• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 KX500 137SX Timbersled Build

M
Mar 29, 2008
I'd bolt stock carb on and try it think we have like 55 pilot needle in middle and like 182 main..... ran good our elevation was like 6-7k at high point starting at 4k

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Metering Rod

This evening I changed the Metering Rod from the 5-3Xl to the 5-2XL with 1 turn out on the Power Jet. I ended up going 1/4 leaner after the install. It sounds pretty good I look forward to testing it tomorrow. Ill put a video together tomorrow evening!

I was looking through the forum is there a way to post a video in your post not just a link?

Thanks for all your help and contributions I do believe I am getting closer!

picture.php

picture.php

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Do you have shut off on your carb heat? I had trouble with it getting so warm it was boiling gas in carb and running poorly. After put a valve on so I could shut it down no problems. My runs excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Do you have shut off on your carb heat? I had trouble with it getting so warm it was boiling gas in carb and running poorly. After put a valve on so I could shut it down no problems. My runs excellent.

Ordered A shut off valve from Avid waiting for it now! I just removed the heating system until it arrives to see if that would help fix my issues. I am hoping I got it right tonight the snow is coming down and tomorrow should be fun!

Carb heat will be back on her next week! What gearing did you end up with in your chaincase. Right now I am running 16/18 and that seemed to improve the fun of the bike from the 17/17. I have herd I need to flip the 18 tooth to the top sprocket and the 16 to the bottom for my track speed but I am not really sure what im looking for right now haha!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The pod creates a lot of airflow.. I went through this on my smart carb... When I went to the pod I was able to drop to the stock lean rod .... With a metered carb and good airflow you can lean the rod out... I would try the summer rod and see if it is better... It does not make sense in a traditional carb thinking but it is how it works ... An egt will make you life easy for tuning.... Turns it into a one ride event... Also tune it without carb heat at first if possible... The only time I turned it on was in total submerged powder/ or if I felt an issue...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
One more thing... The metered carbs can be harder on reeds.... I gave had issues even if they look OK ... I made sure to use use the stronger boyseen cage and reeds to keep from changing reeds every 50 hours ... If the stockers or vforce would last that long...

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
My Lectron was acting like yours is before I put my Avid carb heater on my 250sx. Now it working great almost like EFI. I am running same setting as summer only PJ needle is 1/4 turn richer do to being on the gas a lot harder than on dirt. Needle is in the same spot and have ridden from +7 to -20c it works there must be something not right like air leaks or carb heat not working. I am running air box in summer and smaller air pod with foam filter no oil and two outerwear. Always seems to run the same great. Like I said last year I was chasing jetting all the time even with carb blanket till installing Avid carb heater.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Heater Needed

Yesterday was interesting to say the least. We had 6-8in of fresh powder at 10k.I had just removed the avid heater and gone back to the stock cooling system until my Avid Heater bypass shows up this week. What a mistake! I should have just left it on. The Carb froze multiple times and sometimes the cable itself would freeze in the carb pinning it wide open. Not safe by any means haha. Needless to say I look forward to putting a controlled heat to the carb. I do believe it would help avid greatly if they would just include the bypass valve in the carb heat kit.

The power seems a little better but I am still off. It is truly amazing where these kits can go though. I rode some lines I only dream of doing on a sled. Hopefully by next storm I will have this figured out!

What filters are you guys using on your intakes under your screen? I have to make a change asap I feel like way to much water is coming through the intake through melted snow. Currently just have the Timbersled Intake screen kit on a HPS hose.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I just used the prefilter.. I can tell you this when I tried a k and n type filter or foam under that is when my last bike went boom... I think the foam was getting iced then melting and dropping a ton of water into the crankcase... Never had this issue on the cr500 with just the prefilter.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
KIPS for KX500

Question for my Kx500 Riders!
On your KIPS exhaust valve how much pull do you have when the throttle is in vs out. The first picture is pushed all the way in the second is as far out as I can pull it by hand.Im guessing it goes out further with the exhaust pressure but I was wondering if this is normal. Or should it be pulling by hand further? I put the exhaust valves and other components in myself just wondering if I made a mistake!

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
The kips is a piece of junk. mine is pretty much gone. i can't see the pics but i know what your talking about already.

The little pins that hold the main flap open wear down end then it hangs too low in your main exhaust port. you have to take it all apart to fix it.

problem number 2 that doesnt help the above is the base gasket is cut out around the aluminum dowels in the bottom of the cylinder that hold that main flap up, so if your gasket is say .01..your main exhaust valve also hangs down that much lower into the exhaust.

the side ones usually over rotate as well. actuate the lever by hand and watch the side barrels turn. they turn to far and open again. if you take the allen head bolt out at the base of the cylinder...the depth of that bolt controls where those barrels stop. so you can get a new bolt, throw in a small ball bearing, shim etc etc to get them to close at the right spot.

the lectron guys are bang on. if youre running their settings then you have a problem somewhere else. and there is no reason that i can see what you guys are calling a metered carb should be any harder on reeds at all

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Ordered A shut off valve from Avid waiting for it now! I just removed the heating system until it arrives to see if that would help fix my issues. I am hoping I got it right tonight the snow is coming down and tomorrow should be fun!

