• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHY SO CHEAP!?

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE IS SELLING THERE BOOSTED SLEDS SO CHEAP.I AM GUILTY AS WELL BUT I AM TAKING MINE OFF THE MARKET.EVERYONE THAT HAS EVER RIDDEN KNOWS BOOSTED YAMMIES ARE UNTOUCHABLE AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE TO BUILD SO WHY ARE GUYS SELLING THEM SO CHEAP? WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR OWN PRICE POINT SO LETS COLLECTIVELY RAISE THE VALUE.IF ITS JUNK AND WORE OUT THEN PRICE IT ACCORDINGLY BUT WHEN I SEE AN AD WITH A SLED THAT COST 25K+ TO BUILD AND IT IS FOR SALE FOR 11K THATS F#$KED.I KNOW GUYS WILL SAY THATS SLEDDING BUT NOBODY IS SELLING THEM SO THEY MAY AS WELL BE 6000 HIGHER WHAT IS THE DIFF. ADS HAVE 500 VISITS AND NO SALE WELL ALL THAT MEANS IS THE DOO/POO/CAT GUYS WANT TO STARE AT SOME QUALITY IRON BUT ARE TO SCARED TO RIDE SOME HIGH END RELIABLE SLEDS.THE NEXT PRICE CHANGES SHOULD BE UP NOT DOWN VALUE THESE THINGS ACCORDINGLY AND PEOPLE EITHER BUY OR THEY WON'T WHO CARES AT LEAST YOU NOT TAKING A BATH IN YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNT.

H
Nov 30, 2008
I agree 100% this my first boosted build. Spent alot of time and money on this sled.Sick of the low ballers.SLED IS NO LONGER FOR SALE

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I guess its a thing known as the economy, it is in the dumps and alot of people that are in money trouble are dumping their toys to get outta debt (not all obviously), and there are people who didnt go and rack up credit cards and take out make believe equity in their homes to buy these said toys and are trying to capitolize on this situation and get a high dollar sled at a cheap price.

Or some people just wanna try to make a quick sale and build up another one for next year!

but something is only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO! Just cause you take a recreational vehicle such as a snowmobile and dump 20-30 grand in it dont expect to sell it and make money...

Offers are just that, it doesnt hurt anyone to offer a price, if you get offended by someones lowball then hopefully your not a salesmen

buy high sell low and do lots of volume isnt going to get you into forbes magazine!

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
every sled i have built, i have lost my azz on when selling.boosted or not.
i always laugh when someones 4 sale add states $xxx invested in this sled.
its not an investment, when you mod something, you are going to lose money when you sell it.jmo

ps the economy its helping this either

H
Nov 30, 2008
I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE EVERY PENNY BACK. BUT WHEN PEOPLE ARE OFFERING THE SAME OR LESS THEN A STOCK ONE. COME ON .
NOW I HAVE HAD COUPLE FAR OFFERS WITCH I HAD CONSIDERED BUT DID NOT ACCEPT.

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
I agree completely wiyh the 'investment' point and no the economy is not great everywhere my point is when you have a quality machine capable of 15000kms worth of use vs the other alternatives out there why would people feel the need to drive the price of there machine down.Place value where there is value.I purchased my sled as is made some modest improvments imo and was not the guy to take the big hit.I am simply saying that we do have some control over valuating the used market .You are always going to have the guy who either needs out or wants out but lets not make that become the norm. if you get a great deal good for you but a fair deal is not a bad thing either.

it's call market value.
right now there is not alot of people spending their money due to this recession. some people are in bad situation's and to keep a roof over there head the toys must go.
so your saying if you could buy a sled that cost 25k to build, for 11k you wouldn't?
what if you could buy a house for 300k thats is appraised 500k ?
would you if you were looking.
good luck selling your sled

J

jaws

Feb 25, 2008
of course i would do both i would also however do my best to not jump into the fire sale arena if it wasn't necessary.i think some people are creating false value .bottom line of course is if you need out then you need out i am not one to judge that nor would i. but does that mean everyone with a 500k house should now say i guess i better sell for 300 because thats all my neighbour got for his even though he had no choice but to sell. i find it hard to believe that all these sleds are owned by people who need the cash and do not believe that there unfortunate bad luck should dictate everyone elses value.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
of course i would do both i would also however do my best to not jump into the fire sale arena if it wasn't necessary.i think some people are creating false value .bottom line of course is if you need out then you need out i am not one to judge that nor would i. but does that mean everyone with a 500k house should now say i guess i better sell for 300 because thats all my neighbour got for his even though he had no choice but to sell. i find it hard to believe that all these sleds are owned by people who need the cash and do not believe that there unfortunate bad luck should dictate everyone elses value.

