• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Maps

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Question regarding fuel maps. I have a 2010 M8 with a Speedwerx pipe and a PC 5 fuel controller. Can I load the high elevation map and safely run my sled enough to let it warm up and get it on the trailer at low elevation? Usually I meet up with my group in ND, load my sled in the enclosed trailer, then switch the map to high elevation and head west. Reverse this process when I get back to ND. I normally use my work computer for this, but I got a new one and I can no longer install the software because IT has it blocked.

Can I safely let it warm up and load it in the trailer without running too lean and hurting anything?

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
What is the difference between your low and high elevation maps? With EFI there is no reason to have different maps for elevation, the ECU compensates for that on its own. That being said, for low load, you should be fine even if they're different.

freak007

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
What is the difference between your low and high elevation maps? With EFI there is no reason to have different maps for elevation, the ECU compensates for that on its own. That being said, for low load, you should be fine even if they're different.

The beauty of FI is the ECU automatically adjusts for altitude. Your PCV map should be tuned for an A/F ratio not a specific fuel quantity. It does this by intercepting the injector signal, modifying it based off the selected map (adds or removes a percentage of fuel based off TPS and RPM) and then sending it to the injectors. Since it still allows the factory ECU to calculate the "baseline" pulse width based off sensor inputs (coolant temp, air temp, barometric pressure, etc), the high and low altitude map should be the same...

Also, doesn't the PCV allow you to load 2 maps at once, amd select which one you want from the switch position?

R
It doesn't matter what map you have in, the ECU still compensates for temp and elevation. Get your baseline, then you are set, for all elevations.

Just make sure your tube is clear and clean on your ECU or you will have issues.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Thanks for the responses. I verified with Speedwerx and we are good to go. The switch is an add on that I don't have. Couldn't see spending the money when all I have to do is plug in and change the map.

Premium Features