• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are 4-Strokes Really Closing the Gap?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
american-snowmobiler-header.jpg

http://www.amsnow.com/

blog-header.jpg

Are 4-Strokes Really Closing the Gap?

Ross Halvorson
Fri, May 23 2014 2:51 PM

http://cs.amsnow.com/sno/b/sno/archive/2014/05/23/are-4-strokes-really-closing-the-gap.aspx

Many of the snowmobile industry’s biggest accomplishments in the consumer market can be traced back to the race tracks. We once again look to the track to see if there’s evidence of what all the media outlets (including AmSnow) have been saying recently. Are 4-stroke sleds really closing in on 2-stroke machines? Many of the consumers’ favorite snowmobile innovations have migrated from the track to the showroom.

Much of our modern chassis, engines, suspensions and more started as some harebrained idea that was designed, tested and perfected on race day. Why would the 4-stroke engine be any different?

While the 4-stroke engine has been around for years, and three of the four big OEMs currently produce a 4-stroke sled, there’s always been an “us-versus-them” mentality. Traditionally, 4-strokes bring a more efficient, low-maintenance advantage to the table. 2-strokes have always claimed an edge in high-end performance and lightweight maneuverability.
All that might be changing, at least according to data from the race track. Take a look at the manufacturer with the most skin in the 4-stroke game, Yamaha. Their snowmobile line is entirely dependent on 4-stroke engines and their success.

Yamaha was represented in the Pro ranks of the three largest circuits in the U.S. – ISOC Snocross (first four rounds), USCX (entire season) and RMSHA (entire season). The first two weekends of ISOC Snocross were looked at as a dress rehearsal of sorts for Yamaha’s factory team for the upcoming USXC season. No Yamaha sleds made the finals of any Pro-Open event those first two weekends.

That was OK with Team Blue. They had a first-year sled in the 2014 SR Viper to dial in preparation for the USXC season. Crosscountry racing brought slightly more success as Yamaha racers were very competitive finishing in the top five of multiple events. However, they failed to crack the top five in the final season points standings.

It was in the mountains (probably the most unlikely of the three circuits) that Yamaha saw the largest step forward on the RMSHA circuit. Team Yamaha’s Gavin Balls, Chad Jorgensen and Nathan Titus were consistently among the top competitors in their respective classes, each stepping foot on the podium.

Balls put the exclamation point on the season piloting the new SR Viper M-TX by finishing first in the 700 Improved class at the Jackson Hole Hillclimb – considered by many to be one of the most challenging courses for RMSHA riders. It was a stunning end of the season to some, and perhaps the springboard Yamaha needs to catapult their assault on the 2-stroke market share in the coming year.

While the debate between 2- and 4-stroke engines is bound to rage on for some time in the snowmobile industry, you cannot deny the growing success 4-stroke machines have seen in the race circuits traditionally dominated by 2-stroke sleds. And if history is any indication, trends in racing often become trends in Average Joe’s garage.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I think they are closing the gap. No they are not as light as the 2 strokes ( getting close though) and no they are not as nimble as the Pros in the technical areas but they are doing better then they have done in the past. I think a lot of people will never give Yamaha any credit just because they 4 strokes, Takes you back to the Johny skeptical videos that Yamaha used to put out. Now here I am with a new Viper on the way to replace my 09 Summit. Fred

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Is getting closer really enough to change the game or does there have to be a leap to the front?

A 100 lbs. is still a 100 lbs (or whatever). Does weight make a difference to the average buyer? While the 4 stroke platform has lost weight and improved handling so have the 2 stroke platforms. Is it all in the engine or is part of it the additional strength needed to take that weight along for the ride?
Next step would be exotic materials and smaller displacement strung out to a higher tune. This may be expensive in initial and production costs. It also may require too much expense in maintenance (rebuilds) for the average Joe.
How much will a equal 4 strk cost to make and maintain?

CVT transmission equalizes powerband-traction advantage of a 4 stroke. 300 rpm powerband of a high strung 2stroke can be handled and maintained with properly tuned clutches.

Hill climbing wins have a lot to do with power to weight and class selection but it also shows the chassis-rider ability.

If Yamaha didn't make sleds anymore would Christopher have started this thread lol? Is there any other 4strk sleds in the mountains at this time?

This is the opinion of a 2 smoke guy so don't get your panties in a wad over a summer discussion.
I was hoping (after the 4 strk Phazer introduction) that Yamaha would continue in that direction with a couple of WR450's glued together, nice low boost turbo, modern chassis, to take the lead in the 800, 900 class.
It would be expensive and high maintenance but with, 150-160 ponies at all elevations, much closer in weight, narrow body and weight distribution and Yamaha quality, I could be on my first 4 strk.

