• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

550 fan Jetting and burn-down issues....

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
2002's vs later models

I was looking at the exhaust setups on the Polaris OEM sites.

My 2002's seem to have a larger can under the cowling as well as a 1/16th" heat shield that is attached to the can. The closest distance between the can and the cold air intake for the fan is about 6", which, as mentioned has the shield protecting it.

As info.

Rick

M
Dec 28, 2009
St Paul, MN
Ok, got the sled back together (installed 2 Wisco pistons, wrist pins, clips and bearings) just ordered the oil kit. I will get that installed before running it. I am going to run 100:1 in at least the first tank. I will also run the other sled with same oil level and check often for simmilar use. I will look at going with some internal 'ducting' direct to the fan area like others have mentioned. AND CROSS MY FINGERS.

More later,
Mike

T

Tom400CFI

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
Seems this thread just died. Hey you guys, esp. Tom, did you find a final solution to the problem?

Sorry if I left you hanging...it WAS April...season was over.

We have only had ONE engine failure this year so far, in a fleet of 40 machines. So we've had a significant improvement....no thanks to Polaris or any dealers. Here's the "formula" that we applied:
*Jetting; feed it what it wants. They're all a little different; read pistons and jet accordingly.
*Cold Air Intake for the fan. Mandatory. I posted earlier that we were seeing cooling fan INLET temps of 175*F(!). Too hot. We fab'ed some cold air intakes and also bought some from Poo. The Poo ones are a direct bolt on but are total garbage. They fall apart w/in weeks due to motor movement, and the fitment to the hood. You can build a better one at home.
*Pistons: Forged, w/"large" clearances. We're now setting them to .005" out the door. The cast pistons seize w/proper clearances and break skirts w/larger clearances.
*Oil Pump Bleed kit. I don't know how or why, but the oil pump DOES "MANUFACTURE" AIR. Incredible. So you do need the oil pump bleeder kit on this particular model.

That's about it. W/all those "band-aids", the machine seems to run O.K. and have a usable, but still lower than "normal" (in my mind) life span. I think a fan sled should run for 10k miles. They won't go past 5k, but at least they're looking like they're are going to make a season now. I can't wait until they're gone.

Last edited:
J
Nov 9, 2010
THANKS Tom400CFI- I'm a fellow 550 sufferer

Hey Tom-
Well, I bought a 2001 600 xc/sp and a 550 fan this summer- great deal from a guy who meticulously maintained them. The 550 was blown up though......thought this was a good project for my son and I.......now I'm not so sure....

WOW- you really are an asset to this post and any 550 owner. Thanks!

I am getting ready to rebuild my 550 for this winter- but I do see a difference from mine to most of the posts here. Both my cylinders/pistons were siezed/scored, and they both look DRY- the PTO side more than the other. My oil pump was wet, and somewhere actually leaking, though no smoking gun.

So has anyone confirmed that the 2001's are "better" when it comes to the heat issues? It just seems like my issue is more oil related.

Tom400CFI (If you are still willing to talk about this issue!!)- if I am correct, you have tightened up your piston clrarance to .005 from .007 as you got the heat and oil issues under control, correct?

Any chance you have more data from the rebulds you have out there? How many miles or hours you have on what setup?

Also, none of the pictures show up anymore in this thread- any idea why?? Have we started a new post, or just the summer off? I'd really like to see some of the pictures posted- like the burn downs, piston wash, ands the cold air intakes.

Anyone still on this?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

P

propilot

Nov 15, 2010
thanks guys!!

Hats off to all of you, a lot of hard work trouble shooting these things. I just picked up a 02 RMK trail 550 for my wife, unfortunately it was before I read this. The sled runs well but haven't had it in the snow yet. It only has 419 miles on it. My question is do I spend the money to ensure it won't melt down or so I just sell and buy a water cooled sled?

L
Oct 3, 2010
I think the problem in this thread related more to the 550 Fans in Edge Chassis, made after around 2003. Not sure if the same problems existing in the earlier RMK version. Anyway, after reading through this thread, I still went ahead and purchased 2 - 2004 550 Fan Sport Touring. Both of these had top ends rebuilt over the last two years, and have close to 3500 miles each. They did not have any of the modifications mentioned above (not even the oil bleeder kit), and still must have been running fine to have that many miles.

Since the problems were also associated with the type of trail riding in the 30-50 MPH range, I did not put too much trust in the miles, and installed the hood duct kit. The kit from Polaris comes with Oil Bleed Kit, Fuel Pump Relocation Kit, exhaust Y pipe insulation, and additional cutouts into the nose cone front and sides for better air circulation. The Kit was around $180 and took me a couple of hours to install. The kit fit perfectly over the fan and aligned with a new air intake that I had to cut out in the hood. Now the outside air (30-40 degree even on hot days) is sucked directly into the fan, that was previously sucking hot air from inside the engine/exhaust compartment(175 degree). The kit said that it is for 2007-2009 550 fans, but fit perfectly on the 2004 fan.

Did'nt just stop there. Got me some exhaust insulation (Heatshield) and covered most of the exhaust pipe. Cost of that was about $100 plus 30 minutes of my time.