I second that ^^^

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
How do you decide how much you are going to ask for your sled? My guess is you would look to see how much they are selling for. It sounds like you did your homework and don't like the results....you wouldn't be the first one to try and convince the others to prop their price up but my guess is that just won't happen. Just be glad this is a toy you are dealing with and not your home or worse yet your source of income. Not to go into any detail but the product I sell(to put food on the table and pay the bank) is selling for 1/3 of what it sold for 3 years ago. Wish I could talk the others into holding their price up but thats not the way the free market goes(in most cases). How would you like to be a snowmobile dealer? Or worse yet a boat dealer? Sounds like you might just want to keep that pot of gold and enjoy.

S

sled pilot

Oct 3, 2008
Whats up with the prices?

It doesn't matter what it is you are selling ..it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...period! I have a custom Harley that I would be lucky to get 30 cents on the dollar. Bottom line keep it or sell it ....in the end its your choice. Don't hate the players hate the game.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Price your sled for what your think it's worth then. Even if the economy wasn't the way it is, I dont' think the situation would be different. Some guys put 30,000 plus into these sleds with dreams of slaying every chute in the world, and when they get the sled it's WAY more sled then they would ever need(plus those chutes look alot steeper in person then on the video). They want out of the sled and the price reflects it. It's a good thought to get everybody to raise your prices at the same time, but everybody else knows what prices they sold for before you raised your prices, so they will wait or go spend a couple grand extra and build their own.

I don't say this to bash the thread starter, as I have owned and sold 1 racer's edge rx-1, 4 turbo'd apex's now, and one tnytro. sucks, but if you have one of these sleds, be prepared to ride it for a couple few years and get your money out of it, or take a loss.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Went for a ride with a guy on a boosted yami it was very impresive, tell it stuffed a rod. $1500 just to get it to the truck.It lost its marketability very quickly.Did I mention it was B.A. till it came apart. My daughter gave him a ride out on her 01 RMK.

F

Fuel96

Mar 5, 2009
Vernon, BC, Canada
Argument

This is a tough one... so many reasons why someone may sell for a certain price, or who is willing to pay for it.

Yes, they depreciate very quickly, and it is rather sad. Maybe part of the lower price is the unknown. Turbos do tank from time to time !

I agree, its a shame to lose so much... maybe the word INVESTED should be changed to WASTED ! But then again, I dont mind losing every dollar that I put into my machine, as long as it got me a little higher on the hill !

M

misterjj

Apr 9, 2008
sled value

let this be a lesson to everyone out there...don't take $30,000 & dump it into a sled! Let someone else do it the you could buy it for a quarter of their price. I purchased a twisted last year for $10,000 & the guy I bought it from put over $20 grand into it. That is just my opinon on the subject...thought I'd post it.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
let this be a lesson to everyone out there...don't take $30,000 & dump it into a sled! Let someone else do it the you could buy it for a quarter of their price. I purchased a twisted last year for $10,000 & the guy I bought it from put over $20 grand into it. That is just my opinon on the subject...thought I'd post it.

It aint' just yamaha's. I think alot of the mindset is that if you want 20,000 for your custom build, for the extra couple to few thousand dollars I'm going to do my own with my own color combo and it's brand new. So in the buyer's mind, you better be at half price or they will do their own.

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I just bought a T nytro. I thought I was going to spend around 25 to build then I seen an 09 at 17 had everything I was going to do than some called he dropped to 15.5 told him 14.8 think I could of went 14.2 maybe 13.8 IDK think he would of took it.

I truley believe the manufactures are the cause of the dropping prices like the 09 nytro what was they new 11.7 now a new one is 7.99.

Bought the new xp in 08 cost 11.2 this year the sold the 09 for 7.99 so my sled just dropped a bunch in value.

I felt like on this nytro I might of paid for accessories but nothing more the sled was free.

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Although I do agree it isn't the best situation "losing" $20,000 on a sled, I don't believe people go into this sport to make a cent out of modding and re-selling. There are so many variables that come to mind when thinking about purchasing a mod sled (this goes for any manufacturer); quality of work, usage, actual mileage, quality of parts, etc... For me personally, that plays a role in the "perceived value" of the sled. The $20,000 you put into the sled a year ago isn't worth $10,000 to me a year later. This conflict in perceived value between buyer and seller is the beauty of the free market. When it's all said and done, it's real worth is what you get out of it whether it be a dollar amount or the enjoyment you have riding it.

And to answer your original question, they are selling "cheap" because thats what people are willing to pay for them. Not to say they wouldn't spend more, but the bar has been set.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
There are people who are letting their INCREDIBLE mod sleds go at dirt cheap prices, so why whould anybody pay more for them when there is somebody out there( and lots of them), for whatever reason, willing to take HUGE loses on them. Kind of ruining it for some gus that want to sell for a decient price.

It sucks, but great for the buyers, and their doesn't seem tobe a lot of those either.

Is what it is.

Premium Features