• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wave of the future!

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
this may bring some heat but... here goes.

I love my snowbike. hands down the funnest thing in tight, steep terrain. the whole mountain becomes a motox park covered in a big white blanket. you can flat out rip on this thing. i don't hesitate to drop into things that i can't get thru on my sled. in the spring... forget about it! this is the only thing to ride!

having said all that, i have found (for me) that the deep pow days are best done on a sled. i've heard you can put a turbo on an EFI bike and get on top in the deep stuff but that's a ton of money. New bike (EFI are new) about $7-8K new turbo, about $4k, new 2moto set up, about $4+K, bigger tank, $200, all the other stuff that makes it good in the big mountain scene... about $500 - $1000. add all that up= just short of $16k! thats a lot of moola in my world.

so for me, I can ride the bike i have for summer fun with just the $4k on the kit, ride the sled i have in the deep stuff and enjoy the best of both worlds. price and proof are the only thing stopping me from being a total convert.

bottom line: I love that bike option! it is soooo fun and i'm glad i have it. just wish there were more guys in my area that had them... riding with sled guys is fun but a "bike only" day would put us in some new terrain. :)

hauler

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I don't see htem becoming as popular as snowmobiling (or mx), but there's definately a niche for them.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
I think there will be a market for them, once perfected, price is in line (very close already). I heard the guys at the Sandpoint snocross had fun on them. Why not, times change right? Not sure I would buy one without riding it for a day though.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Now this is total heresay BUT what I have HEARD is that if you ride a snowbike for an entire year hard, a 450 motor is trashed at the end. Now if that is true, and I have a pretty good idea it is, then that adds quite a price to final tally for a years worth of fun. Just thoughts

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
actually I can testify to the opposite, both on my bike and quite a few (all?) the bikes 2moto uses for demos. those bikes get hammered all year long and i don't think they have ever smoked a motor.

i did experience what seemed like heat soaking for the first time ever on my bike this year. granted i was floggin her pretty good in the preston mtn area and it got plenty steep and deep before I felt the power drop a bit. take a break, chipped some snow and ice off the bike and gave it a chance to cool off. thats one thing the bike does quickly in the mtns. depending on the day and the depth of snow, you can ride a bit with the choke on and don't have to use the hot start lever very often.

like any motor sport, you need to do maintenace or have it done. I can say, i fear smokin my sled (or dealing with my buddy's sled) more than the bike letting me down. I mean, how often do you have to tow a bike out of the trails or dunes... 2 times for me not fuel related, in about 17 years. not too bad.

these things are great but like the different kinda of sleds (mtn,trail...) there is a time and place that works better than others. if you ride one on a demo, you will be hooked after an hour! if you ride motox, you'll fight it for 15 mins, get used to it by 30 mins, and be rockin and airing it out a the 1 hour mark!

Hauler

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Long time comming.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1178646187.html

VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE TO SNOWMOBILE CONVERSION TRAC - $400 (monroe)

Reply to:sale-77f6e-1178646187@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-19, 9:49AM PDT

You might be familiar with the new 2MOTO conversions for the big dirt bikes but BACK up 40 years to an earlier versions made. Some guys near spokane WA. that owned a TRIUMP dealer ship built these kits and sold them for only a couple years....... They actually mounted these on 650 triumps and I was told there was nothing that could catch them in the snow. They were marketed to adapt to most any bike made back then. As shown in add on a Honda, maybe 250cc's.
This is a SHREW SNOW CYCLE built around 1967. This unit was pulled out of a warehouse were it had sat for 40 years.... NEVER USED...

I am selling this as a novelty and make no promises as to its saftey or ability to withstand a thrashing if gassed real hard..... Front ski is included but I am missing all other hardware to mount this..
trades consided Call 425..418..0164

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3m13pd3l1ZZZZZZZZZ95jcbee9ed382561395.jpg
3k13m03o5ZZZZZZZZZ95j70bf08ad8d831d49.jpg
3mf3oc3l4ZZZZZZZZZ95jaa6a46cd6a97155b.jpg
3n03k83m6ZZZZZZZZZ95j02b4374cb9a51eea.jpg

PostingID: 1178646187

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Depending on the bike if you flog most of the 4 stroke bikes all day every weekend for a year your prolly due for a top end at the very least anyway. All depends on how you ride.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
motor thrashin!

Depending on the bike if you flog most of the 4 stroke bikes all day every weekend for a year your prolly due for a top end at the very least anyway. All depends on how you ride.

I don't think it's possible, put that kind of hurt to a thumper on the dirt, even in the sand. deep, heavy snow = WFO all day long!!!!!!!!

A
Mar 4, 2008
Not sure why most guys think you have to flog your bike in the mtns. I putt on mine in the steep and deep and never have any issues. It seems the slower I go the more fun it is. The Explorer kit is a little wider than the other kits out there, Maybe thats why I can just cruise around. I weigh 175lbs and I'm sure the bike weighs close to 300 with everything all said and done. all I know is its a crap load of fun in the tight and twisty. I agree the sled option is better for big open meadows with big cornices. I had my 530 pulled apart after this last winter. Nothing looked or measured worn. I was worried about it being hard on my motor, and those worrys are now in the past. I just need more guys to ride with and it could be trouble.

X
Sep 15, 2008
Now this is total heresay BUT what I have HEARD is that if you ride a snowbike for an entire year hard, a 450 motor is trashed at the end. Now if that is true, and I have a pretty good idea it is, then that adds quite a price to final tally for a years worth of fun. Just thoughts

people need to make sure they change the oil every 5 hours (because the oil capacity is so small), and with motorcycle specific oil. not car oil. also, extended time on the rev limiter isn't the best idea. it's a warning for a reason

X
Sep 15, 2008
It's awesome that the snowbikes have their own forum here. now the next big step is to get a forum on thumpertalk!!!! i think that'd get way more converts than here.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I am thinking of converting too, got whipped by a CRF 450R last spring. Bought an 03 450 for 2250 bucks, and thinking of getting a track and selling my m10. Is it the right thing to do? Two of my buddies have already made the jump. I already have a desert tank....hmm...

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
yes

From what I have seen, an 800-1000 will beat a bike on a straight up point and shoot hill, but on side hills and in the trees the bike will smoke it. I think a good 450 with a desert tank and a radix track would be the ultimate boondocker. I can see where it would get boring, but three of my buddies have already made the jump... Watch the youtube videos of it. I was very skeptical until i actually saw it in action.

Premium Features