• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha and weight

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I agree GEO

As ICR has mentioned and i believe the intent of this thread is to get past the "panties in a bunch mentality" as so often these threads turn into and discuss what it would take. Everyone seems to point out the obvious issue but the only solution currently that is put forward is to go out and buy a different sled. Its never " here is my idea of how Yamaha could make improvements and win me back as a customer. I believe reason for this is because its a difficult problem to solve and has way more facets to it then people realize I think that you are right it will have to be a complete change in thought process to bring something unique to the table that makes a giant leap over the current competition. which is at this stage is a pretty high bar set by the front runner which is obviously debatable

How do you do that when the cost of producing things is on the rise, the market itself is shrinking which is due in part to that cost along with environmental things we don't need to talk about in context of this thread. As things get lighter the cost curve to weight loss started to ramp up. unique metals raise cost (titanium)? unique materials raise cost (Carbon fiber)? Then you contend with lightening up the current material as much as possible but then those parts start to fail and durability starts to decline. You think as POO did with changing the MFR process "structural glues" as a means of manufacturing but they discovered the downside with the process of implementing that into mass production.

You joked about an auto transmission, but maybe there is something to the transmission of power that could be looked at to cut weight as in the development of the belt drive system of maybe a completely different idea. that is why racing is so dam important to a companies R&D. The only issue there is how to take something that is a one off trick part that takes a lot of time, energy and money to produce a single part then turn around and produce it on a mass scale but keep cost where you and i can afford it.

I
Nov 26, 2007
To add to what bholmlate and geo said about transmission of power. Snow machine drive lines are about 50% efficient with most of the power lost in the CVT. If Yamaha could develop a more efficient driveline they could reduce the engine size and there fore weight and still be competitive. A 130hp motor with 50% loss has roughly the same performance as a 75hp motor with a 10% loss.

As already mentioned the weight of yamahas is the engine and then the reinforced chassis to support that motor. A lighter motor would allow a lighter chassis.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ Agreed....I think to make a big step, they need to develop a new engine and chassis all at once.

In general (not just a Yamaha thing), I feel that eventually someone will come up with a driveline solution out there that would get rid of the whole CVT + chaincase setup. And that will be the next big bang for sleds. Something like a V-twin, with a small automatic or chain CVT beside it.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
It's funny you mention the CVT & Driveline years ago on this very forum dreams were flying around about an automatic 3 speed direct drive tranny to the drivers.....And Yamaha sure has the no how to pull that off....How much Yen & Saki that would cost I have no idea.

DPG

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
I'm happy that my next FJR will have cruise control and heated grips stock, Yamaha moves very slowly, same with all their product lines except boat motors:face-icon-small-win

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
MO. I have to believe in a capitalist environment, more than just dollars and cents comes into play in the CEO's office. It would make that job too easy lol. The best need to balance risk and cost and answer for it.
You know, you win some and you lose some but in the end a dividend check comes in the mail.

You have to take risks to be a #1. If that was not true we would all be driving Skoda pick-ups or sedans instead of Mustangs and F350's lol.

The top needs to have a passion for the product or a strong desire to be #1. Put those 2 together and you build a stunner every once in a while.
Leave the risks to the engineers but the push needs to come from the top.

In the 80's Yamaha took the attitude of "if we build it they will come". Since the early 90's it has been,,, boring. A once very large passionately loyal following of consumers has reduced to "ya but it's reliable".
Honestly, I don`t think it is very difficult or risky to take a multi cylinder 4 stroke and make it reliable. Hope the top at Yamaha has turned around and the Viper is more a stepping stone than just the cheapest way to stay in sleddin` for some dealers.

If anyone knows those upper Yamaha guys, maybe you can take the to Mt Fuji and show them a good time lol.

You probably could of taken the last Cat CEO to Mc Donalds and got a smile out of him.

The top Doo guys have to shovel the snow at home so they may be too busy.

The top Poo guys are probably out riding anyway.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
MO. I have to believe in a capitalist environment, more than just dollars and cents comes into play in the CEO's office. It would make that job too easy lol. The best need to balance risk and cost and answer for it.
You know, you win some and you lose some but in the end a dividend check comes in the mail.

