• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer is talking me out of an alpha

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Went to a local dealer that sells cat, polaris, and skidoo. Talked to basically their test guy, seemed pretty knowledgeable and like a pretty technical rider. Talked with him for probably 30 minutes. Ive been on the fence about a new 850 polaris or a new alpha. The alpha price point had me swayed that way. But after talking with him, he basically told me id be disappointed with the alpha, saying its great for less experienced riders but when the terrain gets technical it washes out, the trail riding can be pretty sketchy, and while the rear feels nimble the front still feels wide and the body panels feel wide. And basically since im coming off an axys i should stick with that, and would be disappointed with the alpha. Now this guy does look like he has about 100 lbs on me and that may play into it as well. Anyone have thoughts on this? I honestly dont want to hear about polaris engine issues, i get it, so leave that out of this discussion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Haven't seen one report on here about anyone who switched from the Axys to the Alpha who was disappointed. Even the guys who own both seem happy. Maybe they make more money on the Poo;)

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
So he is a Polaris guy... I get it. I have ridden the Alpha, and have owned an Axys and the notion that it is better for less advanced riders is a joke. The idea that it doesn't perform in technical terrain is simply wrong. Most posts from guys switching seem to have a different opinion. The Alpha is the revolution.

Yes, the bodywork is wider than the Axys. Other than that, the list of pros for the Alpha tip the scales that way for me. The better shocks, better track, and monorail skid all position it higher than the Poo 850 IMO. I love how you can ease the Alpha around it tight tech terrain. Goes slow better than the Poo, backs up in deep snow better than the poo. I have not had it wash out but we have been drowning in deep snow this year so no chance to try it on hard snow yet.

If they get the 850 figured out, I think the Axys is an awesome mtn sled. Looks like they have made some good updates for 2020. They are super fun to ride, that is for sure and, you can feel the 20-30lb weight difference.

At this point though, my next sled will be an Alpha. I think it is easily as capable as the Axys in the right hands.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
So he is a Polaris guy... I get it. I have ridden the Alpha, and have owned an Axys and the notion that it is better for less advanced riders is a joke. The idea that it doesn't perform in technical terrain is simply wrong. Most posts from guys switching seem to have a different opinion. The Alpha is the revolution.

Yes, the bodywork is wider than the Axys. Other than that, the list of pros for the Alpha tip the scales that way for me. The better shocks, better track, and monorail skid all position it higher than the Poo 850 IMO. I love how you can ease the Alpha around it tight tech terrain. Goes slow better than the Poo, backs up in deep snow better than the poo. I have not had it wash out but we have been drowning in deep snow this year so no chance to try it on hard snow yet.

If they get the 850 figured out, I think the Axys is an awesome mtn sled. Looks like they have made some good updates for 2020. They are super fun to ride, that is for sure and, you can feel the 20-30lb weight difference.

At this point though, my next sled will be an Alpha. I think it is easily as capable as the Axys in the right hands.
Actually from the sounds of it he is a skidoo guy. But i made it clear up front i didnt want a doo.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
And honestly ive never been one to keep something stock so i can drop weight pretty quick with a can and some other stuff. Not really worried about that. And it looks like elevate kit has some good reviews coming out.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I liked riding my stock 18 mountain cat more than my 16 Axys with $11K in mods on it for what it's worth. I like my Alpha more than my stock mountain cat. The alpha traction/track is the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't seen anything this sled can't do even in the most tech steep tree'd terrain. Other than it can't elevator, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you want it to hold the steepest of sidehills.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’ve been trading off my alpha, 18’ cat and axys all year. Honestly, if I had to choose just one, it would be a tough choice if price wasn’t an issue. I would say go ride both before you decide, but sounds like that is not going to happen. If I was going to just buy one, it would be the alpha in 2020 with the new 800 ctec and the price diffetebce. The alpha is just a solid package that (if set up right) will perform in every situation far past your expectations. You really can’t go wrong with either sled, they are both amazing. Just don’t get talked into a ski doo.!

