• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are you being quoted for a new 850?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
163, 2.6” 850
E start, painted tunnel and rails
$1000 under Msrp, no set up fees, etc,
I’m really curious how folks are getting $1200 under msrp.
I’ve seen the dealer cost sheet. Dealer is giving it away at that point, not including hold back

You may not know all you think you do trust me there not giving them away

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
Anyone else put there order in or get a quote? I am going to order mine this weekend. I will update the OTD price when I decide on options.

Do you not trust your dealer? :face-icon-small-coo Hopefully your not going to drive 3 hrs to save 60bucks on your sled price....

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
-700 MSRP in AK @ my local dealer. Supposedly $500 above cost for them, not entrely sure I believe that, but they are a good dealer and treat customers well and we are pretty remote.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
So how many 850's got sold do we all think? Every dealer I talked to just to see how many sold said there over there allowance. What happens to the last people to check em if there over allowance. im just curious.

O
Dec 13, 2008
Bozeman,Mt
To all of those that doubt that Polaris is cracking down you will be surprised. They are coming down hard. There is a strong chance that snowchecks that fall through will be picked up by Polaris. Too many dealers were abusing the system. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. They could even have sleds pulled if they were enough offenses. Every dealer was alloted a certain amount. I know we were alloted 48 and ended at ike 42. The added benefit is that those numbers allowed us to order less 19 800s per our order agreement.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
To all of those that doubt that Polaris is cracking down you will be surprised. They are coming down hard. There is a strong chance that snowchecks that fall through will be picked up by Polaris. Too many dealers were abusing the system. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. They could even have sleds pulled if they were enough offenses. Every dealer was alloted a certain amount. I know we were alloted 48 and ended at ike 42. The added benefit is that those numbers allowed us to order less 19 800s per our order agreement.

It seems counterintuitive to say “abusing the system” more sold sleds are good for poo corporate right?

O
Dec 13, 2008
Bozeman,Mt
More sleds are good but at the same time it effects the dealers doing it by the book which also happens to be the dealers doing the most volume. Its also a reason we end up with sled values falling and everyone running around wondering why their sled is not worth anything. This way in February there aren't dealers freaking out selling 850s for $100 below cost just to move them. They are trying to get a grasp on the market and not flood it. People should be happy about it and not upset. It will help them maintain value longer.

C
Apr 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
East coast Canada

Switchback assault 144, 2.0, std guage, elect start, painted tunnel and rails.
MSRP was $16,162

Local dealer did $15,375 pdi and freight in. only taxes on top. (we get hosed royally at 15%)

Another dealer a few hours away gave me the msrp only.

Went with the local dealer, 1st polaris, 1st new sled ever, can't wait for winter now!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That isn't going to happen. Somebody may have sold you on the idea but cracking down will only hurt Polaris...

I disagree. Cracking down on false Snowchecks is a good first step.

Eliminating (or mostly eliminating) inflated snowcheck numbers will reduce a dealer's total sled order. Artificially high orders have been killing the sled market for years....due to the extreme excess of non-current in-season sleds in the field. Lessening that issue will hold the non-current prices up a little higher, which will eventually help the used resale.

It's a totally solid theory. Will it happen? No idea. But the logic works

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I disagree. Cracking down on false Snowchecks is a good first step.

Eliminating (or mostly eliminating) inflated snowcheck numbers will reduce a dealer's total sled order. Artificially high orders have been killing the sled market for years....due to the extreme excess of non-current in-season sleds in the field. Lessening that issue will hold the non-current prices up a little higher, which will eventually help the used resale.

It's a totally solid theory. Will it happen? No idea. But the logic works

Sounds like the balance is already there. I just read above that with more snow check orders the dealer was allowed fewer in seasons. Problem solved without some sort of "crack down". Polaris is STUPID not to allow dealers to have nicely painted sleds in showrooms, ie: snow checks.

Who wants to go to the dealer to see one color choice, no painted tunnels, or rails? The argument obviously being, Polaris can charge more by forcing you to snowcheck. I am not a current fan, twice bitten and all. I am waiting to see if the 850 pans out but no way am I ever ordering an overpriced by 2 grand snowcheck.

My argument being, you are unlikely to influence peoples price threshold with bully tactics. We shall see...

Sleds will STILL depreciate by a few grand after a season. If you raise the whole playing field ala minimum wage, you too will be paying more. Great plan, for Polaris anyway...

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Sounds like the balance is already there. I just read above that with more snow check orders the dealer was allowed fewer in seasons. Problem solved without some sort of "crack down". Polaris is STUPID not to allow dealers to have nicely painted sleds in showrooms, ie: snow checks.

Who wants to go to the dealer to see one color choice, no painted tunnels, or rails? The argument obviously being, Polaris can charge more by forcing you to snowcheck.
The crack down is on “fake” snow checks, as it cheapens the program. Snow check is a good program, as it helps dealers and manufacturers predict sales in a very tricky market. And the buyer usually gets a nicer sled, a better warranty and all that. If you want the cheapest new sled...the non currents take care of that. But on the dealer end, the non currents are money losers typically, so if that market shrunk, great.

With that....This year (first time ever) dealers were able to order a portion of the in-season models with the custom colours, shocks, 3” tracks etc. Only caveat is that they’re all 800’s. So there will be lots of cool 800’s to pick from in all sorts of combos.

That all said...hypothetically, if you just did away with snowcheck entirely and just let the dealers order whatever they wanted, I think that would be fine too. Works in every other type of vehicle, so I’m sure it would sort itself out in the sled world too.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
bad year to cut back.every dealer in north america will have 5-10 people on a 850 waiting list this fall.fail.
and hold over sales should be a good thing if selling oil,clothes,parts,trailers and warranty work if a engine blows.:)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Sounds like Polaris's plan is working:

http://snowgoer.com/news/polaris-announces-q1-profits-strong-snow-check-sales/25935/

Admitting that overall snowmobile sales were still below expectations this past season, CFO Mike Speetzen also noted during the conference call that, “North American pre-season snow check orders for model year 2019 are at a 17-year high driven by strength of the new 850 Patriot engine.”

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Hardly a "bully tactic". They had to try something different to get different results so they did. I'm not so soft that I feel like a victim of their new business plan.

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah

LOL This makes me laugh. Polaris Kool-Aid :juggle:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Not say its true but from what I was told they will be calling customers and more or less finding out if it was a customer that just didn’t pick up or dealer just ordered for stock

Called me one day after the Snowcheck to ask about my Snowcheck . They saw I ordered from a different dealer !!

My previous one was in a Town north of me and I returned to my local dealer this year. First time I've had that call . I have Snowchecked the previous 6 years so I did find it odd .

Last edited:

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
Anybody's dealer ever sneak a snow check in after the cutoff date? I believe mine was able to. Looking at a 2018 holdover sc and he said he maybe able to get an 850 yet after deadline. Gave him what I wanted and it was excepted?

Premium Features