• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

changing PTO side crank seal

F

fullboredragon

Mar 24, 2009
I blew a belt and it wrapped up around the shaft behind the primary stalling the sled, I removed all the shrapnal, and drove the sled a couple hundred feet to the road. Once I got on the road the sled started idling around 3500 rpm. So I suspected the crankseal was leaking, causing a lean condition. So we loaded the sled and hauled it home, where we pulled the clutch and shes definatly damaged....

My question is can the seal be replaced externally or does the case need to be split?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Yep did that myself this year already once. Sure would be nice if they would have made it replaceable like the doos

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
You could probably just pull the motor, flip it over, unbolt the cases and lift the bottom half off if you wanted, but I always do a full teardown. You'd have to remove the stator, flywheel, pto side torque mount bracket and water pump housing to split the cases. If you center the pistons between TDC and BDC you should be able to lift the crankshaft up enough to replace the seals. Just a thought.

Premium Features