• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Turbo Kits---soon!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I hear alot of folks asking about price.....IMO when your modding a motor and your concerned about price your better off not attempting such a mod.

Turbo kits need to come complete with all the bells & whistles if there expected to run with the least amount of headaches...Bottom line you get what you pay for.

OT

OT, Price is a factor. When you can look at a TurboBoys setup for 6500, then check out a CPI set up and the price is 4000. It makes ya wonder. I'm not knocking either so don't even try to accuse me of that. Both kits are comparable, same boost pressure, same HP output but the price is WAY different. I know guys that have the ability to build their own kit from parts purchased at a race shop and I KNOW that they didn't drop 6500 in clams to build it. I wish that I had the knowledge and the resources to build my own but I don't.

I am concerned with price because I have to pick up a sled for the wifey, AGAIN:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and I don't have an endless supply of cash like some of the peeps on this site claim.

If Dave can make a competitive kit with everything that a rider would need to have a good running and reliable sled without the headaches of rebuilding the top end every other week or sitting in a meadow for 3 hours everyday dialing it in and making the price fair, then I'll be all over it.

I'd love to have the power available to me whenever I want it. I have tried NOS and that is only as good as long as the bottle lasts and if you can get it refilled after every ride. I have tried BB kits and was let down bigtime!

I am all for the little guy developing a great performing kit and getting in on the market to make a decent name for himself. I'd rather do that than drop 6500 on a kit that has the same stuff, but end up paying for the mortgage on a fancy, schmancy shop and bling bling webpage. Just my 2 cents.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Agreed. And Dave, that answered my question. I have never run straight up a hill in a drag race. Thats for spodes imo, I want a kit that boondocks, climbs and runs hard. A little tuning doesnt bother me and more maintenance doesnt bother me. I want the thing to be bad in the mountains. The lower boost it will get the job done on the better.

Is your boost controller going to have the ability to adjust from like 5 to 15 pounds or similar??

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm getting good response from this post and from pm's and e-mail. A lot of intrest. I know going into spring/summer most are not going to want to spend the money now and have it sit there and look at it all summer. The kits will come with everything NEEDED. If you have EGT or AFR gauges or want to buy them later or elsewhere that would be it. There will be upgraded options for those who what to pimp out the kit some, but the cost will be more and could be a delay in shippment. I'm trying to build a complete kit that is for most understandable, installable and affordable. I can not build a poor quality product, sell it, cash the check and then have non-stop phone calls or 5 people on the phone answering questions about a piss poor product. I want to be out ridding and I'm sure you would like to be also. There will be glitches no doubt, but I'm contacted easily and will do my best to take care of a customer. My reputation and name are at stake.

Time and patience waiting for the kit cost and pictures. I want this to be as close to what the customer will get when I release it. I don't want to jump the gun and rush anything and compromise the kits.

Dave

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Don't know if it will go that low. The magic starts at about 7 psi. Whatever we feel is safe for straight pump fuel would be our lower boost target level. But yes there will be a range of adjustability on the boost controller. From mild to wild.

Dave

Agreed. And Dave, that answered my question. I have never run straight up a hill in a drag race. Thats for spodes imo, I want a kit that boondocks, climbs and runs hard. A little tuning doesnt bother me and more maintenance doesnt bother me. I want the thing to be bad in the mountains. The lower boost it will get the job done on the better.

Is your boost controller going to have the ability to adjust from like 5 to 15 pounds or similar??

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Best thing you could do right now Dale is get one of these sleds up to cooke and just sit in the parking lot with a big sign. Let anyone ride it that wants to. Any heavily populated place would be good. But let some people experience it even if it is for a breif moment. That's all it took for me.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Nate that will happen for next season along with some other hot spots. Really don't want to be posing all day, but an informed get together on the hill would be good. Let people ride them and see first hand what they think or would like to see done different. At this piont I have nothing better to do than R&D to find what I feel works the best. We will be testing all summer long too. Lets not forget winter isn't over yet either:).

Dave

Best thing you could do right now Dale is get one of these sleds up to cooke and just sit in the parking lot with a big sign. Let anyone ride it that wants to. Any heavily populated place would be good. But let some people experience it even if it is for a breif moment. That's all it took for me.

