• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Nytro XTX need some ski lift

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
Hi folks,

I'm a new Nytro owner and noticed while out today, that in the deeper snow, the sled seems nose heavy. Was wondering what to do with the suspension to get some ski lift, the owners manual only explains how to soften or harden the shock settings, but i think you're supposed to do something with the limiters and transfer rods as well. Sounds like a dumb question, but i'd appreciate any help please.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Wider ski's will help the front end float much better in deeper snow. The XTX comes with a fairly narrow trail ski.
There are some good aftermarket options out there. Or you can use MTX ski bottoms, and re-use your stock ski loops. To use MTX ski bottoms you'll also need the MTX bolt and spacer kit. I was able to re-use the stock XTX carbides and ski mounting rubbers. The XTX ski rubbers are narrower, however I have not had an issue with them moving out of place.

For the rear suspension, in deeper snow I pulled (shortened) the limiter straps up one hole. What this does is make the approach angle a little more shallow. Which helps the sled get up on top of the snow more, instead of trenching as much.

Wider ski's will make the biggest improvement though.

Last edited:

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Loosen / lengthen the limiter straps = more ski lift.
Tighten / shorten the limiter straps = less ski lift.

But the sled might still feel nose heavy, cause it is. Like mentioned wider skis will help also.

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
thanks guys, i've seen vids of these things wheelieing like crazy, and i know that they're not all turboed or supercharged, just trying to be able to raise them skis up, will try the abovementioned tips.

S

splaterwin

Nov 27, 2007
Vancouver, WA
A buddy of mine pointed out the engine/clutch braking is also why it feels heavy. If you let up on throttle front end dives. Feathering throttle while slowing momentum will help. I'm also having trouble mastering deep snow conditions. New skis may be my next purchase.

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
unbolted and cut off the sway bar in the front end, couldn't stand how the sled seemed to fight me while trying to sidehill, it handles much better now. So if i want more ski lift, i should adjust the transfer rods to allow for more travel ... anything else? the limiter straps are set at the stock as-long-as can-be length, should they be shortened for ski lift?

thanks in advance, been searching here and TY for tips been sledding for years but don't claim to know it all, with the 4 strokes it's like relearning to ride all over again
Derek

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
So if i want more ski lift, i should adjust the transfer rods to allow for more travel YES SO THE SUSPENSION DOESNT COUPLE...
anything else? MAYBE TIGHTEN THE FRT SPRING AND LOOSEN THE REAR MAY HELP
the limiter straps are set at the stock as-long-as can-be length, should they be shortened for ski lift? NO, LONGER FOR MORE SKI LIFT

sorry for the caps

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
While it is true that you would lengthen the front limiters, increase the front skid spring pressure, loosen the rear spring and transfer rods to lighten the ski pressure. As long as there is a base in the snow for the rear skid to transfer or lift off of.

In deep soft powder it has the opposite effect. Since there is no or very little base, the extra downward pressure being applied at the front of the skid is digging it's way downward (trenching), causing the front of the skid to extend in it's travel, creating a steeper appoach angle, removing weight that was being supported by the track and putting even more pressure on the skis. This is why a shallow approach angle is so important on mountain sleds.
This effect is even more noticeable on the XTX with it's tipped up rails.

The most important question to ask yourself when dialing in the rear skid. Is the snow firm enough to actaully allow the rear skid to transfer on?

When I had the stock skid in my XTX, I found the best deep powder preformance when the limiters were pulled up two holes and the front skid spring set at the softest spec. Once I got on some set-up snow though the steering was very heavy and the sled did not handle as well.
I ended up letting the limiter straps out one hole and it seemed to be a good compromise.

Suspension set-up is a compromise, there is no "perfect set-up" for all snow conditions. What works best in bottom-less powder is not ideal for firmer/heavier snow, and visa-versa.
The good news is most of these adjustments are quick and easy to make, so if it doesn't help you can always go back:thumb:

Last edited:
H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
it makes sense when you put it that way, thanks guys, will try out some adjustments and see, though we have gotten a bunch of snow lately, there's not much bottom to it, also thinking of purchasing the flotation plate, if anyone has any feedback

thanks again everyone, the help here made me decide to go premium

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I had the same problem, i installed simmons gen 2 skis they are awesome in deep powder,there 10 inches wide and keeps the front on top of the snow they work great, theres also a new simmons gen 3 that is 8 inches wide, i wouldnt own a nytro without simmons skis.

Premium Features