IMO Yamaha has to stop trying to just catch -up. I know they can take the lead with a 4 strk if they want to.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I read this article over at American Snowmobiler and decided to post it here for our members to chew on. I think the article was really just a conversation starter, in the end the magazine chose not to draw any hard conclusions.

Its clear to me that Yamaha IS back in the game for the first time in a LOOOONG time.

Are the 4 stokes the equivalent of the 2 stokes in the mountain category?
No.
Not "YET".
I don't think anyone could seriously make that claim with today's sleds.

But they are finally on a course that could lead them to it a few years down the road if they really decide to go for it and apply all of their corporate institutional technology to the problem.

The huge question that looms out there for so many of us is, HOW COMMITTED IS YAMAHA?

From the conversations that I have with some of their key players, the answer "I" am hearing, is pretty dang committed.

The "Viper" is Yamaha's first opening shot to the snowmobiling community that they are getting back into the game in a serious way.

From what I hear, they have several more bullets that haven't been fired yet...:face-icon-small-hap

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Is getting closer really enough to change the game or does there have to be a leap to the front?

A 100 lbs. is still a 100 lbs (or whatever). Does weight make a difference to the average buyer? While the 4 stroke platform has lost weight and improved handling so have the 2 stroke platforms. Is it all in the engine or is part of it the additional strength needed to take that weight along for the ride?
Next step would be exotic materials and smaller displacement strung out to a higher tune. This may be expensive in initial and production costs. It also may require too much expense in maintenance (rebuilds) for the average Joe.
How much will a equal 4 strk cost to make and maintain?

CVT transmission equalizes powerband-traction advantage of a 4 stroke. 300 rpm powerband of a high strung 2stroke can be handled and maintained with properly tuned clutches.

Hill climbing wins have a lot to do with power to weight and class selection but it also shows the chassis-rider ability.

If Yamaha didn't make sleds anymore would Christopher have started this thread lol? Is there any other 4strk sleds in the mountains at this time?

This is the opinion of a 2 smoke guy so don't get your panties in a wad over a summer discussion.
I was hoping (after the 4 strk Phazer introduction) that Yamaha would continue in that direction with a couple of WR450's glued together, nice low boost turbo, modern chassis, to take the lead in the 800, 900 class.
It would be expensive and high maintenance but with, 150-160 ponies at all elevations, much closer in weight, narrow body and weight distribution and Yamaha quality, I could be on my first 4 strk.

IMO Yamaha has to stop trying to just catch -up. I know they can take the lead with a 4 strk if they want to.

I dont think there plan was to change the game with the Viper. I agree with everything you stated, I just think Yamaha is being cautious. If they can gets sales in the mountain segment to improve, they will invest more. If all goes well I think they can and will put a product out that will compete with the others. My reasoning for the Viper is I am handing down my Summit to my youngest son and needed a new sled. As good as the pro is I never felt comfortable on it. My oldest has one so have some seat time on it and had time to learn its style. XM I am comfortable on but wanted to try something different. Rode the Viper and liked it, so I thought I would give it a try. 14K dollar gamble but what the heck. Fred

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
NO, Weight will never be close....A non turbo 4stroke Yammi vs non turbo 2stroke Poo, Cat or XM not even close.

Wishful Thinking
DPG

Pretty much everyone around here agrees, there is no point to a normally aspirated 4-stroke for mountain use.

At some point, and I suspect we are only 1 season away, Yamaha is going to release a FACTORY BOOSTED sled.

Doning my SnoWest / Harris Publishing Hat..
And when that happens, THEN you will see the first ever 4 stroke sled in the SnoWest Deep Powder Challenge. And then the side-by-side factory comparisons will begin in earnest.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I dont understand. If a sled comes from the factory with a turbo and is warrantied, or if the factory gets a second party ( MPI ) to produce a turbo to put on the sleds by a dealer ( or me in my case ) and have the warranty not be affected, whats the difference? To me it makes more sense to contract out the turbo to a person/company that has more experiance in this field to get a better end result. :noidea::noidea:

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
It's all about the turbo.

For me, the 2 grand dealer installed turbo is a very big deal. Get it straight from the factory, will be an even bigger deal.

170 to 180 horse at altitude is cool for stock sled. 6 to 8k for a 2stroke turbo kit chaps my ***.

