• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Picked up 17' Husky 501fe and new TE

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I just picked up a new 2017n Husky 501fe and have on order a new TE Aro 137le for next winter...
Now its time for the setup mods..Here is what I am thinking - would love suggestions and feedback if I am on the right track.

• New Vortex ECU ( either from PR2 or KTMandHusky)
  • Slip on FMF
  • Smog delete
  • Power Intake Tube and grunt exhaust manifold ( from KTMandhusky.com)
  • Heat shield
  • Airpro Fork kit
  • New foot pegs
  • Handlebar gaurds
  • anything missing.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Keeping it warm

You will find in our winter conditions it is very hard to keep your bike warm. The PR2 will help you but you will definitely need to completely shroud your engine and I also suggest packing some kind of foam between the skid plate and around the opening such as the back of the engine were snow gets thrown on it from the track. Also fabricate up some quick radiator covers that you can slip in. Mine fit between my radiator guards and my radiators and I can take them in and out in seconds. It is constant adjustment, too warm/too cold. Your bike already has a fan so that's good. Basically you will be watching your temperature gauge a lot and going from there.
I wish you had just bought a holdover 17 so you could go riding with me tomorrow!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Looking at your post again, I don't see radiator guards or temperature gauge. The Husky may have a temperature gauge on the computer but I would still put a TTO one on so it's easier to see. Gonna be a long summer ? (But it hasn't started yet!)

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
great info.. loving this bike! can not wait to get the mods going.

Does anyone have feedback on both KTMandHusky.com and PR2 ( to buy the programmed Vortex ECU from?).. talked with both and they were really helpful and seemed knowledgeable on what they offer..

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
great info.. loving this bike! can not wait to get the mods going.

Does anyone have feedback on both KTMandHusky.com and PR2 ( to buy the programmed Vortex ECU from?).. talked with both and they were really helpful and seemed knowledgeable on what they offer..

PR2 great service and work awesome.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
I have the PR2 Vortex on my 16 KTM SXF 450. The PR2 includes snow bike specific maps. While Dave at KTM/Husky knows bikes and his fueling corrections are what the bikes need. I am not sure it would work as well to eliminate the over fueling with cooler motor temp fluctuations the snow bikes see.

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have the PR2 Vortex on my 16 KTM SXF 450. The PR2 includes snow bike specific maps. While Dave at KTM/Husky knows bikes and his fueling corrections are what the bikes need. I am not sure it would work as well to eliminate the over fueling with cooler motor temp fluctuations the snow bikes see.

Thanks.. I am pulling the trigger on items today..PR2 seems like the way to go for the ECU

S
Feb 9, 2017
Shouldn't need the Airpro system since you'll already have air forks. May need stiffer valving or just pump them up to stiffest recommendations.

I would do some radiator guards and quick slip in covers like mentioned earlier for deep pow days, thin plastic works well. A thermostat is a must have. Full wrap handguards are good, the flag style that come on the bike will offer some protection but could very easily break. I run full length fork skins with the fork guards on which offers a little more protection and the snow doesn't stick to the fork skins. I have liked my Tusk radiator cap thermometer to see water temps.

I have not been overly impressed with the intake kits offered by the snow bike kit manufacturers so far, so I would possibly recommend building your own intake system. frozenboost.com has a lot of options of silicone boots and fittings to make that happen. K&N has a lot of different treated pre-filters to choose from as well. Here is the link for where to find them be sure to scroll down to locate the "drycharger" pre filters https://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

A small Red Fuel like auxiliary battery jump starter may not be a bad idea with the button only starter. Those lithium batteries don't like the cold.

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Shouldn't need the Airpro system since you'll already have air forks. May need stiffer valving or just pump them up to stiffest recommendations.

I would do some radiator guards and quick slip in covers like mentioned earlier for deep pow days, thin plastic works well. A thermostat is a must have. Full wrap handguards are g.....

I thought an PR2 ECU eliminates the need for changing out the thermostat?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
PR2 for sure on the ECU.

Wouldn't bother with the stuff from the other guy on the airbox. Just get the reeds out, and call it a day.

Also wouldn't bother with the snow specific air boot stuff, just the snow cover for your stock air filter. Yes in super deep you can get a little snow in the box, but for the most part it works great and is a clean and easy setup.

S
Feb 9, 2017
I am no ECU expert but I do know that warm engines run better than cold ones. The thermostat will help bring the temp up quicker and keep it there. The ECU will help tune your engine for the conditions of extreme elevation, air temp, and pressure changes.

S
Feb 9, 2017
The first time I tried the filter cover over the stock filter was the last time I tried the filter cover.. I had snow packed in my airbox so tight you could have made a plaster cast out of it. Then it started pulling moisture through the filters into the engine. The filter and boot shed the snow much easier and get more air. Haven't had an issue since.

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for all of the input... items all ordered up and should start installing next week :) Note- I don't see on the forks or in the manual where you can adjust the air pressure on the forks? ( this is the enduro 501 fe)

Last edited:
R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
All of the mods ( for summer ) are in and wow what a difference.
The PR2 ECU along with a slew of KTMandHusky.com parts ( grunt exhaust, Power intake tube w/ reeds delete, smog delete, and fuel rail.. It's like a completely different big, slip on muffler = big smooth power . Also SeatConcepts seat is so nice!
for winter the ThermoBob, new front springs, engine blanket and new ARO 137 are going on.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
When I talked to PR2 last week he says his ECU maps help engine temps and running, but definitely recommends running something like the thermobob along with the PR2 ECU snowbike map for the best running bike.

R

RaceDeck

Apr 14, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
When I talked to PR2 last week he says his ECU maps help engine temps and running, but definitely recommends running something like the thermobob along with the PR2 ECU snowbike map for the best running bike.

That is the set-up I have now..The PR2 is in and set for summer riding on the map. Come winter when I put on the TS, The thermobob, intake box, and blanket all go on.

Premium Features