• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running Tom's with Z-Motion?

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Did it swing past the apex and get stuck down? Maybe mount a rubber bump stop from a skid rail on that cross member and call it good?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I just moved the pivot point to the forward hole which is the original hole. I was thinking maybe the back hole is for a 165 or 175?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You can also lengthen the heim. Typically 5-6 threads will bring the rear lower pivot closer to a 90 deg. angle. Some forward lean is ok.

Tom you really hurt my feelings. You never called me back and I never saw this piece that you were going to make so I went out and bought the Z motion. Worked awesome today though:face-icon-small-coo

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I just moved the pivot point to the forward hole which is the original hole. I was thinking maybe the back hole is for a 165 or 175?

I have a 165 and the ZRP rail braces + link has two options in the brace to mount the link but only the fwd holes lines up to my rail. I stare at it wondering if I need to drill out the rail to accommodate the aft hole on the brace. I have one of the off pattern rails though so I'm not sure if others have two holes there.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I drilled the hole out. I think if I threaded the hym out like Tom suggested it probably wouldn't fold back the wrong way but even with it mounted on the front hole it sure seems to control the ski lift a lot better.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I drilled the hole out. I think if I threaded the hym out like Tom suggested it probably wouldn't fold back the wrong way but even with it mounted on the front hole it sure seems to control the ski lift a lot better.

Good to know, thanks Chadly. I keep it in the fwd hole for now.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
I have a 165 and the ZRP rail braces + link has two options in the brace to mount the link but only the fwd holes lines up to my rail. I stare at it wondering if I need to drill out the rail to accommodate the aft hole on the brace. I have one of the off pattern rails though so I'm not sure if others have two holes there.
The rear-ward holes are to be drilled-out and used as the new mounting holes for the zmotion to function properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
The rear-ward holes are to be drilled-out and used as the new mounting holes for the zmotion to function properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In the very first photo that Chadly shows he has it in correct holes, but it collapsed forward. Why would it do this. I’ve never had this issue, but have ice age Bomber rails vs stock setup w/ brace.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Toms or ZRP will probably give a better answer but Tom mentioned that the Heim joint(rod end) should be adjusted out. What it looks like is if the joint is adjusted correctly when the track drops(like in a jump or riding whoops) it can’t ever get to the point where that arm comes forward and collapses into the track. It looks like if that rod end is too far into the upper arm when the track drops the upper and lower arms go either straight in line or over center. Then it’s prolly 50/50 whether it goes back into position correctly or “pelican legs” into the track.
Probably not the instructions that came with the parts. :face-icon-small-hap

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
In the very first photo that Chadly shows he has it in correct holes, but it collapsed forward. Why would it do this. I’ve never had this issue, but have ice age Bomber rails vs stock setup w/ brace.

He has no scissor stops installed so that would be the most likely reason why.
Toms may not be compatible with the zmotion, but I have no knowledge of the Toms kit to say for sure.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Yep the stock T-motion arm has a stop on it that prevents it from folding forward. I see now what’s going on. If he lengthens the heim joint like Tom said he should be good and able to run it in correct position. I am also using Toms kit with the Z motion, just hadn’t run into this problem. Did it happen loading onto your deck? I could see it being possible if front track shock compressed while rear shock was fully extended.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Yep the stock T-motion arm has a stop on it that prevents it from folding forward. I see now what’s going on. If he lengthens the heim joint like Tom said he should be good and able to run it in correct position. I am also using Toms kit with the Z motion, just hadn’t run into this problem. Did it happen loading onto your deck? I could see it being possible if front track shock compressed while rear shock was fully extended.

That's exactly when it happened when I put it on the deck

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I threaded it out as far as I could safely and moved it to the back hole. First time I put the sled on the deck it collapsed forward again. I would say the Z-motion doesn't work with the Tom's kit for how Zollinger says it is supposed to be installed.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Running it on the front hole seem to make a huge difference. I honestly think the combination between your set up and their's it doesn't need to be mounted in the rear hole...

Premium Features