• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake Fade....Comes and goes...

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Started to happen last few rides, here is a short history of my sled, 2011 Pro RMK, 2200 Miles, Fresh DOT4 Fluid at the start of this season. On the last few rides this season, I have run into a situation where I have No brakes, the lever goes right to the bars, pump it up real quick, and they return. May last for a few hours, then it happens again. Fluid is full, and still clean. Sled can sit for weeks and the brakes are fine. Has me baffeled. This off season I may look into cleaning both the Master Cylinder and Caliper, and filling with fresh Fluid. Has anyone had a simular experience, and what was your remedy? Thanks.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Brake Fade

It sounds to me like your brake disk is warped or the center is sloppy. Something is pushing the brake pucks out farther that one pump on the brake handle can handle. That is why you have brakes after two or more pumps. The pucks are moved back into positon.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if there is no lose of fluid it can really only be two things other then air..

rotor warped like mentioned above...or plunger cups on piston...
caliper issues usually are brakes not releasing..

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Brake drag can cause the fluid to boil and the symptoms are similar to having air in the system. That is my best guess as to why it is fine when cold or after sitting for weeks. After riding it builds enough heat from brake drag to boil some vapors out of the fluid inside the caliper. As those vapors expand it drags worse. When you pump it a few times you force the vapors back into the fluid and get brakes again. It is my belief that is why there are multiple part numbers for the calipers, Polaris was trying to get a handle on the cause and the cure for this phenomenon.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Found the Culprit, the brake line, where it goes past the steering post, and upper Support, rubbed through one of the wire harness' feeding to the Grip warmers, and shorted out, melting the plastic covering off the Brake Line, thus boiling the fluid in the line, causing the fade, and now explaining my dim headlite and lack of grip warmers at times.

DSCF0656.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features