• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Service Honda- 2013 KX500AF Build Project

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Smarty sure runs nice ! I see you don't have your pipe wrap on ? Doesn't seem to make much difference when it is jetted perfect lol ! That carb is truely the answer. Nothing but good comments on all the various dirtbike forums ! I am going to buy a couple cast 36mm for my 300 and my wifes 200 for sure !

I love watching the 500 vids !

Yes, I'm not sure how necessary the wrap is? Keeping pipe temp's up makes sense, but I am going to run without and see if I notice any changes. The crisp, clean smart carb keeps it so clean and spot on, the pipe will be up to temp in just seconds anyway. With the Altitude and Temp compensating capabilities of the Smart Carb, now with the roll over valve and heat is pretty amazing.
Wrestling tournament with my son today. Two big rides planned next week. I am stoked!

Ya, the Big 500 2-strokers sure sound good. They feel and smell good too! Ha

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys,

We are finally getting some sun. Got some filming done the other day. Here is some raw footage of the "Roost Monster". Toward the end of the footage I get some WOT spots. It will throw a roost as tall as those Spruce Trees! A little ridiculous! Ha! The big KX with the 40mm Smart Carb is crazy fun. With this bike, It's not those long steady gurrrring suctions. It's more chopping the throttle, aim, and pull the trigger sections! Ha! A friend of mine is great at editing and will be putting some footage together for a vid. Here's some roost footage to enjoy! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axieupHrFzM

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
That thing is WICKED...Thank you for taking the time to post this up.

Although it wont compare to this monster.... I can't wait to be on my SXF450 Mountainhorse next season in Tahoe...that will be MH²

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Ha! That's funny. Ya, the thumpers don't sound very pretty, but they work. Did a 2-stroke ride yesterday with a KTM300. Wow!!! Very impressive.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
300 or 500 2-stroke? SmartCarb on EFI bikes?

Hi there Randy, I have a bevy of questions for you. I might be suffering from information paralysis analysis and would appreciate your help. I've been thinking the KTM 300 2-stroke is the way to go, some nice advantages over the 450 mx bikes -- .....but then I am also seeing a lot of older 500's for sale. Have read your build post several times. Wondering what bikes would be best for snowbikes? I don't mind spending more for a ktm 300 if that is an overall better way to go; I also don't mind spending $2-2.5K for a 500 if it doesn't make much difference. Would run a SmartCarb either way.

Unrelated question, what would be involved in installing a SmartCarb on an EFI bike, cost-wise and labor-wise (what would have to be done exactly to make it work)?? Thanks much, any help is appreciated.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hi there Randy, I have a bevy of questions for you. I might be suffering from information paralysis analysis and would appreciate your help. I've been thinking the KTM 300 2-stroke is the way to go, some nice advantages over the 450 mx bikes -- .....but then I am also seeing a lot of older 500's for sale. Have read your build post several times. Wondering what bikes would be best for snowbikes? I don't mind spending more for a ktm 300 if that is an overall better way to go; I also don't mind spending $2-2.5K for a 500 if it doesn't make much difference. Would run a SmartCarb either way.

Unrelated question, what would be involved in installing a SmartCarb on an EFI bike, cost-wise and labor-wise (what would have to be done exactly to make it work)?? Thanks much, any help is appreciated.

Alan,
Great questions. After countless hours in the shop, here is what I have learned. First of all, the 450F's are pretty good right out of the box. Fill them with gas and go ride. The only factors to consider are, they run cold and need a thermostat, they run rich and need an EFI tuner to lean them out, and when time to rebuild, they will cost you approx $2800.00 for a top quality race motor re-build. I got that quote from the FMF engine rebuild department. You do not "have to" have the tuner and thermostat. They work well and trouble free stock, but in order to run to their full potential I recommend those mods.

The 2-strokes run very well at those cooler temps. Do not need heated oil for the head and valve train, do not require a programmer to adjust fuel, and a rebuild can be done in your shop on a Saturday afternoon for about $180.00 and takes only about two hours. They do need jetted or a smart carb, and they do need a heater. The EFI throttle bodies are not prone to ice whereas the venturi in a carb will build ice in some conditions. Not every ride, but in certain conditions. Easy fix though for $69 bucks.

The KX500 in Napa would be a great platform to build a hot rod. They have a big motor and ton's of power but not as user friendly as the modern 4 stroke EFI's. The old WR500 I would probably pass on. The newer KTM 300 with e-start would be the best of both worlds. "summer and winter", "trail bike/snow bike". They come with a carb heater! electricity for extra's, very lite weight, and virtually zero maintenance. A rebuild is easy and inexpensive. That would be my first pick if I were to have one bike/12 months. They produce about 50hp, and work very well. They will keep up with the 450's, but not a "big hot rod", just a very fun and easy bike. Also, in the summer months, you would have one of the best woods bikes ever made. A 450 race bike does not make a fun single track bike at 8000' on a tight trail.