You have to take risks to be a #1. If that was not true we would all be driving Skoda pick-ups or sedans instead of Mustangs and F350's lol.

The top needs to have a passion for the product or a strong desire to be #1. Put those 2 together and you build a stunner every once in a while.
Leave the risks to the engineers but the push needs to come from the top.

In the 80's Yamaha took the attitude of "if we build it they will come". Since the early 90's it has been,,, boring. A once very large passionately loyal following of consumers has reduced to "ya but it's reliable".
Honestly, I don`t think it is very difficult or risky to take a multi cylinder 4 stroke and make it reliable. Hope the top at Yamaha has turned around and the Viper is more a stepping stone than just the cheapest way to stay in sleddin` for some dealers.

If anyone knows those upper Yamaha guys, maybe you can take the to Mt Fuji and show them a good time lol.

You probably could of taken the last Cat CEO to Mc Donalds and got a smile out of him.

The top Doo guys have to shovel the snow at home so they may be too busy.

The top Poo guys are probably out riding anyway.

At the point quite a few years back when it became obvious Yamaha was not going to make money on the sleds it was decided to build a rock solid sled to get you to buy Yamaha motorcycles, quads, etc.

The only reason they still are in the sled market has to do with the Japanese philosophy and not just profit.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Geo, if Yamaha Dealers can't make a buck no amount of saki will help...Give the dealerships yamaha products they can sell and the brand Yamaha will take care of itself.

DPG

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight and placement of it.

The guys putting nytro motors in Polaris rmk chassis are after reliable 4 stroke power in a light weight sled.
There's no doubt Yamaha would sell lots of these sleds if they built it and got the handling and rider position of today's sleds along with a slight added 4 stroke engine weight. I'd buy one.
Cat was on the right track with the 1100. They just didnt build it the right way.
That sled is way to nose heavy. I have one. I put an EVO super chute 300 kit on it. It makes good power but is way to nose heavy for my liken.
If the motor was lighter and mounted in the sled better it would be a better sled.
In my mind cat mounted the exhaust, turbo and intake/throttle bodies in the wrong spots. Then they didn't mount the motor in the chassis properly. Mine was a belt eater. I added the EVO/turbie TCL delete kit to my sled. Problems solved. But it is still way to nose heavy.
Anyways. That's just my 2 cents

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Geo, if Yamaha Dealers can't make a buck no amount of saki will help...Give the dealerships yamaha products they can sell and the brand Yamaha will take care of itself.

DPG

Once they do that they would need to clean out a few dealers. Our Yamaha dealer here is so bad that his reputation is known as far north as Oregon. Is the reason i got my sled in Oregon in the first place. Just wish i knew of OTS before i bought it up there at a different place that doesn't exist anymore. Now i get all my parts up there

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I think the biggest reason Yamaha isn't trying to take over the mountain sled market is cause it is such a small part of there business. I you look at all the stuff yamaha is involved in, mountain sleds are a pretty small market.

I for one will not be happy with any sled in stock form. I like building them, adding parts & repairing them. So for me it is not that big of a deal what anybody produces because I am going to change it as soon as I get it. That would be the reason I have never bought a brand new sled.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I give credit to yammy for staying with their fourstroker, it just a tought sell in the mountain market where less weight is becomming one of the biggest sells...

Their motor has the durability and hp is not a issue, some guys ride they like no tommorow... And then some of us get beet to death by them

Was hoping to see the viper in the mid 500s, maybe with time it will get there...

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
But why? If the nytro motor weighs 30lbs more than an 800 two stroke why can't we have a Yamaha that weighs 30lbs more than a pro for the same price?

Great idea! They could glue the steering support shafts and the drive shaft that would be great! Oh wait.....Poo did that....

No need to douche up the Yamaha forum trolling, Poo made your sled already.

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
Great idea! They could glue the steering support shafts and the drive shaft that would be great! Oh wait.....Poo did that....

No need to douche up the Yamaha forum trolling, Poo made your sled already.

Kinda looks like you're the one douching it up. Not every comment made is an attempt to bash yamaha.
Relax a little.

I see his point. I'm not sure if I would go to the extremes of using glue on everything but I bet they could get the sled well within 30-45lbs of the pro. I truly believe yamaha is capable of doing that without sacrificing reliability.

Premium Features