• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slowest back in effect..

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Maybe we need another "For Sale" section to fix the problem?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
:devil::flypig::evil::boink::rip::lalala::painkiller::fencing::smash::moony::deadhorse:hmm where did all the upgrades go hhmm ha ha sorry had too

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Exactly what I was thinking - I just started getting on this site a few weeks ago again - and it is as slow as it used to be ! What did your premium membership get you again?????????

man im glad i didnt pay. this site has been slow lately. i thought all you guys paid to have this **** fixed.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Nevermind

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of a person or people to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely. Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers. The term is generally used with regards to computer networks, but is not limited to this field, for example, it is also used in reference to CPU resource management.[1] There are two general forms of DoS attacks: those that crash services and those that flood services.[2]
One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.
Denial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the IAB's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet service providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.[3]

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
This is pathetic....

Let me see if I got the history right.

1. Snowest works fine

2. Christopher comes along and convinces the SW management there is a profit to be had.

3. Christopher "makes the site better"

4. "Better" makes the site slow

5. Hardware upgrade is needed

6. Charge members

7. Site works fine

8. Christopher / SW Mgmt adds more adds. including my favorite flapping one

9. Site slow again

10. Blame it on a DOS attack by unruly members

11. Ask for more money from members or explain to them this form of annoying advertising is vital to keep SW afloat.

Heres a suggestion......Christopher you are clearly in over your head. Why not put SW back the way it was before you showed up. We managed to get by without all the features for years. Carefully plan your new modifications and test them before you put them on the live network.

Stop using the SW to make yourself a better Webadmin.....You learning curve is killing us.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
And that is why we think it was just simply user use......

Hey Christopher,

I'm truely trying to understand without thowing stones. Are you saying that these slowdowns were just a byproduct of too many users?..... Or was there some malicious stuff going on? From what I saw, it only seemed to happen in the eves and last weekend when there was a possiblity of lots of folks wanting to access the site.

If it was too many users(but not as many as the record), are the ads actually slowing things down?

Is the user/guest counter actually accurate. Would it count the attacker(s) multiple requests or just lock up.

Please help us understand what you (and we) are experiencing. :juggle:

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Best part I like, when these topics come up about "issues" with snowest they are quickly moved to the Suggestions and Feedback section. We all know most don't visit this section!!!!!!!!! Hurry up and move them so they aren't in the General section that the majority of people check out. Just my thoughts...thanks again!

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Its weird that they do move stuff, regardless of what the topic is

but this is the only section without restrictions...so nobody will be locked out after 75 posts.

Does seem like a rash of problems ever since the new Admin took over. And I can't for the life of me remember this site ever being under "attack" before that.

Hopefully all this can be sorted out before the snow flies and people really start trying to get on here.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We spend most of yesterday and a good part of the night working on the servers.

We THINK we finally figured out what was going on.

It had NOTHING at all to do with users.

It "looks" like it all might be traceable back to a small update that was sent to our server from GOOGLE that had some defective code embedded in it.

After installing that update we noticed an absurdly high number of search engine spiders hitting the site. The data requests on the server would jump 100 fold in the course of just a minute or so destroying the server's ability to respond. This is why we were wondering if this might have been a DOS attack. Everything would be fine, and then just a moment later all hell was breaking loose..

This would be like going from 2,000 users to, 200,000 users in the course of 1 minute. This crashed the servers repeatedly over the last couple days. Last night we were able to watch it happen several times in real-time and think we isolated it to the Google Code, which we removed.

Now tonight we will simply have to wait and watch and see what happens.

I apologize for the headaches this has been causing our members, but we are doing the very best we can to stay on top of it and determine exactly what is going on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No, it had nothing to do with ads.
The module controlled how the forum was spidered so when you go to the Google search engine you find content from SnoWest.

I just signed up after looking as a guest for quite some time and this is the first thread I was reading and got database error when going to the second page.

I think I will wait on spending any money here if this is how this forum works.

Quite the welcome!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As we continue to work on the servers.

SnoWest runs on 2 servers.

S1 handles the forums operations.
S2 handles the database.

This evening we DOUBLED the processing power and memory of S1.
This is the server that has been throwing fits this week.

Hopefully this will be yet another step in both stabilizing things, and increasing overall performance of the forums.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
You would think a forum that charges its users as well as has 5 times more ads and more annoying ads then all of the other similar forums would be able to at least run faster or stay running on a daily basis. I would be one pissed off MOFO if I paid for this site and every time I needed some information it was down like it has been whenver I've needed a question answered the last 3 days.

Premium Features