• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Torsion Spring Delete Question

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
OK, I'll display my ignorance. What is the answer to the questions in the last bullet?

This is a screenshot from Tom's Snowmobile Tech page. When I first started reading it I thought "torsion bar" meant the front sway bar but I'm pretty sure he's referring to the rear skid torsion springs. However, I'm not savvy enough to understand the point of the last bullet.

Can someone enlighten me?

Tom's Torsion Delete.PNG

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
26 views so far and nobody knows. Maybe I'm not as stoopid as I thought. :face-icon-small-coo

It's in reference to deleting the rear torsion springs, skidoo is notorious for bad rear skids they do not do their sleds justice. Bad wheelie habits and weight transfer leading to trenching ie. track is spinning but ground speed is poor due to not being up and out of the snow. It's a massive difference putting good suspension on a doo.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
It's in reference to deleting the rear torsion springs, skidoo is notorious for bad rear skids they do not do their sleds justice. Bad wheelie habits and weight transfer leading to trenching ie. track is spinning but ground speed is poor due to not being up and out of the snow. It's a massive difference putting good suspension on a doo.

Ah... now I think it makes sense. In the case of the last bullet the track speed is good but you have to turn out of the hill because that track speed is not resolving itself into ground speed due poor weight transfer management of the stock skid.

Did I get that right?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Ah... now I think it makes sense. In the case of the last bullet the track speed is good but you have to turn out of the hill because that track speed is not resolving itself into ground speed due poor weight transfer management of the stock skid.

Did I get that right?

More or less yeah. You are "in" the snow not "on" the snow.

EDIT: I'll fall on the sword for this one. Tom sent that to me in an email and I posted it direct to the site with minimal proofreading. His email was more intended for me to read and parse out something everyone can understand, not post directly. On second read, yeah, I should change this!

F

fishstick

Banned
Oct 4, 2014
Is Tom's the only one that does a Float to replace the torsion springs. Id be interested in on if it was just a simple shock swap.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Just not that simple.
1st item; Float bodycap will not fit in stock arm.
2nd; stock arm not designed to work with air shock ramp curve
3rd; shock travel to suspension travel not compatible/ shock would bottom out before you reached bump stops on rail. That would be bad in the long run

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I'm interested in trying Toms setup on my 850, have had good experiences with fox floats in the past. My main focuse is a skid that I can delete the torsion springs and lock out the Tmotion (lots of ways of achieving this, probably run Munsters delete), just a few questions about Toms kit.

1. Emotion has 2 articulation points, I know one at the bottom hemi joint (like tmotion) where's the other ? Top of the rear arm ?

2. Is there a way to lock out all the Emotion and have a ridged setup ?

I'm torn between Toms setup and run floats all around possibly adding the ZRP zmotion as well or doing Zbros Exit shocks all around and their coil conversion with the ZRP zmotion.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Z motion doesn't work with Tom's. I have them both on my 154 and you can't install the Z motion in the back hole like it is supposed to. I still think the ARC is the best system...

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
That’s why there’s two links. Click on the second link and scroll down to rear track shock kits.

I know you didn’t design the website so it might not be up to your standards.��

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
That’s why there’s two links. Click on the second link and scroll down to rear track shock kits.

I know you didn’t design the website so it might not be up to your standards.��

Ah ha! I missed it! My mistake!

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
I just installed Tom's kit and was wondering if anyone in hear had some good setup advice?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
I just installed Tom's kit and was wondering if anyone in hear had some good setup advice?
Tom has a couple of charts floating around that give a good baseline set up (pressures) for Mtn Riding/Agressive Mtn. Riding, Jumping, Trail etc. I just googled "Toms air suspension set up chart" and was able to find it. I used this when setting up my sled and tweaked it from there. Since then i've kept a chart of where the air pressure on each shock is at. Enjoy!

ski-doo-it

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2009
woodinville
Love my Toms set up on my 850
Highly recommend
Start with the set up chart and adjust to your preference

Premium Features