• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally got to try a Timbersled and a 2moto on the same snow conditions

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I got out for an early season ride today, mostly to try out my Buddy's Timbersled. The snow was very dry and light, with very little base. Not ideal testing grounds for a new machine.

Anyways, it was pretty clear that the Timbersled floats way better than the 2moto does.. but it lacks the excitement that the 2moto has on better traction snow. The 2moto definately puts the power to the ground more effectively.

I'd have to say that both systems have their plusses.. The Timbersled can be ridden through virgin deep snow at a very low rate of speed, without the worry about getting stuck at random. The 2moto just can't do that, unless there is a bottom to the snow.

I'm really surprised to say the 2moto holds it's own and actually in the right snow conditions actually does better than the Timbersled. Of course the opposite is also true.

The fact is, the Explorer kit simply isn't in the running. It robs power so bad compared to either of these 2 kits.

And yes, I've ridden all 3 kits.

We need more snow to really open it up as it was marginal ground coverage with hidden gems around every corner.

I do have to add one big plus to the 2moto kit, is you truly do have more options for how you customize the ride through all the shock settings. The Timbersled really only has the air shock pressure, the spacers on the yamaha style transfer rods, and the limiter straps. It was truly too cold and not ideal conditions for tuning. This was the Timbersled's bike first venture into the mtns. Jetting was a bigger issue than the snow kit which did not disapoint at all bone stock in setup. I was a little surprised to see that the "shock rod" on the timbersled was not adjustable in length.

The way the Timbersled connects to the front Ski saddle does require you to drill, but it is fairly easy to fit and seems to work just fine, unlike the Explorer's method for holding the ski on.

I've owned my 2moto for a few seasons now, and I do fully trust it as a reliable form of backcountry travel, I'm only focused on the Timbersled as it was like a new toy for the day.

Gearing on both kits is actually spot on, with the Timbersled being geared almost too low. First gear didn't seem needed on a YZ450F.

Jon

Good info. I own a Timbersled and a 2moto. There are definate positves and negatives to both. Yesterday was the first real ride on the Timbersled. I was amazed how it refuses to get stuck, it just keeps going.
I wish the Timbersled was geared higher, and the 2moto was a little slower. I've had the 2moto over 70mph, Timbersled tops out at 35-40.
Seems like the 2moto sidehills a little better. It seems to stick and track straight where the Timbersled track tends to slide down the hill making it necessary to countersteer to maintain a straight line.
The 2moto turns and carves sharper.
The 2moto track is stiffer, which I prefer because it hooks up more on hard snow.
Braking on the 2moto seems better as well, most likely due to the lack of an approach angle, the whole track digs in where the Timbersled slides on top like a sled does.

Overall the Timbersled seems easier to ride. Its very stable, suspension is plush... I let the limited straps out to hole 8, which seemed to help keep the ski light and reduce darting on the trail, and didn't seem to hurt its climbing ability compared to the other two in the group.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Good write ups.. Ive been waiting for someone with experience on both to post their feelings about the 2 machines..
I love my 2 moto but found the lack of power to be its demise. (for the type of riding I wanted to do.. Glaciers and larger hills) anywhere else it is a blast
We saw huge improvements on the 2 moto when a snowhawk(explorer) twin axes ski setup was used..at least on the trails. I dont like riding the trails, but you have to in order to get to the good stuff.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
If you think the 2moto suffered from power delivery then the Timbersled isn't for you (Unless your gonna be doing something to triple the power of the bike).

If you put the Explorer front ski setup on the 2moto, wouldn't that be the most awkward thing ever to start after dumping it? I can't imagine! It's hard enough now sometimes to get it to stand up.

I agree, the Timbersled is easier to ride, and also safer feeling to just explore on as your not worried quite as much about the front end plunging.

We have 2 2moto's in the group, and 1 Timbersled. The Timbersled is not to be followed with a 2 moto, as they can be ridden so slowly that the 2moto just gets stuck in the little depressions ect that the TS just floats through.

We'll have to see how fuel mileage plays out. I'd suspect the effective range on the TS is going to be substantially less than a 2moto. Pushing both around the shop it's pretty obvious that the 2moto has less drivetrain resistance.

Jon

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
If you think the 2moto suffered from power delivery then the Timbersled isn't for you (Unless your gonna be doing something to triple the power of the bike).

If you put the Explorer front ski setup on the 2moto, wouldn't that be the most awkward thing ever to start after dumping it? I can't imagine! It's hard enough now sometimes to get it to stand up.

Jon

No way your getting that much power out of any bike.. hence my change up to modded snowhawks..
The explorer front end is adjustable for a stiffer side to side. Its really not a problem.. The twin axes ski works so well in the trails you can keep up with sleds. no more darting around.
This will be my 4th year on the single skis.. to much fun!!

It is geared for the mountians. But if u swap the top gear and the bottom gear it is a 20% higher gear ratio.

Does that work? Might have to try that, I like the fact that first gear is really slow, but I could use a lot more speed on the road just to make it more fun. I could see wanting it geared higher for spring conditions as well, we were using 5th quite a bit in 8-12" of powder.

