• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wheres APT Smartcarb ?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can say this when my engine was being built I was clear with the builder I was running a metered carb... He had worked with them extensively .... If that had a bearing on what's he did I do not know because of his medical problems I am not bothering him...

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting. So MtnDoo when you had your deto on your 500 did you send your head to get it relieved ? Or did u just treat it with fuel builder ? Was that one of your consistent motors ? Is there deto on that bike now with the Lectron ? Maybe the owner will chime in and let us know.

Thanks Corey for your post but how exactly does running a resquished 2 stroke running a Smartcarb benefit over a PWK ? Are you claiming more hp than a Pulse or PWK setup ? Better fuel mileage ? Seems like running the same fuel, oil and proper squish is what your saying for consistent results with a Smartcarb. Too me that doesnt seem to make the Smarty so smart ?

C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
Interesting.

Thanks Corey for your post but how exactly does running a resquished 2 stroke running a Smartcarb benefit over a PWK ? Are you claiming more hp than a Pulse or PWK setup ? Better fuel mileage ? Seems like running the same fuel, oil and proper squish is what your saying for consistent results with a Smartcarb. Too me that doesnt seem to make the Smarty so smart ?

Re-squished only if a problem is identified, which in most cases it is not. However it is the current discussion here and as you clearly state this has not been your experience. Facts are facts though and without reservation we claim fully altitude air density correcting, no less than an 8-10% gain in Horsepower and Torque over any conventional carburetor, and in a lot of cases gains over modern small engine EFI systems as well. I don't know about pulse/pwk or fcr, perhaps Roosty would entertain a comparison. If tuned properly you can expect 30% or more gains in fuel economy on your two stroke. 4t's will net even more, and 50% is not unheard of. There simply is no other product out there that will do this that you can put on with a couple of hose clamps. Period. So you can quit questioning its validity and its value. These claims can and have been proven many times.

As far as Lectron's and SmartCarb's go this is an area where they are completely different. A powerjet lectron uses a second metering circuit and adds liquid raw fuel straight from the float bowl and squirts it down the throat. When the type of detonation conditions we're talking about present themselves, a Lectron will simply mask the issue and really acts no differently than a conventional Keihin or Mikuni providing wet mixtures. In fact it's a little wetter mixture yet because a Keihin/Mikuni is using the main jet/nozzle system. To cool down a big two stroke though it works well. The SC on the other hand is only using the main single circuit utilizing the same atomization potential.

What should be understood is that the float bowl pressurization circuit is the power-jet on a SmartCarb, and somewhere near the very top end-wide open the static pressures that have been steadily building in the float bowl now become dynamic pressures with actual fluid flow. Meaning the ram pressure against the scoop (approaching 230mph at high rpm) literally hammers fuel up the nozzle, but it is still finely measured and atomized by the metering rod; and the reason a SmartCarb, size for size, will make more HP and provide better fuel economy than a Lectron.

This is why we have stressed an SC equipped bike will suffer in auto altitude correction and top end performance if the vent scoop can't read MAP.

J800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
Redmond Washington
Corey,

What is the best way to get tuning advise and parts for my smart carbs at this point?

I have left messages on APT voice mail with no response.

H

hollycow

Feb 12, 2014
Park City, Utah
That is not what’s being said. According to wwillf01 and Rolling 20’s both are on this very thread claiming they have good working SmartCarb’s with different CR500 configurations, as do others on other forums. Currently the main discussion on this completely derailed thread is in regard to CR500s and the mixed bag of results people are having. So what’s really going on here?

Antagonism clearly. But the real issue is what is being done or can be done to take advantage of high atomization fuel systems on CR500’s. CR500 people know that Honda systematically detuned the liquid cooled CR500 during it’s nearly 20 year run from the glory days of 1988 and the anemic end result is what led to a fairly thriving aftermarket of modifications and improvements. I don’t have all the facts or all the known nuances about that but I can say that they were the first anomaly we ran across as we started getting a sizeable amount of carburetors in the field. What I mean is the first set of bikes that needed progressively richer metering rods than the standard metering rod covering the majority of products we were putting carbs on, including snowmobiles, Karts and primarily the Enduro market we had targeted. They were all over the map, some responded well to the standard Q11/.080” metering rod, others would try to spit the piston out on the floor regardless of what metering rod/click you tried.