Hope to see some Vipers around 14/15 season.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Yammi has a lot of money invested in there 4 stroke technology. A dedicated 2stroke Yammi mountain sled that is light, nimble and reliable would be nice to see. Yammi already has a huge diverse product line from pianos to boats and everything in between so having a 2 stroke snowmobile doesn't seem unreasonable....I loved my 700MM

DPG

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I dont understand. If a sled comes from the factory with a turbo and is warrantied, or if the factory gets a second party ( MPI ) to produce a turbo to put on the sleds by a dealer ( or me in my case ) and have the warranty not be affected, whats the difference? To me it makes more sense to contract out the turbo to a person/company that has more experiance in this field to get a better end result. :noidea::noidea:

I asked Harris about this last winter.
Why is it that the Factory authorized Turbo Nytro and now the Turbo Viper NEVER make it into the Deep Powder Shootouts?

Answer was because the other manufacturers would call fowl since it is NOT a factory sled vs. another factory sled.

So they told me that if and when Yamaha INSTALLS the turbo and delivers them installed to the dealer, THEN they will add them to the yearly challenge.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yammi has a lot of money invested in there 4 stroke technology. A dedicated 2stroke Yammi mountain sled that is light, nimble and reliable would be nice to see. Yammi already has a huge diverse product line from pianos to boats and everything in between so having a 2 stroke snowmobile doesn't seem unreasonable....I loved my 700MM

DPG
Ain't gonna happen.
That boat sailed years ago.

Yamaha is totally committed to 4 stroke technology at this point.
And NEW 4 stroke engines will be surfacing in the near future.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Ain't gonna happen.
That boat sailed years ago.

Yamaha is totally committed to 4 stroke technology at this point.
And NEW 4 stroke engines will be surfacing in the near future.[/

What's puzzling to me is yamaha is still produces 2stroke YZ250 dirt bikes perhaps because the demand is much greater in dirt bikes than in there snowmobile line of products...One thing is certain if Yamaha wanted to they could certainly build a wicked 2 stroke mountain sled. Consumer demand dictates everything.

DPG

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
It is funny that you mention dirt bikes because 4 strokes were too heavy and underpowered for decades until Yamaha rolled out the YZ400F. They won a national and things started progressing quickly until now the only 2 strokes at the track are the minis, and it has been that way for years. If you can get a 4s dirt bike within 10 lbs of a 2s, it can be done with sleds. The issue I think we are running into is maintenance, and cost to develop sleds since it is a much smaller market. Give it time and you will see 4s sleds from everyone and they won't suck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have to agree. The technology is there, but not the consumer demand. The sled consumer base is just so much smaller than dirt bikes.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I blame Bill Clinton, Al Gore and special interest groups like the Sierra Club for threatening closures of public lands & waterways and not giving OEMs a chance to produce cleaner efficient 2 strokes.....Here we are 10 plus years later and the OEMs have produced efficient cleaner 2 strokes equal in many ways to 4 strokes.

DPG

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
To be realistic (but probably going to come across negative) - I think the 4 stroke efforts are actually MORE half assed than they were a few years ago. At least when the Apex and Nytro platforms came out, they were virtually ground-up new chassis and engines. The Apex mountain was as close (or closer) to on-par with sled's of its time, than a stock Viper (i.e. non turbo) is now IMO. Ya the 4 strokes have developed for the better, but the 2 stroke offerings have also improved SIGNIFICANTLY in the same time frame.

Nowadays, the 1100T was a has-been within a year - poor reliability/durability, still heavy, and debuted as part of Cat's botched Proclimb chassis rollout. The Viper combines the Nytro's lackluster (stock) engine with the least desirable chassis in the 2-stroke market. That is the reality from the outside looking in. Spend more money on a turbo and have a reliable, fast, heavy sled - same story since the Apex with slightly different numbers.

So if you are DEAD SET on the 4 stroke, yes a Viper or 1100T would be an improvement over historical 4S options. So this is a good thing.

If you are a 2-stroke rider waiting for the day when 4S and 2S offerings are as closely matched as they are in the bike world, that day has not come. And I'm not sure we're any closer than when the Apex came out. As someone who would consider a 4S when/if this day comes (always rode 4S bikes) - I would say the progression, or lack thereof, has been disappointingly slower than expected.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't think you will get any argument on the fact that the Nytro/Viper engine is OLD technology.

Yamaha has moved forward since the Genesis was introduced years ago and that technology has NOT found it's way into the sleds YET..

BUT..
Yamaha has PROMISED US that we WILL be seeing new engines coming forth in the not to distant future.

And with a little bit of luck what we see being developed for their motorcycles may be a "hint" of the general direction they will go with the next generation of sled motors.

Premium Features