• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 and'09 ski alignment question

R
Nov 16, 2016
These are both Summit 800R 154" track sleds.

Should we see "tow in" or "tow out" at the shovel tips of our skis?
Currently, both sleds are towed out at the shovel ends.

If towed in..... what is the target measurement?
If towed out..... what is the target measurement?

What is recommended over that of the factory setting?

Rick E.

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Alignment

We set them toe out 1/4". That is close to factory spec, look in the shop manual for the exact measurement and where to take it, there are some marks on the skis.

R
Nov 16, 2016
We set them toe out 1/4". That is close to factory spec, look in the shop manual for the exact measurement and where to take it, there are some marks on the skis.

Eddy, thank you for that!

The one sled in question ('09 800R XP) is the same sled that does not feel/ride the same as our '08 800R XP does. The '09's tow-out was excessive. I did bring it in!

Prior to this, the '09 front end would appear to shift/wobble back/forth some (erractic tracking as though the skis were catching deep hard-pack snow tracks), whereas the '08 tracked well without the shifting/wobbling.

I also had to flip the '09's RH/LH sliders over (these were upside down) causing the RH/LH spring ends to occasionally contact the hyfax and the track. Fortunately, there is no damage!

Now with the sliders flipped over (springs on top of them), this sled sits higher and should (in theory) have more rear suspension travel.

So....... after adjusting and bringing "in" the excessive tow-out, perhaps this sled will feel and ride better.

Our season is just about over, so I am not sure that I'll be able to test it out until this coming Fall!

Thanks again,
Rick E

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just to add....make sure the spindle bushings/axle are in good shape. Its a good idea to remove, grease and replace if necessary at the end of the season. They tend to wear and seize if neglected and will make it impossible to get a good alignment.

Premium Features