• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can either conversion be used on this?

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
It almost has a bellypan! My new bike!

950adv002.jpg

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Yea, nice bike!!!
I've got a heavy GS Adventure bike I'll trade...................
GS's make great one ski bikes............

Say it isnt so.. two BMW riders looking envious at the big KTM???
Im thinking Tony will have something to say about that..

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
KTM 950's ROCK! Yes I do want one, they are three times the bikes off road that the GS's are, however the GS's will rip you up on the road. They will do the dirt, just not as much fun as the KTM.......KTM are really nice bikes........do you lock your garage? have a dog?

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Answer to your question TCS!

I see no problem putting an Explorer on your 950, even a 2Moto could be adapted to that old school chain drive if you have enough $$, R might do a better job.

184555297-L.jpg

One day I will have mine!
DSCI0031.jpg

Shaft drive means no snow kit, I'd be fine with the Aprilia 550 I rode at Hawk Fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wkjOo90Kg

Sad thing is if I had the above, I'd give a rats a$$ about Snow Hawks ,or anything else for that mater!!!:face-icon-small-blu

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Bet that 503F I have weighs the same!

Or simalar to your 2Moto/KTM525/double tanker, ask your buddy Tim, remember he rode Ozzydogs.

Oh, of course you remember, why did'nt you ride an 800 that day?:face-icon-small-sho

Seems to be a theme with this thread, wonder what kind of mc your average Twoski might pretend to ride?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Oh, of course you remember, why did'nt you ride an 800 that day?:face-icon-small-sho

Seems to be a theme with this thread, wonder what kind of mc your average Twoski might pretend to ride?

..I wanted to ride my bike more. Not to say Im done with riding a hawk,But I really did not enjoy myself in lolo and wish I had stayed with the 2moto. for that day anyways.
That being said, there may be something new in my garage in the next few weeks.. it will be heavy, but Ill get used to it.. just like the GS
man Im spending way to much time on here, it makes me work till midnight.

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Let's clarify some stuff here guys !!!

Or simalar to your 2Moto/KTM525/double tanker, ask your buddy Tim, remember he rode Ozzydogs.

I'd say the average 2 ski rider don't ride motorcycles, they ride CVT equipped quad like a Can-Am Explorer... That probably allows them to still drink beer & ride unlike 2 wheels/one ski machines.

If some of them ride motorcycle in the summer and don't ride quad for the "training wheel" reason, then there's a potential Hawk rider there.

I stopped at the KTM dealer here in Vernon and the guy said they may fit a 2-moto kit on the new 690 dual purpose bike. (I must say that it's a really nice bike by the way) He said :"stock, this bike is 64HP !!! Add an exhaust system and work it a bit (10 more Horses) relocate the rear tank at the front (some guys did it apparently) and we're in business ! "

Then I added this : "My hawk cranks out about 150-155 horse, weights around 410# dry and has a nicely tuned CVT that holds RPM awesome in any type of snow". He said "Ooooooh, (3 sec silence), I see." (as if I was talking about something totally in another class).

Sure 64-74 horses sounds good for powering 2 wheels on pavement/hardpack dirt, but reality is that you'll need about twice as much on snow to have the same performance you get on pavement !!! And we're not talking about the transmission, if you have a wide ratio between your gears, you're f'hawked.

For me, fitting a track and a ski on a bike will always remain "Option #2". Or option #1 if you can't buy a Hawk. Snow-Hawks are the way to go in the winter time. And besides : if you have enough power to lift that ski, you won't feel that much of the weight.

Weight on the hawk is only an issue for me when the 12 GAL tank is 3/4 to full & when I roll it over and need to put it back up on its track/ski !!!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Dont get me wrong

I'd say the average 2 ski rider don't ride motorcycles, they ride CVT equipped quad like a Can-Am Explorer... That probably allows them to still drink beer & ride unlike 2 wheels/one ski machines.

If some of them ride motorcycle in the summer and don't ride quad for the "training wheel" reason, then there's a potential Hawk rider there.

I stopped at the KTM dealer here in Vernon and the guy said they may fit a 2-moto kit on the new 690 dual purpose bike. (I must say that it's a really nice bike by the way) He said :"stock, this bike is 64HP !!! Add an exhaust system and work it a bit (10 more Horses) relocate the rear tank at the front (some guys did it apparently) and we're in business ! "

Then I added this : "My hawk cranks out about 150-155 horse, weights around 410# dry and has a nicely tuned CVT that holds RPM awesome in any type of snow". He said "Ooooooh, (3 sec silence), I see." (as if I was talking about something totally in another class).

Sure 64-74 horses sounds good for powering 2 wheels on pavement/hardpack dirt, but reality is that you'll need about twice as much on snow to have the same performance you get on pavement !!! And we're not talking about the transmission, if you have a wide ratio between your gears, you're f'hawked.

For me, fitting a track and a ski on a bike will always remain "Option #2". Or option #1 if you can't buy a Hawk. Snow-Hawks are the way to go in the winter time. And besides : if you have enough power to lift that ski, you won't feel that much of the weight.

Weight on the hawk is only an issue for me when the 12 GAL tank is 3/4 to full & when I roll it over and need to put it back up on its track/ski !!!

Your absolutely correct, the hawk is in another class.. But for some it may not be choice 1. I do respect your choices. for me, so far the bike is what I like. I have been put to shame while riding with the Hawk guys at Baker, and the bike is out classed there by far. But Thats not where I usually ride. sometimes cruising threw the trees combined with the very low maintenance factor, ease of moving around,operating cost, etc. makes it a better choice for some.
To say we have a conversion because we cant afford a hawk is B.S.
I ride an EXC.. thats a wide ratio tranny.. I guess Im f'hawked.
In fact it smokes a motocross style bike, or maybe thats other factors at play.
I am planning on getting a hawk and Ill learn to ride it. But I will still chose the bike in certain areas or conditions. The real answer is a bike based, hawk tracked 100 hp machine. for me anyways.
probably not to popular of an opinion on the hawk forum, maybe Ill see you guys in the woods.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ktm 990

to my knowlege the explorer is not an option for that large of a bike. The whole point of snowbiking in the beginning was to take your existing bike and make it snow worthy.

I love snow hawks period. Butttttttttttt if riding in tight trees which we do alot of the time the bike kit is by far easier to ride. They for sure have there place on the snow however after jumping my hawk like some of the other crazy yahoos on here I cant wait till friday to ride agian and nail some jumps. Last weekend was like being on my mx bike again, what a blast..

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Another reason they don't have large bike converstions:

Mine weights 600 lbs and you couldn't pick it up off the snow!!!!!!

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and
death and stuff."
-Mariah Carey, pop singer

Utah 6-8-07 Garys 2gb Pics 197 (Large).jpg

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
i can hear the call now(goodspeed)

1-800-AAA... hi.i have fallen off my bike and i need assistance...

operator: you need a tow?

nope,just a bigger guy than me to help get her back on 2 wheels again...and maybe some gas since its leaking while my bike is on its side....

P
Dec 5, 2007
Colville WA
bangen bars

If I had the Kit because i realy whant one. I think it would be great for Gold Bar type riding. Only the WA guys will no what I mean. Thats more my kind of fun mix with alot of sweat. average speed 15mph

Premium Features