I believe one if not the most widely misunderstood part of a well-built/tuned two stroke is the head, or perhaps the head of the tuner, I don’t know.

A two stroke combustion chamber appears pretty straight forward but plays a major role in how the engine turns heat into good clean roost. There are actually quite a few components that interrelate to how well the head can do its job but nobody is wanting to read a thesis so I’ll keep it simple.

The three main things to look at are squish, quench and surface area to volume ratio. Inside the combustion chamber, the squish band and quench area comprise the same features, are closely related, but do two totally different things.

1. The squish band acts to create turbulence, or a mixing of the air/fuel charge as the piston is compressing it (hence the term squish). This makes a more homogenous mixture that requires less ignition advance. Faster combustion means we can run later ignition timing, which results in higher combustion pressures and thus more power. Think of it as fanning the flame.

2. This same area is also designed to trap significant amounts of raw fuel to cool (quench) the air/fuel charge and thereby prevent detonation and or pre-ignition. (As a side note this is the really important function of the squish/quench band area as it relates to unburned hydrocarbon emissions and is one reason KTM and others are starting to show up with new larger “open chamber” minimal squish band combustion chambers.) Anyway the idea is to deliberately concentrate and trap excess fuel between the piston crown and cylinder head and hold it there during the combustion process, to effectively cool the outer edge of the piston crown and combustion chamber with raw fuel. The evaporative cooling effects provided by the liquid fuel, quickly stabilize the atomized end gases that surround the combustion chamber to prevent detonation and/or pre-ignition. (A typical squish/quench band in a modern two-cycle engine comprises 50% of the bore diameter and is on the average of .055” thick.)

3. Surface to volume ratio is the relationship between the total CC’s of the combustion chamber volume, relative to the compression sweep of the cylinder. The importance of keeping this area to a minimum is to limit the size of the area so as to not allow too much time for the combusted mixture to reach the ends of the chamber. This is especially critical in a large bore, over square engine, such as a CR500. 84.5mm X 89mm I believe. Contrastingly, Kawasaki’s KX 500 is 86mm X 86mm.

Again, I personally do not know enough about CR500’s to know how much they changed the head over the years or all the varieties of stroker kits, port jobs or aftermarket or modified combustion chambers but it’s clear this is still one of the most prolific and emulated engines around and that some of the better ones are over 25 years old.

To Mtn-Doo’s point there have been strides made in combustion chamber design over the last 25 years and a majority of manufacturers have made changes just to deal with fuel quality and differing blends that continue to evolve, others, like KTM are clearly beginning work with DFI as evidenced by their latest combustion chamber designs that allow for the faster burn rate that a highly vaporized mix creates.

So what have they done? They’ve minimized the squish/quench area to both slow down the flame front (less fanning and turbulence) and opened up the surface area to take advantage of the faster burn provided by the finely atomized fuel, with less worry of detonation as the fire is already out by the time the flame front reaches the edges of the combustion chamber. Plus a fine fuel vapor pulls more heat out the engine than a wet mixture further atomizing the fuel in the process.

If you have the fortitude to get the most out of a SmartCarb on your CR500 then the short answer for most is this:

Pick a fuel and stick with it.
Pick an oil and stick with it.
Make sure the intake is free of obstruction that can cheat the venting/float bowl pressurization circuit.
Tune your carb.

If modified:
Loosen up the squish a little from what you would normally consider running (this will vary of course) and/or be prepared to run race fuel or additives. If you have a way to calculate your squish velocity and modify your heads then shoot for 25m/s max when running highly atomized fuel/oil mixtures.