Carb heat will be back on her next week! What gearing did you end up with in your chaincase. Right now I am running 16/18 and that seemed to improve the fun of the bike from the 17/17. I have herd I need to flip the 18 tooth to the top sprocket and the 16 to the bottom for my track speed but I am not really sure what im looking for right now haha!

I have 18 on top 16 bottom

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The kips is a piece of junk. mine is pretty much gone. i can't see the pics but i know what your talking about already.

The little pins that hold the main flap open wear down end then it hangs too low in your main exhaust port. you have to take it all apart to fix it.

problem number 2 that doesnt help the above is the base gasket is cut out around the aluminum dowels in the bottom of the cylinder that hold that main flap up, so if your gasket is say .01..your main exhaust valve also hangs down that much lower into the exhaust.

the side ones usually over rotate as well. actuate the lever by hand and watch the side barrels turn. they turn to far and open again. if you take the allen head bolt out at the base of the cylinder...the depth of that bolt controls where those barrels stop. so you can get a new bolt, throw in a small ball bearing, shim etc etc to get them to close at the right spot.

the lectron guys are bang on. if youre running their settings then you have a problem somewhere else. and there is no reason that i can see what you guys are calling a metered carb should be any harder on reeds at all
Harder on reeds because it flows way better..... anf normally revs a 1000 to 2000 rpm overrev more .A lot more movement and wear... I have this running on many bikes band I can tell you I replace the reeds every top end. If not almost 9 out of 10 issues will be reeds even if they look fine. I have ran this set up on a yz85..Lectron yz125... Lectron cr500... Smartcarb KTM 300 lectron and smartcarb beta 300.... Smartcarb and this is my experience.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Getting Closer

We are getting closer! I installed the avid carb heat on/off switch which helped show improvement! No carb ice today in 5in of fresh temps staying around the 130 mark (currently not running a thermostat in the avid housing) I am waiting to redo my waterpump and will throw a new impeller in there should help lower even more.
picture.php

picture.php

Still working on the Lectron. I can't seem to get a day without having to stop and **** with it. Its really only the bottom end that's killing me. The top end with the power jet is on point. Been trying to ride as much as I can mid throttle to top. I have richened and leaned the rod and just can't seem to get the bottom end right. I check the plug and looks rich and lean her out and it wont even start. That's a half turn on the metering rod not huge. I fatten it back up and it seems to run but still the low end bog is tough to work through. I will keep working on it! Currently riding in the 9k-11k altitude radiator deep pow. The 18/16 gearing really added some speed to machine. It lost the pop of the 16/18 that was kind of fun. I still haven't made up my mind which I like better.

For all my troubles with the Timbersled early on I have to say it's a strong product for my riding style and this thing really can go anywhere. The weakest part I have seen on most timbersleds is the bike in some way or another! An E-start and a reverse with an 800cc motor and a warranty we would be in the right direction. Don't get me wrong the bike is fun to ride but this sport could be so much more with a purpose built factory machine .

picture.php

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Make sure the reeds are healthy.. normally with the lectron that is a sign they are starting to go.. or lectron needs to give you a different taper rod...If you pull the choke when it is lean does it work better? A half turn is a lot...

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Reeds

When I rebuilt the top end I noticed the carbon reeds in the boyesen looked pretty solid. I thought I would check them out again just to make sure but everything seems to look fine here!
picture.php

Back to the 5-2XL Needle set at 2.083 as suggested. I am going to give it a run tomorrow and see what happens!

With the new release of the timbersled I thought why not skag it up. Added the Golden Standard to the front ski. Time to ride!

picture.php

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
When I rebuilt the top end I noticed the carbon reeds in the boyesen looked pretty solid. I thought I would check them out again just to make sure but everything seems to look fine here!
picture.php

Back to the 5-2XL Needle set at 2.083 as suggested. I am going to give it a run tomorrow and see what happens!

With the new release of the timbersled I thought why not skag it up. Added the Golden Standard to the front ski. Time to ride!

picture.php

I am running a 5-3xl with metering rod set at 2.085" is what I run and it works perfect.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
I am running a 5-3xl with metering rod set at 2.085" is what I run and it works perfect.

I was running the 5-3 before and could never get it just right. I am going to start making smaller adjustments i think my 1/4 turns have been a little aggressive

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
YES!

Pleased to Report that the KX500 is now finally dialed. This thing is just a blast! Some fresh snow up at brooks lake made for some great riding above 10k! I about lost a handlebar bolt from a drop in the telephone wire pass but what a day! Really made the hole ride worth it! The new skag was great on the trail and off! Made it a blast to blow through snow berms!

picture.php

She will be for sale at the World Championship hill climb here in Jackson WY on 24 and 25 at my buddy from All Power Sports booth. Come check it out or just come talk some snow bikes!

I will also have the AKT Wheel setup on display. The guys at AKT have donated a tail light kit to be given away at the race! Stop by for the chance to win!
Check out their products here: http://www.akramertech.ca/designs.html

I Can't wait to see the snow bike market evolve more! Blasting through those trees this weekend was amazing!

Some more products to install before the hillclimb I plan on upgrading the impeller and water pump and get her all shined up!

Premium Features