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-doo factory bulkhead fix?

R
Dec 5, 2016
Does anyone have any details on when/if Ski-doo is going to help us out and come up with a factory fix for the apparently weak 850 bulkheads? I've seen a few guys on the forums allude to a factory fix, but nothing definitive. I'm aware of some aftermarket brace kits, but I'm hoping Ski-doo will make things right if this turns out to be a relatively widespread defect/problem. Thanks.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Does anyone have any details on when/if Ski-doo is going to help us out and come up with a factory fix for the apparently weak 850 bulkheads? I've seen a few guys on the forums allude to a factory fix, but nothing definitive. I'm aware of some aftermarket brace kits, but I'm hoping Ski-doo will make things right if this turns out to be a relatively widespread defect/problem. Thanks.

Honestly, I don't see even a 0.01% chance of them stepping in to remedy this. I really hope that Ski-Doo proves me wrong but I'm not counting on it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
yeah right. They may have a fix for next year, but the first year guys are screwed
There is one thing I have learned about our sport.
When there is a NEED for a fix, the aftermarket SELDOM misses the opportunity to address it.

if this proves to be a long term problem, and if BRP doesn't address it for whatever reason, then I am betting some eager entrepreneur WILL come out with a retrofit fix.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
The Gen 4 bulkhead is not nearly as easy to beef up as the XM was or they would be available. I think I read that one of the companies is having difficulty figuring out how to brace all the weak points.

I think this whole thing may blow up on Doo and turn a **** ton of Doo riders into Poo and Cat riders.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
yeah right. They may have a fix for next year, but the first year guys are screwed

I will not be surprised if the next run of g4's have a bit more metal up front. It won't be advertised. Much like Polaris thickening cylinder skirts in 13' or whenever that was... There's nothing wrong with the sleds! But we secretly fixed them for next year, shhh.

R
Oct 10, 2014
I told myself not to check a first year sled. I have been burned a few times over the years doing that. But I fell into the hype. And the hype is definitely true, this Summit is by far the best Summit ever. The thing absolutely rips. The performance is just awesome. I love this thing and I have a constant smile on my face while riding it.

If Doo does come up with a fix, it will come with a cost. One gentleman said that they would fix it on future sleds, which they will. In about 3 yrs this sled be at the top of the heap by leaps and bounds. No question in my mind. And I will buy another one for sure!

But us first year owners are going to take the hit. If do doesn't do anything then when we try to dump these sleds into the used market next year, who the hell is going to buy one knowing that one marginal hit will damage the front end. Many of us East Coast riders are going to hit something sooner or later and cause some carnage. I just installed a skid plate in hopes I can bounce over the "marginal" stump or rock or whatever. But sooner or later the luck is going to run out im sure of it.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I told myself not to check a first year sled. I have been burned a few times over the years doing that. But I fell into the hype. And the hype is definitely true, this Summit is by far the best Summit ever. The thing absolutely rips. The performance is just awesome. I love this thing and I have a constant smile on my face while riding it.

If Doo does come up with a fix, it will come with a cost. One gentleman said that they would fix it on future sleds, which they will. In about 3 yrs this sled be at the top of the heap by leaps and bounds. No question in my mind. And I will buy another one for sure!

But us first year owners are going to take the hit. If do doesn't do anything then when we try to dump these sleds into the used market next year, who the hell is going to buy one knowing that one marginal hit will damage the front end. Many of us East Coast riders are going to hit something sooner or later and cause some carnage. I just installed a skid plate in hopes I can bounce over the "marginal" stump or rock or whatever. But sooner or later the luck is going to run out im sure of it.

In 3 years the competition will have new chassis and motors so the game will be restarted.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I was planning on buying a T3 holdover (because it's an established platform in it's last year, with few remaining known issues), but wound up getting the G4 on Christmas Eve (because I rode a T3 and wasn't that impressed). There weren't many holdovers available, so I was looking at used sleds as well. The majority of well kitted T3s had GnR or Doo module bracing. Weak modules are Doo's trademark weakness. Poos only last 2000 miles before needing an engine rebuild, and Cats are bomber but can't keep up on the snow (at least that was their reputation over the past few years). Pick your "problem". One thing I noticed while shopping was the Doo seems to hold resale value better than Poo, but that may be due to the fact that there were so many more Poos available.

N
Oct 25, 2009
Just seen this posted today on s&M gen4 forum , great news too hear as far as I am concerned>>>>>>>>

Well I just got off the phone and some most excellent news from Riverside and BRP.
BRP has recognized that there are more broken bulkheads than are acceptable.

The repair cost for the modules and installation will be covered by BRP - I did the damage and rightfully the cost anything else will be mine.
This is exceptional news and will do wonders for the G4 and the rebuilding of the sled's reputation of durability and corporate backing.

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question.
It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.
And a huge huge thanks to Corey that got this pushed through.
YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

Puts a ton of faith back into BRP and how the future of the G4 will progress.
I would say take your cases to your dealer - I hit a rock and that falls on abuse and my fault.
What support a person gets will invariably depend on each case but there is definatly hope.

I am a reborn believer in BRP.
No I will not put out a video and no I will not throw doolaid at everyone.
We got two guys or that already.

I am so happy I'm gonna knock off work early and celebrate at the wife's expense!!!!

The performance of the sled is just killer and now it's got some backing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Just seen this posted today on s&M gen4 forum , great news too hear as far as I am concerned>>>>>>>>

Well I just got off the phone and some most excellent news from Riverside and BRP.
BRP has recognized that there are more broken bulkheads than are acceptable.

The repair cost for the modules and installation will be covered by BRP - I did the damage and rightfully the cost anything else will be mine.
This is exceptional news and will do wonders for the G4 and the rebuilding of the sled's reputation of durability and corporate backing.

I don't think there was ever a moment were performance was in question.
It is just dam fawkin great that there is sunshine o the horizon provided by BRP.
And a huge huge thanks to Corey that got this pushed through.
YOU DA MAN FOR SURE!!!!!

Puts a ton of faith back into BRP and how the future of the G4 will progress.
I would say take your cases to your dealer - I hit a rock and that falls on abuse and my fault.
What support a person gets will invariably depend on each case but there is definatly hope.

I am a reborn believer in BRP.
No I will not put out a video and no I will not throw doolaid at everyone.
We got two guys or that already.

I am so happy I'm gonna knock off work early and celebrate at the wife's expense!!!!

The performance of the sled is just killer and now it's got some backing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Interesting, hopefully they cover it next time you hit a rock too.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I believe this is a rare case and most everyone else is going to get the finger. Just going off the past. Hopefully BRP figures out the root solution to make this sled tougher and not just a few duct tape band aids.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I believe this is a rare case and most every else is going to get the finger. Just going off the past. Hopefully BRP figures out the root solution to make this sled tougher and not just a few duct tape band aids.
I just forwarded the post along to BRP Corporate asking them to confirm whether this is in fact TRUE or just wishful thinking..

Premium Features