• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 RMK 600

P
Aug 24, 2013
New to Polaris snowmobiles and just picked up a 2000 rmk 600 with 1,700 miles. Wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on any known flaws, etc.. with the 600 engine. What should the compression be on these? I will check and compare to see if any top end maintenance is in order. How many miles are people getting out of these sleds before any major overhauls? Any other nuances?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
with that low miles you should get a couple years trouble free. but the water pumps are known to go out, replacing the belt every couple thousand will help. oil pump is linked to the water pump pretty cheasily so those are known to go out too and usually pump full rich. And if it has the kehien carbs, those eventually wear out too, where the pin slides through the float towers.
other than that their pretty bulletproof, lol. 600 should last longer than a 700 from less vibration imo.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Cylinders have a compression relief hole in them so you're not going to get real high readings. I ran 42 pilots in mine and it cleaned up the bottom end nicely.
I had 12500 miles on two of them when I sold them. I expect they are still going strong. All I did to them other than regular maintenance on clutches etc. was to replace the pistons at 7500 miles. As mentioned check the water pump belt once in a while. sled_guy on this forum had brought in some kevlar reinforced water pump belts made by Gates about five years ago and they were great. I don't know part numbers.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
$hitcan the ACCS. Vent everything like an XC. You can buy the same year airbox top to eliminate the ACCS Hole.

38 pilots
1371g Needles
Run 2 sizes leaner for mains that what Polaris recommends for an XC 600 for your elevation.

run it @ 8200 on the tach as they usually read high.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Probably one of the more reliable machines. Will have to pay more attention to chassis maint and repair than the engine IMO.
Also keep a spare coolant temp sensor. Think they are the same as the 800s in that if they crap out, sled won't run and can short circuit it with out a resistor.
Cheap insurance to have a spare. Since I towed my 01 800 1 fall, I carried a spare for years but never needed it lol.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Probably one of the more reliable machines. Will have to pay more attention to chassis maint and repair than the engine IMO.
Also keep a spare coolant temp sensor. Think they are the same as the 800s in that if they crap out, sled won't run and can short circuit it with out a resistor.
Cheap insurance to have a spare. Since I towed my 01 800 1 fall, I carried a spare for years but never needed it lol.
I ended up switching out to a coolant temp Guage. Didn't even know about that possibility of happening with the stock sensor. I just like to know before my sled gets hot. Im also running quite a few mods and require high octane fuel but either way it's nice to know where you are running. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

A
Dec 12, 2015
Southern Oregon
accs ?

ACCS. Vent everything like an XC. You can buy the same year airbox top to eliminate the ACCS Hole.

Ok call me uninformed, but willing to learn. I purchased 2 2000 700 RMKs 1500 and 3200 miles. Checked them out and ready to go. Just read about ACCS and venting, if it works on a 600 should make a 700 a little better? Just checking. Run between 4000 and 6500'.
Thanks

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
ACCS. Vent everything like an XC. You can buy the same year airbox top to eliminate the ACCS Hole.

Ok call me uninformed, but willing to learn. I purchased 2 2000 700 RMKs 1500 and 3200 miles. Checked them out and ready to go. Just read about ACCS and venting, if it works on a 600 should make a 700 a little better? Just checking. Run between 4000 and 6500'.
Thanks

The 700 engine seemed to have more issues with the ACCS than the 600 for some reason so definitely go for it.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
I heard all around the accs fails. Almost every sled of those years I've seen have the venting done. I have an air box that has it done in my living room if your want pictures of how it was done. Pretty simple really

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I heard all around the accs fails. Almost every sled of those years I've seen have the venting done. I have an air box that has it done in my living room if your want pictures of how it was done. Pretty simple really

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm trying to help a buddy get a lost and forgotten 99 600 going. We're about to ditch the ACCS so I'd like love to see a pic of what you did.

We're dealing with what sounds like all the normal problems: sled is running way rich, dumping fuel, backfires at idle, sometimes gets up to rpms but fights the whole way there........etc etc.....

Anybody know if the rack mikuni carbs from a 2001 600 XC will work?

Last edited:

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I'm trying to help a buddy get a lost and forgotten 99 600 going. We're about to ditch the ACCS so I'd like love to see a pic of what you did.

We're dealing with what sounds like all the normal problems: sled is running way rich, dumping fuel, backfires at idle, sometimes gets up to rpms but fights the whole way there........etc etc.....

Anybody know if the rack mikuni carbs from a 2001 600 XC will work?

YES RACK CARBS WILL WORK..Had them on my 99 600 just leave the TPS alone do not remove..

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
YES RACK CARBS WILL WORK..Had them on my 99 600 just leave the TPS alone do not remove..

The TM38s are the ones I want right? Does it matter if it's of a VES motor or not?

Do I need to change jets or needles based on elevation?

Last edited:

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
The TM38s are the ones I want right? Does it matter if it's of a VES motor or not?

Do I need to change jets or needles based on elevation?

if i remeber the 38s correct and double check jetting and run what it states for the ves and it does not matter ves or non..i can look in one of my books and see if i can find them..

Premium Features