I picked up the sleds cheap for $1250 each. Put in another $300, and I think I am all set. I may still change the needle jets (another $50 plus labor), but am not sure if the needles were changed per Polaris recommendations when the top ends were re-built (Any idea on how to check if these were upgraded?).

These are just my play sleds for when I want to go 2-Up, as my family typically rides individually on RMKs and a AC King Cat (in the west). That can tell you that I an not a die-hard brand fan of Polaris or AC.

Folks on this forum and others similar forums have spent a lot of time and effort on explaining some basic problem (heat related) and offered a combination of solutions. Increasing fuel richment (changing needle jets and settings), increasing piston clearance (so expansion due to heat would not sieze the engine), oil bleed kits (so that hot oil does not form an air bubble), fan duct kits (to get cooler air into the engine), fuel pump relocation, and additional openings in the hood and nose pan all attempt to reduce engine temps. The 550 is a big motor for fan to cool. In 2003-04 polaris attempted to get a little more umph out of the motor and may have leaned it a bit too much. Combined with not so effecient (cooling) Edge chassis design, and they had a disaster. The 550 fan engines were manufactured (with most of the above mentioned upgrades) all the way into 2009 (Not sure about 2010 and beyond). So there does not seem to be a mechanical issue with the fan motor after the corrections.

With the understanding that the money I spent on these two sleds was "play money", I have no problem if it all goes south. As in Las Vegas we say, gamble with only what you can afford to lose. I dont intend to use these to go too far or back/forth to work and always have my Sat phone, GPS, Snowshoes, and Survival gear with me. So safety risk is minimal.

In reading these forums, we should understand that most folks who turn to these are the ones who have problems (as most feedback is negative). No one whose 550 fans are running great will Google "Burndown problems and Jetting Issues". Out of tens of thousands of 550 fans sold, there may be problems with a bunch of those. Others are running just fine.

Thanks again for everyone on this forum on making us educated on the issues related to the 550 fan. Now lets go out and have some snow fun....

C

chopper

Nov 27, 2007
Niseko,Japan
cold air intake 550 fan

could someone please post some pics of the cold air intake setup, polaris or DIY ones

what a thread!:present:
big thanks

U
Dec 28, 2014
I have read this whole thread and would like to add some additional info. I have a 2001 440 xcf fan that is basically the same motor except smaller. Has the case reeds and all. I bought this machine for my son thinking it was a good upgrade from the very dependable 340 Indy Lite that he grew out of. This sled suffers from the same problems as discribed with the 550's. The 440 is a high output fan that when runs , screams. Last year the sled lost the mag side piston which I thought to be just a weak piston since it looked like the ring land had broken away and caught the exhaust port. Then found out that there were no pistons to be had..... Anywhere! I could not understand that at all, tried national poo dealer search, tried Weisco, kimpex and others. Luckily thru on another forum found a person willing to part with a very good used one. Bought new rings, had cyl re nik'd and thought I had it. Put the motor back together and it ran about 25 miles and this time the pto side did the same thing, the mag side even showed some scoring on the rebuilt cyl. This sled would run really good on very cold days and have problems on warm ones. As soon as it would warm up it would bog and lose power. This all make sense after reading this thread and all the work you guys have done. Now the sled is basically junk since I cannot get any pistons and found out that the heat problem was probably the cause all along.. The reason I ended up here was that I was researching considering putting in a 550 fan to save an emaculate sled that will now be parted out. I have been a poo guy since 1979 ( Tx 440 ) . I have a 2001 xc 500 sp with 9k on it and the motor has never been opened, it runs as good as the day it was bought. Think I'll will stay away from any of the new fans. Can understand why some of you guys are jumping ship, may be in my future too!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Upnorth,

Sorry to hear your troubles. I think we all battle the decision to go fan or liquid. Too bad common wear parts like pistons are no longer available.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Upnorth,

Sorry to hear your troubles. I think we all battle the decision to go fan or liquid. Too bad common wear parts like pistons are no longer available.

I had 550 problems early. Eliminated the oil injection and had over 5000 trouble free miles. These little engines have been run to the pin all day long. Ring lands finally wore out. Cranks are at Dan's for rebuild and new pistons will be in soon. One crank will stay with the isoflex BRP bearings and the other will retain stock components.

Advice

Hi Tom - we live on an island in central Ontario. In Winter we use our sleds for transportation back and forth to mainland - which is less than 1km each way. Usually 2 up, often towing small sleigh. I have a 2006 Edge touring 550. We have always run fan cooled sleds as liquids either take too long to warm up, or overheat on bare ice.

My I rebuilt my 550 with spi pistons and extra clearance. It has 280pto/270mag jetting. Needles clipped in middle.

It always seems to run too rich, especially in warmer weather. too the point of bogging where I have to coax it to get on the pipe.

on one of your old posts you said you uses 220 mains. That seems like a HUGE drop from stock, but maybe it;s the way I should go? We do not use it for long trial rides - although sometimes kids go for a 25 minutes rip around island.

Can I safely go down to much smaller jetting to get better warm weather running? I know these engines have burn down issues.

Thanks and sorry for long email

Mac

Premium Features