• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 switchback sea level jetting low end loading up

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Hi
I want to re-jet my 06 it loads up after idling for a while but not an overly long while to soon in my opinion.

I was wondering if any one else feels this way,and what have you tried and what works.

stock @ sea level is 420 main,50 pilot .7 air jet,needle jet j8-9dgn06-57

I am not sure what the clip position is cause I havnt looked yet

My options the way I see it are :
1.move clip up on needle,adj fuel screw
2.put in larger air jet and adj fuel screw
3.put in smaller pilot jet and adj fuel screw
4.any combination of the above

I think I would like to do it without changing the amount of fuel delivery past off idle and into the main cct to much ,as I dont want to burn it down on those long periods at the same rpm on cold days

I live and ride @ sealevel most of the time and the temps can easily hit -25 celcious
Thanx in advance

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Drop the pilots down to 40's, and might be able to get away with dropping the needles to #2 from top. A Tempaflow helps also, but definitely drop on the pilots.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Drop the pilots down to 40's, and might be able to get away with dropping the needles to #2 from top. A Tempaflow helps also, but definitely drop on the pilots.

What elevation are you Marv1

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
07 RMK600 riding at 1200 feet, give or take a couple of hundred feet.

400 mains, good to -12F so far, no DET light.

45 pilots

Clip in number 2

fuel screw at 1.375 turns out.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Have they done away with the idle air screws like on the older flat-slides?

not sure what you mean by idle air screw but there is a screw that moves the slide up or down to adj the idle and there is a fuel mixture screw on the intake sidemanifold of the carb vice the breather side of the carb I hope I hsve answered your question winter brew

Its not my sled and the guy I will be doing it for doesnt have the time for tunning it so therefor I would like to get as close as possible on here and then go do it for real so please bear with me

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
not sure what you mean by idle air screw but there is a screw that moves the slide up or down to adj the idle and there is a fuel mixture screw on the intake sidemanifold of the carb vice the breather side of the carb I hope I hsve answered your question winter brew

Its not my sled and the guy I will be doing it for doesnt have the time for tunning it so therefor I would like to get as close as possible on here and then go do it for real so please bear with me

Thanks. The 40mm flat slides they used on the ves 800 like from '02-'05 had a small brass screw in addition to the big fuel screw, this allowed easy adjustment if idle mix. Alot of mfr's have gone away from this...must just be cheaper to produce, definatly not tuner friendly.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I'm at sea level and go up from there to 3k max. 50 pilots are a joke, I'm ordering 40's and installing them once broken in.

M
Jan 8, 2008
Its all about the fuel screws (white plastic knobs on the sides of the carbs) with this machine, in respect to the low end tuning. They are stupid rich from the factory, well over 2 turns open. After having my recalls completed a few weeks back, I was back to the loading up, bogging and black clouds in the snow after taking off. A half turn leaner (in) and she was all cleared up and running great again. Like someone said above, about 1-3/8 turns out should be about right.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I wsill try the screws on account of the simplicity adn cause of my friends time issue
Thanks
I will post results

Premium Features