• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running Boards

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Anyone have any close up pictures of the SP and the X running boards? I am going to change out the shocks anyway so I am trying to decide if the X is really worth the extra $$.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I looked at them down in West, the X boards are a completely extruded board which is wide down by your boot and then taper in to the end. At the back they are about 4" wide. They aren't sharp at all and look like they would shed snow well. The SP boards are similar but they have a curve in them from the wide area at the boot with a smooth continuous taper to the back. They also aren't sharp and look similar to the XM boards. They also look to shed snow well and all the cross supports are on a 45 degree angle to the tunnel. The outer support is extruded and the main board area is riveted aluminum.

Hope this helps, I'm having the same thoughts.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have seen them both and I would get the x for the boards alone. The sp boards aren't as nice and the big thing is they are probably 4 inches longer. That will hang you up in the snow just like the xm does. What is the price difference? If it is a huge difference b&m or Skinz will have better boards available to skinny it up even more. I'm sure they will eat up $500 but will make it more capable.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The front of the boards don't shed heavy snow very well. I'll be definitely cutting them off on the sleds I bought.

IMAG0537.jpg IMAG0536.jpg

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
on doos site it says the x boards are also 3/4 inch taller than the sp.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
You guys haven't even rode the sled and already your taking what is the next best thing apart .... What I find even more funny is just a few years ago running boards were to narrow and did not shed the snow .... Now the to wide and shed snow very well and some of you guys still complain. Hilarious !!!!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You guys haven't even rode the sled and already your taking what is the next best thing apart .... What I find even more funny is just a few years ago running boards were to narrow and did not shed the snow .... Now the to wide and shed snow very well and some of you guys still complain. Hilarious !!!!

I rode the sled for about 6 hours yesterday...

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
As soon as someone brings us a sled, we will start on the boards. I don't get special access like some of the other companies out there so the sooner the better. I'll even plan on a skinny set.

Bryan.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That would be awesome if the skinny boards were raised another inch over the stock X boards. I'd preorder a set if you did that.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

Is even more hilarious when a guy spends 13k and gets his azz kicked by an older sled just because of board width.
Real funny!

30" wide total and 1.5" higher with angle up. Which should be the same width as the cat narrow boards (tunnel is same width at the bottom) with a little more angle for positive footing. That would be awesome.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Aftermarket boards and a wrap are good for 10 more horse .... Come to the world champion hill climbs this weekend in JH and you will see many sleds running stock boards.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Aftermarket boards and a wrap are good for 10 more horse .... Come to the world champion hill climbs this weekend in JH and you will see many sleds running stock boards.

DPG

You don't need narrow boards to race rmsha. Narrow boards are for those of us who ride the steep backcountry. If narrow boards don't make a difference then why are the manufacturers starting to build them that way?? More than once I've wished my Xm had narrower and higher boards especially in spring snow that's more set up.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
You don't need narrow boards to race rmsha. Narrow boards are for those of us who ride the steep backcountry. If narrow boards don't make a difference then why are the manufacturers starting to build them that way?? More than once I've wished my Xm had narrower and higher boards especially in spring snow that's more set up.

Weight ..... LMAO, I have been riding some of the steepest terrain on the planet for over 30 years in willow creek, Indian creek and the snake river drainage in western Wyoming ... Back in the day all the board were very narrow and we complained about needing better footing for the technical terrain the OEM delivered wider board with surgical sharp grates for better footing these wider running boards were ideal in the steep & deep .... Now the new breed of riders like narrow boards LOL .... I honestly see no benefit to having narrow boards in the steep in deep where good footing is a must.

If you don't think the hillclimb is technical you are simply misinformed.

DPG

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Weight ..... LMAO, I have been riding some of the steepest terrain on the planet for over 30 years in willow creek, Indian creek and the snake river drainage in western Wyoming ... Back in the day all the board were very narrow and we complained about needing better footing for the technical terrain the OEM delivered wider board with surgical sharp grates for better footing these wider running boards were ideal in the steep & deep .... Now the new breed of riders like narrow boards LOL .... I honestly see no benefit to having narrow boards in the steep in deep where good footing is a must.

If you don't think the hillclimb is technical you are simply misinformed.

Dpg don't you think wyo boy is so all about his boards hanging up because his track is so short?

Premium Features