• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Yamaha Nytro MTX

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Here I thought I was going to have another 4 stroker in the trailer this year. Looks like either a Pro Climb or a Pro this season. Best of luck to Yami to have that in their line up next season.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I can share one more tiny insight.

This WOULD have been the "Lightweight Factory Boosted Sled" we were all hoping for.

I was told it might surface as a Mid-Season release next winter.

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
i don't get why it didn't pass emissions? if they are offering boost as a factory option, what is the difference? the emissions would be the same whether the dealer installs the turbo or the factory installs it. Have they come out with a new engine type that isn't currently available?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Honestly don't know.
But.
The Yamaha rep just dropped off two new demo sleds for test riding.
1 OEM Superchargered
and
1 Stage 2 Supercharged.

Now, I don't know WHY yet, but I have to wonder, WHY would Yamaha be offering a Stage 2 sled for us to take out and Test Ride???

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
just get out and tear it up. dont ask why? lighter would be a good option. let us know what you think. Are you still s/c yours?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Welllll
For me this is like a GIFT FROM HEAVEN.

Now I get to go and test ride pretty much exactly what I have been thinking about installing all season.

This opportunity just came out of no where and landed in my lap on Saturday.

So I am bailing on work tomorrow and will go RIDE IT LIKE I STOLE IT.

I have Never ridden a boosted sled before, so this will be my very first experience on a Nytro with proper Power to Weight ratio!!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Any part that installed by the dealer does not have to pass federal emissions laws. It is not a factory option. They are just making a deal on it. My guess would be that they were still using the controller that comes with the turbo or super. I would be pretty willing to bet that mpi has never figured emissions into the equation when designing their fuel and spark maps.

Hopefully yamaha is goin to work on a factory conciliar that can be made to pass emissions.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
They are inching closer and closer each season.
But then I am an eternal optimist.

They may be inching forward but the competition has just flown by. Yamaha makes a great engine but so does Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Honda. I have ridden Yamahas since the turn of the century and their 4 strokes since 2003 but they are really starting to drag their butts. They should have had a factory turbo out by now and please don't use liability as an excuse. That sure doesn't stop them from building street bikes that are capable of reaching speeds that are over triple the national speed limit!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I honestly wish I had an inside source into the mindset of Yamaha's snowmobile division, but I don't.

I can't begin to offer an explanation for why they are NOT doing some of the things we would consider OBVIOUS...

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
They may be inching forward but the competition has just flown by. Yamaha makes a great engine but so does Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Honda. I have ridden Yamahas since the turn of the century and their 4 strokes since 2003 but they are really starting to drag their butts. They should have had a factory turbo out by now and please don't use liability as an excuse. That sure doesn't stop them from building street bikes that are capable of reaching speeds that are over triple the national speed limit!

if a nytro had six speed tranny and a hand clutch it probably would hit 200mph. what is the last huge leap forward yamaha has made in the snow mobile market? how long did they keep the sx chassis or the old v-max chassis? patience my friend. it will come!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
if a nytro had six speed tranny and a hand clutch it probably would hit 200mph. what is the last huge leap forward yamaha has made in the snow mobile market? how long did they keep the sx chassis or the old v-max chassis? patience my friend. it will come!

To answer your first question I would say the RX introduction, and before that the Phazer. Don't hold your breath on anything groundbreaking to come out. All I expect is a boosted Nytro that copies the aftermarket offerings, and a lightweight skid that should be on every Nytro MTX. The icing on the cake might even be some lightweight drop brackets.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As the days pass more and more information is floating downstream to me on this whole project.

The whole EPA thing and the lack of emissions certification is looking more and more real now.

A factory installed Supercharged sled would have to meet full EPA emissions controls.

A "Dealer Installed" OEM Supercharger would NOT.

Superchargers run RICH as a safety precaution, so as not to melt down engines. This also means they tend to have a harder time with being emissions certified.

Just speculating here, with nothing to back this up.
But I am betting Yamaha and MPI are working together on a tighter fuel mapping routine to nail this baby down tight for next season.

Having ridden two of the MPI Supercharged sleds yesterday, I FIRMLY beleive that may be the solution to Yamaha's customer base that has been demanding a higher performance solution to the Nytro without going to a different engine platform.

I still think we may see a lightweight high power Nytro yet.

They have 6 months to work on this project now....

Premium Features