• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is my knock sensor on?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Benn tuning my turbo and everything is great in the shop.Good fuel pressure,rpms,egts,...everything ok. I disconnect all my gauges to take out all the plastic and hook it all back up again. So I fire it up,rev it up a little,warm it up and start testing it on the stand again. Pops on the top end at full throttle and knock sensor,limp home,check engine comes on....wtf? NOTHING has changed EXCEPT for the disconnect of wiring harness...could this be it?

I know what your thinkin..lean pop and knock sensor comes on...I will address that....but it should reset itself after you shut it down...it doesnt.

Knock sensor has been detuned already.

Might have a lose carb boot as clamps bolts are stripped...but could it be an electrical issue?

Suggestions?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Benn tuning my turbo and everything is great in the shop.Good fuel pressure,rpms,egts,...everything ok. I disconnect all my gauges to take out all the plastic and hook it all back up again. So I fire it up,rev it up a little,warm it up and start testing it on the stand again. Pops on the top end at full throttle and knock sensor,limp home,check engine comes on....wtf? NOTHING has changed EXCEPT for the disconnect of wiring harness...could this be it?

I know what your thinkin..lean pop and knock sensor comes on...I will address that....but it should reset itself after you shut it down...it doesnt.

Knock sensor has been detuned already.

Might have a lose carb boot as clamps bolts are stripped...but could it be an electrical issue?

Suggestions?

How do you detune a KS?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
No washer....I had the dealer detune the sensitivity in the spring.

I believe it is an electrical issue. Unplugged the KS and sled revs and runs fine.
Plug it back in and everything runs good,except that the code is still on in the gauge cluster. It wont reset. It just happened for no reason, Plugs are clean,no air leaks...dont know what is going on.

Check engine lite is on,knock sensor is on and limp home has disappeared. All was good until I unplugged all the wiring harnesses.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
No washer....I had the dealer detune the sensitivity in the spring.

I believe it is an electrical issue. Unplugged the KS and sled revs and runs fine.Plug it back in and everything runs good,except that the code is still on in the gauge cluster. It wont reset. It just happened for no reason, Plugs are clean,no air leaks...dont know what is going on.

Check engine lite is on,knock sensor is on and limp home has disappeared. All was good until I unplugged all the wiring harnesses.

The CEL was on when you had the KS unplugged?
Sounds like a connector/pin/wire issue.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Some days the doo ecm can get a bad attitude,,
a good swift kick in the used car salesmans *** get it on track again..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gus

J
Dec 22, 2008
Ellensburg
Mine did the same thing last week. Had the sled torn all the way down. Got it all back together and ready to run. Forgot to tighten the det sensor....check engine light is on and will not reset after I tightened up the sensor. Finally i took it for a hot lap and after a couple full throttle blips, the light went out and code disappeared. :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features