Interesting, so giving the large squish area of 91-01 CR500 head it seems that a head with a cut down squish band would be a better option for anyone attempting to run a smart carb? What would be a good target as far as squish height? I know most people shoot for about .055' on pump gas, adjusting the chamber volume accordingly. I'm sure you need to consider altitude also. The 89-90 head might be a better option, though Rootius claims no dice even when he cuts down the squish.
I'm in the middle of a CR500 build and have talked to both Cory and Rootius recently and really don't know what to think. I have heard too much positive feedback from Smartcarb users for it to be a fluke, it really does seem hit and miss. Talked to Jerry Hall in Phoenix and he does not have anything good to say about single circuit carbs, but then again I have never talked to an engine builder or suspension guy who hasn't said everybody else doesn't know what they are doing, lol. I traded in my long over due 38 cast order, that was originally planned for my 300xc, for a billet 40 that I'm going to try on the 500. The billet upgrade option Cory is giving to long over due 38 cast orders was hard to pass up given the cost savings. Hope it works out, or I'll try the 40 on the 300 with one of the new heads...

Last edited:
H

hollycow

Feb 12, 2014
Park City, Utah
Chambers

Here are some chambers I pulled off the old interweb just for comparison sake. Some are courtesy of Rootius posts on cr500riders.com.

web.jpg

KTM chambers old and new

web.jpg

Early vs late CR500 chambers

web.png

Roostius head

web.jpg

Richard's engine development. This one is interesting because its got the narrowest squish band and added o-rings

web.jpg
RPM Liger

Last edited:
C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
C
Here are some chambers I pulled off the old interweb just for comparison sake. Some are courtesy of Rootius posts on cr500riders.com.

web.jpg

KTM chambers old and new.

Thank you for the pictures, the shot of the KTM head progression gives good clarity to the discussion.

Some of these head designs I hope are benefiting from a different piston crown profile than others. Not that anybody asked and again fuel selection is always key, but of all these heads, at least based on appearances, I would choose the Richard's engine development head over the others. It seems to have the proper surface area and perhaps more importantly nice smooth radii from the squish band into the combustion pocket. Unfortunately any transitions with sharp edges in the combustion chamber are very unforgiving, no matter how well intended, and create heat risers that glow red hot while the engine is running and without question will contribute to detonation issues.

C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
Interesting, so giving the large squish area of 91-01 CR500 head it seems that a head with a cut down squish band would be a better option for anyone attempting to run a smart carb?

Not necessarily. Remember we are working with two separate yet interrelated processes here. Squish (angle of the area), which is designed to apply a controlled turbulent state to the air/fuel charge with the idea of mixing it really good and creating a faster burning mixture. Quench (size of the area), to trap, what is basically liquid fuel to stabilize the end gases that surround the combustion pocket. Keeping these trapped gases from superheating by the advancing flame front and pre-igniting.

This also may as well be as good a time as any to note that pre-ignition and detonation are also two separate things but display the same characteristics of knock and piston damage. Both can be caused by localized hot spots, improper fuel selection or not enough area to provide proper cooling by the quench action. Detonation or unstable combustion however are more closely related to too much turbulence (meaning squish velocity or what we call MSV) .

The short answer may very well be a head that has a relatively wide squish/quench area, say 50% of the bore diameter, but a steeper squish angle to slow down the MSV. In fact that is where I would start, I would shoot for a large quench pad and an increase to the step angle to bring the MSV to around 25 m/s. This may also require a clearance change to around .065"+, which may diminish static compression slightly, but a good pipe like a genuine Scalvini (Not that House of Horsepower knock off) or some of the other quality exhausts that will more than bring the running pressures back up where they belong.

What would be a good target as far as squish height? I know most people shoot for about .055".

If working with a SmartCarb I would open it up to .057"-.058" as a place to start and use the earlier head with the traditional wide quench pad to provide a little more stability for the finer atomized fuel.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks for the schooling. With modern super atomized fuel charges we have to really give the engine and especially the head mod's some thought. I found consistent success by trial and error. Now it makes sense. Thanks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have an EGT installed this year for some better testing with a tunnel cooler... So far on the stand I have some great results.... Almost enough snow to take a spin.... I will record the readings and post.

H

hollycow

Feb 12, 2014
Park City, Utah
use the earlier head with the traditional wide quench pad to provide a little more stability for the finer atomized fuel.

That seems counter intuitive when you look at the progression of the KTM head. I'm not saying its wrong, it just doesn't follow what KTM did as far as the quench area. Though it does kind of follow what Roostius did with his head mod, maybe he can chime in. Working within the constraints of the stock casting there is probably only so much you can do without weakening the chamber, so that may be the way to go.

web.jpg

Looks like the quench face is liad back some

web.jpg

This head, I think its a KX500, looks like the ticket, nicely blended.
Sorry pic are huge.