Olzy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2015
Went to a local dealer that sells cat, polaris, and skidoo. Talked to basically their test guy, seemed pretty knowledgeable and like a pretty technical rider. Talked with him for probably 30 minutes. Ive been on the fence about a new 850 polaris or a new alpha. The alpha price point had me swayed that way. But after talking with him, he basically told me id be disappointed with the alpha, saying its great for less experienced riders but when the terrain gets technical it washes out, the trail riding can be pretty sketchy, and while the rear feels nimble the front still feels wide and the body panels feel wide. And basically since im coming off an axys i should stick with that, and would be disappointed with the alpha. Now this guy does look like he has about 100 lbs on me and that may play into it as well. Anyone have thoughts on this? I honestly dont want to hear about polaris engine issues, i get it, so leave that out of this discussion.

Did You happen to be in Kremmling, Colorado? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Olzy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2015
Ok the dealer there seems favor polaris over cat and they sell both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
All of my Polaris friends that have rode the Alpha have liked it. A couple said that is the sled they would buy next year if they do. The only ones that don't are either Ambassadors, Salesman or 100% brand loyal that would not admit cat had a decent sled no matter what they came out with. In really hard snow the Axys has a slight edge at holding a steep sidehill line. Is that about 2% of your riding? Everywhere else the cat is ahead. Get the Alpha and rip it you will not be disappointed.

B
Feb 21, 2016
MN
I absolutely love my alpha over my 18 mountain cat. I have ridden my buddies turbi 16 axys with 36" front end and a 19 800 with the new 36 and that was a built turbo sled as well.. at the end of the day I still liked my stock alpha more. Even switched one of them over to an alpha for 2020! But I will definitely be getting the elevate kit though! Also my buddy that is buying a 2020 alpha is going to take the huge price difference and put it into parts on the sled. Figured could lose about 43 pounds for 2500

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I won't tell anyone what to buy. Anyone that does, anymore, is brand loyal. They are all good. Even the skidoo. If the new doo gets rid of some of unwanted feedback, with the new spindle and rubber, that will be huge. Don't buy into what the dealership told you. I had a guy at the polaris dealership tell me the alpha won't sidehill. Told him that was bs. He then told me they suck on the trail and just tip over. I told him that was bs and if I blindfolded him he wouldn't know whether it was a 2 rail skid or single. That pitch probably works for some people but it turns me off. I wouldn't buy from them if they had something I wanted because of that. Everything he told me was completely laughable. Samething with your guy. The alpha is flat out awesome and there is nothing it won't do in the right hands. If you think it won't sidehill, well, it won't elevator. What's that tell you. If you give it too much throttle at the wrong time it will swap in a hurry on slick snow but so will the others.
If I had to pick at it, it would be how low it sits. The elevate kit fixes that. It will be huge imo. If you have ever rode a pro and then got on an axys the difference in how they go through the snow was huge. Just spin a pro around, in a meadow, and jump on an axys and try it. Big difference. My only other gripe is the so called cat reliability. No big things. Just a lot of little things. Almost forgot the deep powder bog. The doo is hands down the best in deep powder. They never bog. I guess one more gripe about e start. I am getting a 2020 alpha and it will be a 154. It will not have factory e start. The seat and tank suck unless you are a trail rider. I will put it on a manual start.
From the factory, as they all come, I could probably gripe about the alpha the most but after people ride them I bet most wouldn't go back. My buddy. Who has a 16 axys turbo, loves it but is going to get a 850 axys. Just used to it and likes the Polaris. Buy any of the three.

Last edited:
N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
They both have their good and bad but my ideal sled would be a Polaris 850 with a 3" powerclaw. You get the light weight front end feel of the Polaris with the climbing of the cat. They both have their pros and cons. The cockpit of the cat is designed for someone under 5'5" it feels like. I'm 6'4" and I can barely sit on the seat without my knees banging into the panels. The bars are in your chest but you can get used to it.

Premium Features