• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Cat going to fix the M800's with belt problems?

32longtrack

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
I'm on my third belt I have 571 miles on it. I love the chassis its just awsome. But I can't have a sled that blows belts like this...I will not modify anything on this sled until this major problem is fixed. But what if Cat will not fix the 2012's? Soon the 2013's will be out. Someone would be taking a 12,000.00 plus gamble buying a 2013 M800 it may eat belts just as bad. I would not recommed anyone buy one until this is fixed. You might get lucky and get one that doesnt munch belts. What is different with the 1100T they do not seem to be eating belts? Should I start the process of returning the sled under my states lemon law? Should I lawyer up and see what my option are both of these option will cost even more money. If you are having belt problems are you getting new belts covered under warranty or are they making you buy them? My dealer has not given me an answer if it will be covered. I keep reading that Cat is aware of the isssue and they are working on a fix...Are you Cat? If cat fixes the problem I would recommed this sled to others and will buy more sleds from you in the future as well as other products. I just don't know if it will be fixed.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Welcome to the the last three really stressfull months of my life. Half the forums didnt bieleve me in the beginning... I garantee i can get on anyones sled and pull a nasty left handed carve melt there plastics and get there belts hot enough to blow.....

Because no dealers would help us we have ground off helix's that dealers wont take back. Cause all a sudden now the 42/40 is the helix to run!?!?!? So we get to buy a new helix. Which we wouldnt have had to grind if they cast them properly.....Or if any dealer was willing to do anything to help clutching. This whole scene is leaving a disgusted taste in my and several others mouths with cat, makes me wonder if some peoples oil lines really cought there sled on fire or if they just told ac to kiss my *** and lit it on fire.

So cat let me get this right i should just keep buying 083 belts and blowing them every 40 miles, no dealers do anything. You wont give me belts, then when i work on my clutches trying to ge better belt life, fix your engineering flaws with strap/ground helix. You voide my warranty and make me buy a helix...

Lovely... And yeah i wont be racing your sled cat, i cant its not reliable enough to void the warranty doing so.

Thanks for ruining my racing season.

Screams class action law suit with how many belts people are buying on these improperly designed sleds, soon as someone gets hurt blowing a new belt up. I can tell you if it blows up and totals my sled on a hill climb and hurts me in the process my lawyers getting a phone call.

-Aksnopro

K
Nov 27, 2007
Cat

Cat has to come up with something before 2013 snowcheck or they will loose alot of orders,it has been said before but it is similar in some ways to the polaris 900.Yes i said it!

32longtrack

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
In my opinion it is extremely important not to modify this sled in anyway because cat will void the warranty. Which in turn limits your legal options. I do understand wanting to make the sled better than stock, I don't blame anyone, I mod my sleds. I thought this sled would have some teething problems. I bought into the whole we tested the sled for 4 years on the snowcross track but its untrue. Basic 101 sled design make sure the sled will not destroy belts. I feel for anyone having belt problems its terrible. It would be interesting to see how many M800's are having belt problems my hope is the numbers are high enough to force cat to deal with it...if not this is going to get ugly.
How many engineers work for Cat? They most likely work a 40 hour week how long would it take to come up with a solution. I love this sled/chassis its the most fun sled I have ridden and on par with a pro with subtle differences. Come on Cat step up and get this Fixed ASAP!!!

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I cant wait to go to the dealer show, Prob turn out how skidoos show was a few years ago when they had all the issues with the 07 sleds. I feal bad for these Dealer Reps that will be showing up at these shows that will be coming up like West Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. They better show up with some security so the lynchmob of angry cat customers dosn't hang them from a tree. I wasnt thier but i heard the skidoo show was brutal that year, all the dealers were pissed.

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I heard from my buddy that he received a call from someone at AC in Minn. today and he told me that they have a new belt coming in the next week or so
( harder compound he said).

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Absolutely, hope you guys don't end up with a $180 belt like Polaris guys did after the 900 problems.

The belt is a cover up for the real problem. I am on my 6th season on my RMK 900 with a 975 kit, way more power than the cat 800. I am still running the old 3200080 $80 belt from Polaris and have never blown a belt. I have the SLP arms installed and I spent a lot of time aligning the clutches after I bought it (original owner blew 21 belts in 1 1/2 seasons).

A harder compound belt is not the solution. The same engine was in the 2011 M8 and we heard nothing about belts!!!!! In my opinion the belt is not the problem.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
A harder compound belt is not the solution. The same engine was in the 2011 M8 and we heard nothing about belts!!!!! In my opinion the belt is not the problem.

Exactly.

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense would see this as hugely obvious.

The fact that anyone at cat thinks that's an answer to the problem, is rather telling.

That stock price & their business choices... are going to be pointless if they don't take care of the ACTUAL customer with a solid product.

I would like to know the difference in the sleds that don't blow belts though... there are a few people riding hard with no issues... and some folks going through them like water... something must be different.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Lets hope they do something. I was thinking of snow checking one this year. I would think Cat will fine tune things for the 2013's. They are not going to let things go and not listen to what everyone is saying. They would be stupid to do that and loose all that revenue.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Screw it, if I can't have a reliable sled I can mod and trust its going to hold up, I just as well have a pro, if they don't fix something my backup/ NA sled will be a pro.

K

Klimbing Kitty

Exactly.

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense would see this as hugely obvious.

The fact that anyone at cat thinks that's an answer to the problem, is rather telling.

That stock price & their business choices... are going to be pointless if they don't take care of the ACTUAL customer with a solid product.

I would like to know the difference in the sleds that don't blow belts though... there are a few people riding hard with no issues... and some folks going through them like water... something must be different.

Well mine is parked 6 belts 500 miles. The belt is not the issue at all it is in the twisting and lifting between secondary and primary without a doubt. When i called Dayco they laughed and said they would not sell a belt for the sled until CAT fixed there $hit. I have a hard time believing that when cat goes out testing it that they are riding in 3 feet of pow. they are on a hard packed trail. I may ride hard but all my other sleds boosted ones included have awesome belt life. At the moment it is 2X cheaper to run my race gas turbo then it is to take my bone stock 2012 sled out.

signed
Fing fed up KK

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have a hard time believing that when cat goes out testing it that they are riding in 3 feet of pow. they are on a hard packed trail. I may ride hard but all my other sleds boosted ones included have awesome belt life.

I've seen the cat guys ride... it's a sad sad thing.

Saw some of them at Grand lake one day, they never left the seat to climb a hill... we all sat there shaking our heads.

Honestly, it amazes me that they create the sled that they do, when they ignore CB enough that he leaves, and they obviously ignore Brett's advice...

They just don't get it.

BUT... the motor rips, and until POO changes, or Cat stops that tradition... I'll be riding a cat I guess!:face-icon-small-dis

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Dont get me wrong i love the sled and can handle almost any malfunction that cat admits and engineers a fix for but belt issues are a whole different story, i will be on a pro with a 4 year warranty next season if they dont do something for me for the 7 belts i have bought, and the stress i have endured with them not admitting it. The phone conversation was strait insulting, what the dealers are told to tell us even more insulting, but most insulting is a 13 k investment that im almost 700$ into belts in 3 months, completely unacceptable... If they started giving belts and admit theres a problem. I could accept that.

Cat i hope these 6 belts were worth a customer who's bought a sled every other year walking away from you.

Dont bandaid this problem cat, and Fixing it will be nice but you have damage control to do now too, if you come out with a new belt that works you need to exchange everyones pulled corded 083's with the new proper belts.

I converted 4 of my buddys to cat this year too and all of them are shaking there head at me......

Fml!
-Aksnopro

Premium Features