S

skull

Price

I agree about the price of kits out there are all over the board, but we also need to consider what is coming in the kits, because there not all the same. You have turbos costing from $400 to $2500. Thats just one item, not always the cheepest kit is the best kit. Thats just my 2 cents.

thanks
Jim

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
The price is all ove the map because you need to ask what type of turbo are you installing and what size turbo all adds up. All turbo's can make 7to 12 psi with ease and the larger turbo's make alot more.

Example: Mitsubishi Turbo's cost $ 500.00, Garret Turbo $1000.00 AeroCharger Turbo $2000.00

Isn't the R&D worth something ?

OT

D
Nov 20, 2005
R&D Custom Turbo Werx:
We sell horse power!!

I have been busting a$$ to get the finishing touches done on the turbo XP kits I will be selling for next season and pitcures will be coming soon. Mocking up another kit now for an 09 XP. Mine is for an 08 so we should have good comparisons between the two years. I just wanted to give some people something to think about as the season is winding down. I have not determined a final price on the kits yet but here is what will be included:

Garrett GT ballbearing turbo
Turbo muffler
Turbo filter
Turbo specific reeds. Hopefully a Boyesen Turbo Rage Cage
Boost controller
Charge box and charge tube
All required tubing, hoses and electrical
Fuel pump
Oil pump
EGT or AFR gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
Boost gauge
Fuel pressure regulator
Blow off valve (BOV)
Nord-Loc washers on the Y-pipe if you don't have them
Clutch tower brace if you don't have one
Carb mods
Power Jets
Rave valve mods
Gauge pod
Wiring harness with oem plugs so no spliceing. (plug and play)
Turbo to pipe adaptor. (no pipe mod required)
Clutching kit

I am trying to offer a turbo kit for the XP that you can easily install and then take off with little or no changes made to the sled for re-sale. You will keep your oil injection in use. There will be other options available too. Polishing, anodizing, powdercoating, chroming and ceramic plating will all be extra. Tial SS turbine housing will also be an option for those who want it. Side dump exhaust or out the bottom like factory. If you have the EGT or AFR gauge and want to use your own clutching knowledge the price will reflect those items you don't need. We will do installation and sell informative kits with detailed instructions with personal support as you need it. We have had good luck on the turbo Rev running everything from pump gas to race gas and hope the results will be the same for the XP kits. As of now we are focusing on full race gas kits at 12-15 pounds of boost and then being able to turn it down and run blended or pump fuel.

Please leave any feed back as to what you would like to see being offered. We might be overlooking something.

Dave Halverson
dwhalverson@rap.midco.net
605-791-2291 Home
605-484-6822 Cell

that would be great......i would want just 5 pounds of boost just to help out up in the altitude,with the horse power

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I am waitng on some final parts to give some good detailed pictures of what will come in the kit. I don't want to just show pictures of the sled with the turbo installed.

I will honestly say I didn't think I would get the response I have and should have had the final priceing and final installation pictures done. But going into summer I thought I had time--my mistake. Gives me a feel of how prepared I will need to be this fall/winter. I think I will offer a summer price special sometime after July so I can finalize on some more testing. For those who would be interested in more than one kit, I would offer a discount to those individuals. Those prices will be figured after the compltete kit prices. We will offer installation prices too, but for most the install with detailed instructions will get the job done. I kind of feel like you need to know your machine and think this would be good for everyone involved. I understand some don't have the tools, knowlege, time or care to get their hands dirty. For those we will offer installation or recommend you taking it to a good performance shop.

Thanks again for the interest. Prices and pictures coming soon.

Dave Halverson

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
let's get serious

that would be great......i would want just 5 pounds of boost just to help out up in the altitude,with the horse power

Why would you spend 4 grand for only 5 pounds of boost, not a very good bang for the buck. Does the turbo even do anything at 5 lbs? Would it beat a 2 thousand dollar big bore?

i only want 5 also , but sure would make use of 10 keep us up to date please

That's a litttle more like it. Honestly if I had one of these the boost controller better be tapped out at 10 lbs or zip tied to the underside of a piston because I would only want to run 100ll and after you get a taste of this you will be cranking on the controller like a meth addict probing for a vein..... just a little more, just a little more.:psycho icon)

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
That's about the truth:D:D:D. I ask my friends: Why would you want to turn it down? I thought the boost controller only turned one direction, UP!!!

That's a litttle more like it. Honestly if I had one of these the boost controller better be tapped out at 10 lbs or zip tied to the underside of a piston because I would only want to run 100ll and after you get a taste of this you will be cranking on the controller like a meth addict probing for a vein..... just a little more, just a little more.:psycho icon)

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
The price is all ove the map because you need to ask what type of turbo are you installing and what size turbo all adds up. All turbo's can make 7to 12 psi with ease and the larger turbo's make alot more.

