• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

500 EXC fork spring rate

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
Hey everyone,

I just took the plunge and bought a camso kit for my 500 exc to try out snowbiking. Had a blast this weekend and everything worked awesome but one this that has become very apparent to me (and my wrists) is that heavier fork springs are not optional, lol.

I've been looking all around the net but can't find any info pertaining to this bike in particular as to which spring rate I should be looking at. I weight about 170, so probably close to 200 geared up + 20 lbs of gas/tools on the tunnel. I believe stock rate is 0.47. I know i wont be getting max benefit but I dont want to revalve as this isnt a dedicated snowbike and it is dialed in well for summer riding.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Cheers

IMG_20170226_104747.jpg

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
buy air

I am running the same bike, I added the option of pumping air into the forks, 20lb is real good, hard spring snow, try about 16.

Easy to install .

A
Oct 4, 2016
Lewiston ID
airpro!

just get the airpro... I have run anywhere from 15-25 psi and it works great... keep your dirt settings and forks as is... I also have the 500 exc and I find the stock forks are too soft even for my dirt needs... they are good for street riding is about it or light trails. I'm on the 250 lb side though...

A
Oct 4, 2016
Lewiston ID
I really love mine... Everyone I ride with has a 450 and I can go anywhere they can and I can also lug it thru the trees without having to clutch as much. I would recommend a different ECU to raise the rev limit for snow use... that is the number one difference I have experienced in 500 use... the stock ecu rev limit is too low.
I like the 500 so much I really don't know if I would go to a 450... It would have to be a big bore 450. I'm also interested in trying one of the 500 big bore kits as well. If you are over 220 lbs you will appreciate the 500 torque.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I just ordered the air pro kit for my 500 EXC this week. Have not installed it yet.

But.. wow best customer service I have ever seen.

Sent me pictures and emails of the box with shipping label on it before tracking, sent another email thanking me for my order. When I opened it up it had a thank you written on it with pen with my name on it.

Premium Features