Gearing is a minor issue, overall its a pretty impressive kit.

Nov 28, 2007
Im sorry i was wrong it is a 38% change so if it topped out at 45 mph it would go 62 mph and yes it will work you can just swap them. I have not ran it that way but it will work and it clears the cover.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Hay Guys its Allen at Timbersled.

Want to give you some info about the gearing that will be helpful information.

The gearing on the snow bike kit is set up to be used for all around steep ground mountain riding. In these areas you will be using 2nd and 3rd gear to climb. On the trail you should expect to cruse at around 40 mph in top gear without revving the engine out of its comfort zone.

Here is the cool part. If you decide that you want it to be taller geared then here is what you can do. Switch the top and bottom gear in the chain case. This will make it have about the same gearing as the bike did with tires. For example at 40 mph you would now be going 55 mph. This would make the top speed of the bike about 70 mph. On harder packed snow it will also give it more pull because each gear will be longer between shifts.

Here is what I would recommend for everyone that is just get started riding them, is if you are mountain riding, then keep it set up the way they are until you get a few more rides on them. We have tested many different gearing set-ups and determined that you need the low gearing for mountain riding. The bike will remain in a taller gear on the hill and will be much easier on the engine clutch and transmission of the bike.

There are also other size gears available. The tricky part is to come up with the ideal set up that will accommodate the length of the chains and there maximum and minimum adjustment abilities.

N
Nov 25, 2010
Do any of you fellows know where in Colorado I could go check out a Timbersled kit. Thought there was a shop up near Kremmling that carried them but was wondering from some of the CO riders if they had any idea of a good shop that might have one on display as well.

SNOADDICT

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hey guys just wanted to give my feedback on the timbersled kit, I just got back from revy on Tuesday and here are my findings. I've got the kit on a ktm 505 and I've never rode a snowbike before so this was going to be a learning experience. Before I took it to the mountains I took it for a quick ride in the field at home and I too found that it was geared low so I swapped the top and bottom gears as per allans advice, problem solved. The ride up the trail was intersting I found it did require a lot of attention to keep it pointed up the trail I might try loosening the limiter strap as well to take some pressure off the skis. Once I got to the powder I was blown away, as were the two guys that were with me. There was about two feet of real powder with a decent base and I could go anywhere including climbing hills, that I did not expect at all. The trees were a blast the two other guys were on sleds one a 2010 skidoo 154 and one a Polaris assault they tried to keep up but both were stuck in about five minutes. The really cool thing in the trees was you did not have to worry about keeping your momentum up you could just cruise along in first gear and it would just cut through the snow. Coming off of a 900 king cat this was amazing for me. After we got everyone out of the trees we decided to go play on some hills this had me concerned but the sled guys didn't want to play in the trees anymore so away we went. The light was horrible so we didn't stay up in the alpine to long but I did make a few pulls and once again was impressed we decided that it compared to a very well running 700 this made me pretty happy I think i might even have convinced a couple of guys that were skeptics before that these things can hang with the sleds. All in all I was very impressed, now I just have to figure out my cold weather starting issues and find a softer seat and I'm set.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I like the sound of your report. I suspect the taller gearing will work for most of the conditions we ride too.

Since I've tried 3 different brands of snowbikes, I think it's safe to say that on the hardpack/groomed stuff they all are almost dangerous feeling at worst, and uneasy at best. Once you appreciate their strengths off trail, you will quickly learn to put up with the hard condition handling aspects.

Once we have more snow, you'll also find that you can very easily NOT follow the groomed stuff yet still get to the end location with ease and more fun.

I can't wait for a bit more snow to get our for a real exploring ride.

Jon

SNOADDICT

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Ya it pulled the taller gear no problem. Don't forget that in order to fit the chain on I had to drop to a twelve tooth drive sprocket so that dropped me down quite a bit as stock is fourteen so the first ride I was only able to do about 40 km per hour. I felt pretty comfortable with how it is now I could climb in third most of the way up a decent sized hill if I had to back out of it for some reason I did have to shift down to second but if I could hold it pinned third would do it

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
air filter

are you guys having any trouble with your air filters freezing. In just a short amount of time my air filter was froze over and choking out my bike. Tried a pod with outerwear and still same problem.. With no tunnel to direct the snow away from the engine it quickly becomes covered in snow so im making a makeshift top of the tunnel and around the front some.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
are you guys having any trouble with your air filters freezing. In just a short amount of time my air filter was froze over and choking out my bike. Tried a pod with outerwear and still same problem.. With no tunnel to direct the snow away from the engine it quickly becomes covered in snow so im making a makeshift top of the tunnel and around the front some.

Ive never seen that happen.. we always have run the pods with the skins on the 2motos. no issues whats so ever. I dont oil them.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Well, we got out again today.. And YES the Timbersleds will go places the 2moto won't but if both are able to go to the same place, then in my opinion the 2moto is more fun.

I wish the 2moto had a bit more track, and a bit more slow speed floatation as someone else mentioned.

Either kit is a great way to spend a Sunday, lets be honest!

Jon

Premium Features