Last edited:
R
Mar 15, 2010
Both carb versions I ran were 38mm, The 40 wasn't available.

The smaller carbs (not taling apt here) have been crisper and stronger mid range power on the CR5, the bore at 89mm and stroke at 79mm combination creates a shorter duration but higher velocity signal than a kx5 which is square at 86mm stroke and bore. The Kx's longer lower velocity draw does work better with the bigger carburetor.

Heads, I ran the billet carb on a stock 1991 engine, bone stock. The cast i tried on both a stock engine and a ported one with a modified chamber. ML3-R head castings on the engines.

Having the carbs with a known compatibility issue yet continuing to sell them for that application without knowing a solution or alteration is irresponsible.

I'm at 1000'

C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
That seems counter intuitive when you look at the progression of the KTM head. I'm not saying its wrong, it just doesn't follow what KTM did as far as the quench area. Though it does kind of follow what Roostius did with his head mod, maybe he can chime in. Working within the constraints of the stock casting there is probably only so much you can do without weakening the chamber, so that may be the way to go.

Ok let me take off my IMAX glasses and we’ll go deeper.

Let’s be perfectly clear, we are talking about CR 500’s and the first rule of thumb, when it comes to quench type combustion control, is that the larger the bore diameter the more critical all this becomes. With that said we are also dealing with an over square engine, as delivered by the factory. Meaning the bore diameter is larger than the length of the stroke. 89mm (3.503”) X 84.5mm (3.326”) bore and stroke. A 300 KTM on the other hand in stock configuration is 72mm X 72mm (2.834”).

Adam knows, as do most quality engine builders, that once you get over a 3” bore diameter a lot of things change dramatically and likely the reason he has spent a great deal of time working with these big bores. We also know that combustion technology, fuels, fuel delivery systems and a host of other items have changed since 2001 when the last CR500s were built. In the most conventional sense it’s long been widely embraced that increases in compression ratio, which can be accomplished simply by milling a few thousandths from the cylinderhead can work minor miracles with a 2 stroke engine. The down side of course is if the compression ratio is high enough, heat input into the piston may raise the piston crown temp to the point where detonation and pre-ignition occur. And where this gets really crazy with a 2 stroke is that our static (cranking) compression numbers are vastly different than actual running compression numbers with an effective pipe because of supercharging. And here is where most run into trouble.

Engineers work within a theoretical level of efficiency in terms of converting heat into work, referred to as “air standard efficiency”. In this theoretical level it is assumed that the cylinder is only filled with dry air, and then heat added, which completely ignores the fact that in practice this air contains some moisture and a considerable percentage of hydrocarbon fuel. What is important in working with air standard efficiency (ASE) is that it does provide a way to gauge the way actual efficiency can be measured and tells us a lot about the effects of power output relative to compression ratio. For example, at a compression ratio of 5:1, ASE is 47.5%, while if we bump that double at 10:1, ASE is now 60.2%. Which, of course is a large gain and the results measured at the output end of the crankshaft are the reason many tuners are fixated on raising the compression.

One way to work around this is to raise the compression by removing several thou from the bottom of the head and then open up the combustion pocket to balance it out. And this is normally what most do and all well and good until you start getting into 3.5+” cylinder bores and then we have to start taking into consideration flame speed (Which is what we were talking about when this conversation started, in regards to highly atomized fuel burning faster than heavy wet fuel droplets). This is furthermore where fuel selection and octane rating become very important, and in the case of our discussion here, adequate quench combustion control for large bore engines that display certain anomalous characteristics.

Flame speed as defined by Wikipedia is “the measured rate of expansion of the flame front in a combustion reaction". Of note also is that fuel and explosives are the same measured relationship, however combustion engines in general and 2 strokes in particular must differentiate between laminar flame speed (explosives) and turbulent flame speed (squish) combustion. And as one last thing the flame speed is also dependent upon stoichiometry or ideal air/fuel ratios.