If I were to pick a "dedicated snow bike", and never take the track off. It would probably be a new KTM 450SXF. Very light weight, ton's of horsepower, more that the 500 XCW, close ratio transmission, and that little magic button, "E-start". That bike with a few "snow specific" mods makes a very nice snow bike. I have had the opportunity to ride one on demo's. It is super nice. Right there with it would be the Husqvarna 511. It is a cadallac with great performance and all the goodies. I tested one on a demo as well. It was super super nice. However, the kit for that bike is specific, and not universal.

For a big horsepower, aggressive hot rod, either the Service Powersports KX500AF or CR500AF. They are huge fun!!!

As for the APT smart carb on a 450F, I would love to try that myself. It is on the "to do" list. That would solve the over fueling conditions and piston wash for sure. It would also stay "spot on" every day regardless of where you ride. APT has racers world wide winning titles on 4-strokes with the "smart carb". It should work well on the snow, solving some EFI problems. They win the Pikes Peak race to 14000 feet with no tuning or adjusting! and out perform the EFI's! I would love to try one on a 4-stroke snow bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWnuIoJpzY

Hope this helps, Randy

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys, just a quick update. We had a great weekend demoing through Power Sports Tech of Roberts Mt, at the Wyoming High Country lodge. A big thank you to all the riders, Brad at Power Sports Tech for hosting a great weekend, and Corey and Donni of the Wyoming High Country Lodge for all their hard work and hospitality. We made a lot of new friends and many new excited snow bikers!!!

The "Monster" worked flawlessly. The Lodge where we were based sits at 9000 feet. We began our daily rides from there. I haven't touched my smart carb sense it was dialed in. It sat outside uncovered each night and started in two to three kicks frozen cold every morning at 9000 feet! wow. Through the day, it usually started in one kick. The smart carb adjusted for the extreme elevation and temp changes without ever touching it. My low to mid EGT's were in the high 800's to low 900's, and WOT was stable at 1180F. Exactly the same as back home. I was super impressed with the results of a long three days of demoing in a location completely different than my home turf.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hi Randy. Do you know if APT has the cast version out yet?

Yes they do. It is a cast 38MM, they have had a pre order program running sense around December? with deliveries beginning in April? "ish" I am only trying to recall the info, don't quote me on this. I would give them a call and get the latest on this. Thanks,

P.S. Corey may post the info here when he see's it.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Easily one of the best put together write ups I have seen on here in a long time! Great info, great discussions, and one heck of a build!! Keep up the good work!!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure if the cast pre order is still running or not. Thought it ended Mar 31 or was it April. The pre orders sound like they will start to ship middle to late April. They also have a cast 36mm coming out. I'm going to buy a couple of them for my KTMs if this 38mm cast works good !

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Guys,

Corey from APT has led me to a World Class lubrication company. I made a couple of phone calls and received quite an education. "Demonde Tech" has a line of state-of-the-art lubes we can all benefit from. They have specially designed lubes for 4 stroke engines, transmissions, clutches and chains. I think the YAP400 in 10/30 would be excellent in our 4 stroke moto bikes for both the engine and clutches. I am very excited to soak my chains in the BHP chain lube. Test's show the slick, fluid result actually reduces rolling resistance and a rear wheel gain in HP is observed! I think this will be the ultimate chain lube for our snow bikes.

Now for the 2 stroke guys, I am super excited about their DTP pre-mix. It has a burn characteristic that actually "builds" horse power. ATP has tested this 2 stroke oil on the dyno and it actually gives a HP gain. They also observed it is perfectly clean. My new combo will be DTP pre-mix, then their Torque Clutch oil, and BHP Chain lube.

After this spring season I am going to put a fresh top end in the "monster". I want to use their "two stroke brake-in oil" and brake-in procedure, then run DTP. I will monitor compression from brake-in through the season, as well as cleanliness in the exhaust, power valves, and plug. It will be an exclusive "Demonde Tech" lubed motor. I am excited about it. I have some DTP coming now to run for the spring season. I will keep you up to date with it.

Check out their site. Some very cool stuff.

http://www.dumondetech.com/dumonde/motorsports/

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Ton's of snow out there in the high country. Some friends and I got in a great ride. High speed for miles in steep high country. We covered a 50 mile loop. Great day, and the Monster was awesome. :D

tongue mtn ride 009 small.jpg

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Guys,

It's the season where I am starting to pencil out my next build project and promo bike for dealer support and demo's next season. I do one about every year like the "Monster" this past season. I will consider selling the "Monster" this spring to begin my next project. It is an amazing snowbike. Look over the thread if you haven't yet for all the info. In short, it is 25lbs lighter than a current 450F, and 20 more HP. It is an amazing boondocker. In addition to it as a monster snow bike, it is a very unique bike to have. A 2013 Service Honda, KX500AF, which is a "new" KX500 motor with nikasil cylinder and exhaust power valve, in a new KX250F frame.

If someone is interested, give me a shout. Thanks,

Thank you, It's sold....

Last edited:
U
Sep 12, 2010
You have reached the limit of your Free Basic Member reading privileges. To continue reading this thread, please upgrade to Premium Member status.

Premium Features