Example: Mitsubishi Turbo's cost $ 500.00, Garret Turbo $1000.00 AeroCharger Turbo $2000.00

Isn't the R&D worth something ?

OT

x2. Couldnt have said it better myself. I think skidoo has to be one of the harder sleds to R&D no?

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
That will be crowding the schedual, but it does give me a goal:eek:. I just dropped some more parts off to be coated today. Wish I could be doing some more testing before our snow is gone, but now I'm obligated to get this kit out the people. Sometimes you have to tear it down to build it up:D. I will keep the new info on these kits current on this post and reply to the pm's I get too.

Dave

Dave,

Keep me in the loop. BTW, the Colorado Spring Fling is the first weekend in May. Plenty of snow to be had.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
x2. Couldnt have said it better myself. I think skidoo has to be one of the harder sleds to R&D no?

Nate, carberators will make the R&D a tad harder as you know... Its all do able now adays and getting easier all the time as long as your willing to spend the coin......Wouldn't this be nice. An 800EFI XP with a 28R or 66 turbo with a PureLogic fuel controler.

Like i said Carberation vs EFI...Carberation is probably the weakest link regardless of which boost package.

OT

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Quote(Like i said Carberation vs EFI...Carberation is probably the weakest link regardless of which boost package.)

What do you think of this Dave??

I know that issues were had getting the fuel curve right on some of the older turbo carb sleds. And then issues were had if you chopped the throttle too quickly under bigger boost it would load up really bad. I have always thought that if the system was sized correctly, the BOV acted quickly enough, and the fuel curve was right the thing should ride every bit as good as a fuel injected sled. JMO, Dave??

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Why would you spend 4 grand for only 5 pounds of boost, not a very good bang for the buck. Does the turbo even do anything at 5 lbs? Would it beat a 2 thousand dollar big bore?

The problem with adding too much boost is a maintenance issue, these motors are built to handle a given horsepower for X hours of reliability. So by boosting the thing beyond its hp/h or reliability means breakdowns and buddies getting pissed because you always have to be diddling with stuff. Sure, it will be nice to boost it for a ride or two, but for the sled to be reliable and pleasurable, the guy with some selfcontrol is gonna have a lot more fun in the long run. If I spend 4k I want it to work all the time. I dont live near the mountains so when I go to ride I want to ride the whole time, not have trips where I am at the truck myself trying to tinker to get it to run better. Its not just add a little race gas and you'll be ok, it is, in the long run a issue with the power the engine can handle and keep from self distructing. So in the end you spend 4 k and keep it boosted 12+ with race gas then spend another 1k every year rebuildng the motor so reliability remain intact. Just makeing an 800r run at the 150 hp its supposed to will be a wake up to most. I have ridden my summit at sea level it goes 103 mph, and corner to corner on trail, no need to steer the skis dont touch the ground until you let off. So going from the 30 hp loss at elevation to stock power will be a blast and reliable. Will 5lb do that? I have no clue, but I do know I want to ride when I get to the hill. Clutch set up will be simple at full hp at elevation it would be clutched like it as designed to at sea level. Every component of the sled was built around handleing 150 hp so going beyond that is a shot in the dark. 4k and have it be reliable sounds better bang for the buck than 4k + unknown maint cost each year/month/ride. Dont take this the wrong way, I like power too but its more important to me and my riding buddies to be reliable, than be able to drag race and climb higher some of the time while its running good. I had 4 buddies out in Utah that rode with a few guys with boosted sleds and one ran good the rest where left behind by noon due to issues with there sleds, the one that ran good was a 6# pump gas sled, they said it rocks and was a blast to ride.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta

The problem with adding too much boost is a maintenance issue, these motors are built to handle a given horsepower for X hours of reliability. So by boosting the thing beyond its hp/h or reliability means breakdowns and buddies getting pissed because you always have to be diddling with stuff. QUOTE]

Set up properly boost will not stress a motor that much, roughly at 14 psi you are only adding around 20 to 30 percent more max cylinder pressure but the pressure is there for a longer duration though the power stroke. This is providing that you are running the proper octane and everything is in tune. You will never see this kind of power with this level of reliability with just a big bore. I have had very few problems with turboed motors.

Premium Features