• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMXBX Photo Thread

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
CMXBK Photo Thread

Starting a CMXBK Photo thread so as people start receiving their kits, they can post up. Feel free to post pics from shops and from shows in the meantime. Would be nice to have a "go to" thread for mainly pictures rather than wading through the other threads. We'll try to keep the chatter to a minimum as there are other threads for that (and hoping this thread doesn’t degrade into a facebook do or don't thread).

Here are some pics from Summit Mototsports in Bozeman,MT. They just moved to their new location and will be carrying the CMXBK.

20151103_171516.jpg 20151103_171502.jpg 20151103_171451.jpg 20151103_171430.jpg 20151103_171423.jpg 20151103_171417.jpg 20151103_171406.jpg 20151103_171348.jpg 20151103_171318.jpg

Last edited:
K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Anyone got any pics of how the kickstarter clears the belt drive cover? It looks like it could be close for those of us without e-start.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Are they making any powder coated finishes? Kit looks good but I'm not a huge fan of the production finish.

Wrap it or have it coated.
carbon%20fibor_zpsrozqnuam.jpg

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I think the biggest thing with not offering a full powdercoated kit is because most kits are black or black with a colored subframe, but cmx wants to stand out and have a different look to showcase their quality and precision machined pieces.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Anyone got any pics of how the kickstarter clears the belt drive cover? It looks like it could be close for those of us without e-start.

The husky at summit doesn't have a kickstart, but i stopped and took a photo and compared it to a ktm 500 xcw next to it. Looks like plenty of clearance but someone else will soon add pics that show a kickstart bike.

Sorry the two images are sideways. I tried to take each from the same angle. The kickstarts on ktms stick out way past the footpegs so looks like plenty of room. Not sure on other bikes.

20151104_170559.jpg 20151104_170634.jpg 20151104_170433.jpg

Last edited:
K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I swapped out the cap screws in that area on my timbersled for button heads to not tear my boot when kickstarting. In the down position I think it almost hits my side plate too. I guess I'll see as more people get their kits and try different bikes. Good looking kit for sure though!

The husky at summit doesn't have a kickstart, but i stopped and took a photo and compared it to a ktm 500 xcw next to it. Looks like plenty of clearance but someone else will soon add pics that show a kickstart bike.

Sorry the two images are sideways. I tried to take each from the same angle. The kickstarts on ktms stick out way past the footpegs so looks like plenty of room. Not sure on other bikes.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Can some weigh the kit? Interesting to compare to the weights of the yeti and TS in the other weight post. My guess would be a few lbs more than the yeti, maybe 10ish.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Fixed my typo to correct the thread title to CMXBK. (thanks screech)

M
Jan 14, 2004
I agree it's a good looking kit. I like a lot of the things they have done of course the belt drive is destined to failure and will leave you stranded in the bush, as if, LOL. Probably 10 pound savings right there over the TS. Much less welding than the TS which has to help in build consistency, jigged or not things move when you weld them if you get going too fast. For me the jury is still out on the twin ski front end, I'd like to try it before I buy it. I really believe with all the new kits coming out this is a good time for the wait and see approach and see how things play out.

I do have one question on the belt drive. Why run the belt outwards with the cogs over a smooth pulley rather than inwards on the back of the belt. It would make a more compact chaincase or use a cogged gear on the tensioner?

M5

Last edited:
S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I am no engineer but I would say to keep things "rolling" in a circle the best you can. Kind of like saying why isn't the ts chain pushing it into the center of the chain case rather than out? I would assume it would have less resistance keeping the chain in a "circle" pattern rather than making it a "serpentine belt" if you will.

Anyone have real knowledge?

M
Jan 14, 2004
M5... Backbending a belt is a "no no" according to gates.... that is why Mark builds his drive that way.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'm buying that argument, the serpentine belt on my Duramax back bends all over the place. The Yeti kit does it backwards?

M5

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The belt need to be back flexed to have as many teeth as possible engaged if you do not have that you get the pro RMK belt striping issue. The aftermarket fix is a longer belt with a tensioner so more teeth are in contact with the belt.:face-icon-small-win I am not sure if there is a Limit on how far you can flex them but all timing belt applications also run a similar tensioner set up and go for 100000 miles +

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
M5... Backbending a belt is a "no no" according to gates.... that is why Mark builds his drive that way.

This is somewhat true. The majority of cog belts can only be bent in a way that compresses the tooth side and stretches the outer side. Serpentine belts are very different.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I do have one question on the belt drive. Why run the belt outwards with the cogs over a smooth pulley rather than inwards on the back of the belt. It would make a more compact chaincase or use a cogged gear on the tensioner?

M5

I would guess that they are that confident with it's strength in it mounting rigidity and tight tolerances to be able to use the belt as efficiently as possible .

It's also kind of hard to compare these guys to Polaris's belt drive since they have been taking their skids and making top of the line sleds out of them . Note also that Polaris does not have as many failures since they have introduced the belt drive because they no longer use the same compound belt but are still struggling with the mass assembly line slop where as these guys could have the credit for the introduction of the secondary belt drive to the sleds ?

Premium Features