By now you are either completely confused or you can see where I am going with this. A large bore engine that has a long path of flame travel the design of the combustion chamber becomes more and more critical to avoid detonation issues, while achieving good usable power.
Bore diameter isn’t the only difference between the new KTM heads and older CR 500 and modified heads. Understand KTM is getting ready to release a DFI engine, someday anyway, and to inject a plume of fuel in through the top of the cylinder head requires feature changes to provide a more even distribution, and if you look closely at Ski-Doo's E-TEC cylinderheads you will see that they use a very large curving combustion chamber cylinder with no sudden step changes. Same thing KTM appears to be leading up to.

In short, there is a threshold of bore size that leads to an increase in quench area to accommodate the longish burn time that occurs in larger engines. What exactly that is for a modified CR 500 I do not know, and it appears that for stock Honda was a little unsure as well. Also remember these are loop scavenged engines and during the exhaust phase, the shape of the cylinder head is also required to provide a gently curving surface to help whisk the exhaust residuals out of the combustion chamber while the fresh charge is coming up the back wall of the cylinder and pushing it out. This is partly the reason we used to polish the combustion chambers to a mirror shine to eliminate boundary layer stiction and provide a smooth surface for the gases to travel along.

Last edited:
C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
Having the carbs with a known compatibility issue yet continuing to sell them for that application without knowing a solution or alteration is irresponsible.

I'm at 1000'

Well we are a little slow and didn't realize what the problem was as not all CR500 SmartCarb owners were or are having a problem. Hell I'm still not sure if what we are talking about here is even the problem with some of these bikes. Frankly, we now know most of the problem is with the airboot.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I went and looked to see how many carbs we have actually sold for CR500 applications. We have sold 59 carbs total. 14 cast and 45 billets. Your Cast 38 that I offered to buy back is now happily running on a 300 KTM I understand.

Also might be a good idea to use Irfanview or some other free utility so you can bring these pictures down to 600 X 800 and we don't have to scroll the page over to read the text.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Well we are a little slow and didn't realize what the problem was as not all CR500 SmartCarb owners were or are having a problem. Hell I'm still not sure if what we are talking about here is even the problem with some of these bikes. Frankly, we now know most of the problem is with the airboot.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I went and looked to see how many carbs we have actually sold for CR500 applications. We have sold 59 carbs total. 14 cast and 45 billets. Your Cast 38 that I offered to buy back is now happily running on a 300 KTM I understand.

Also might be a good idea to use Irfanview or some other free utility so you can use to bring these pictures down to 600 X 800 and we don't have to scroll the page over to read the text.

When I look t the gss porting pics of their head it looks pretty sharp... That's what I have and it works don't know...

3f483967846c87d083b68cc7c3c8ceca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

coreyd396

Jan 5, 2011
technologyelevatedco.com
When I look t the gss porting pics of their head it looks pretty sharp... That's what I have and it works don't know...

Not trying to be stupid here but by sharp, do you mean as in attractive or do you mean an unbroken edge? Under the plastic, I can see a decent radius on the step from the squish into the combustion pocket, also the squish band looks to be nearly half of the bore diameter. Not sure but it also looks to be a bathtub design with a flat top and overall a good looking head. Compare that with the pictures above of cylinder heads with squared off unbroken edges leading into the chamber. These sharp edges do nothing to promote uniform squish action, create snap-off because the gases will shear and tumble off the sharp edges, plus those very narrow lines will heat up much faster than the surrounding metal.

These transitional areas require a proper radius and without it will glow and radiate localized heat right at the top of the piston....

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Not trying to be stupid here but by sharp, do you mean as in attractive or do you mean an unbroken edge? Under the plastic, I can see a decent radius on the step from the squish into the combustion pocket, also the squish band looks to be nearly half of the bore diameter. Not sure but it also looks to be a bathtub design with a flat top and overall a good looking head. Compare that with the pictures above of cylinder heads with squared off unbroken edges leading into the chamber. These sharp edges do nothing to promote uniform squish action, create snap-off because the gases will shear and tumble off the sharp edges, plus those very narrow lines will heat up much faster than the surrounding metal.

These transitional areas require a proper radius and without it will glow and radiate localized heat right at the top of the piston....

And that's why your the expert all I know is the smarty and this head talk well together

Premium Features