• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2Moto and Explorer ride tomorrow

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
PUT A Nail in it!!

My 2moto takes about an hour and a half to switch out. I did not have to cut anything on my frame.
So why dont some of the explorer guys show up and race on the 7th.
Then you can PROVE you have a machine that can hold the pace set by 2moto
Not videos, just good old fashion..... when the flag drops the BS stops....
Ive ridden with and on both and know the answer

N
Dec 15, 2008
Now that we are drawing conclusions...

That is the whole point of the 2moto. To really convert the whole bike to a snow machine. That is why you pay more and spend more time in the conversion/setup process, because you have a mountain/powder appetite/environment and need more specialized, dedicated gear to handle it. This guy is the one who either would never consider being a sled owner or is sick of sledding, has had well tuned sleds for a long time (and wishes the Hawk was more svelt) that wants to put a snowbike in the stable. Build up a bigbore turbo single(KTM 690 Enduro comes to mind, trellis on a trellis ya know!) with the 2moto on it and it may be too unruley in the snow to ever see dirt again. 350# with 90+HP and 65ftlbs...:eek:

An Explorer is add-a-track to a dirtbike.
I rode the explorer back in spring 2005 on MT Adams on a Snowhawk demo with The Boys from Boivin, they had it stashed in the back of the trailer and I had to bug them to move the extra hawks to get it out and ride it. There were four of them(explorers)bolted on the hubs of a 650Prairie ATV and it could crawl anywhere. Putting one on a bike and slapping a snowhawk ski on the front was only a matter of time for A and D. Boivin sold their ATV track operation and three ATV track conversion designs to Camoplast. This gave them the time and money to get the Explorer kit squared away. The Explorer is for the budget everyman that doesn't want to be a snowmobiler and a biker. He just wants to swap on the track for multiple conditions. Be it to go up to the mountains and buzz around in the snow or hit the dunes, then just whip it back to dirt wheels and catch the MX or single track the next outing.

My experience on the Explorer today told me that I am still a powder/mountain/timber snowhawker, but will most likely end up with an explorer kit on my KTM450 in addition to the Hawk. It would be the best buddy rig!

I still need to ride the 2moto to fully appreciate its specialties and satisfy my curiosity about the rear suspension action/weight transfer and skidframe.

you are absolutely right, if i wanted to be a snowmobiler i would have bought a snowmobile (which i've already had). and $4250 would have bought me a half decent sled, before i bought bought my kit i weighed up all the pros and cons on all the conversions out there. i bought the kit that most suited my needs, as for the 2moto kit floating on the powder like a sled, well what can i say, only seeing is believing....

A
Mar 4, 2008
My 2moto takes about an hour and a half to switch out. I did not have to cut anything on my frame.
So why dont some of the explorer guys show up and race on the 7th.
Then you can PROVE you have a machine that can hold the pace set by 2moto
Not videos, just good old fashion..... when the flag drops the BS stops....
Ive ridden with and on both and know the answer

Being and old pro I can tell you the kits won't make that big of a difference. Its all rider. Thats the way its always been and will always be.

J
Dec 3, 2007
I've got an explorer kit on a KTM 450 SX-F I will sell for $2200
I'll sell it with my 07 KTM 450 SX-F for $6000. Its located in Utah.

I've got the boosted sled bug and this thing just doesnt get ridden (its got 25 miles on it!)

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
So true!!

Being and old pro I can tell you the kits won't make that big of a difference. Its all rider. Thats the way its always been and will always be.
As with most things seeing (or riding in this case) is believing. Its a hard decision for me to state my true feelings on these kits. And for now Ill hold back.
But this is no honda, yamaha debut.. there is a clear difference..
some wont know or care.. but if your serious about it you certainly will.
And NO they wont float like a sled. But were not talking about sleds..
If you are trying to compare a snowbike to a sled, you better stick to two skis..

N
Dec 15, 2008
As with most things seeing (or riding in this case) is believing. Its a hard decision for me to state my true feelings on these kits. And for now Ill hold back.
But this is no honda, yamaha debut.. there is a clear difference..
some wont know or care.. but if your serious about it you certainly will.
And NO they wont float like a sled. But were not talking about sleds..
If you are trying to compare a snowbike to a sled, you better stick to two skis..

o.k lets not compare them to a sled, lets compare them to a real one ski, the snowhawk?
I've been looking on utube at the snowhawks and i must say they look like they rip, in powder and trails. there was one vid i watched where there were 2 guys on snowhawks and 1 guy on a CRF powered explorer, the latter looked c
completely underpowered and sh#te next to the hawks.

are you trying to tell me that the 2moto would rip same as the hawk?
has anyone with a 2moto rode with anyone with a 800cc hawk?

you are implying that there is night and day difference between the 2moto and the explorer, i paid $2500 for my explorer, the 2moto is $4250, thats a $1750 difference, is the 2moto $1750 better?
i'd love to ride one so i could find out..

Last edited:
B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
when we first left i was following one guy and the 2 moto almost washed out several time in front of me on the trail,,,
We were on 6 inches of snow, with ice underneath. I was behind you, and yours was sideways as well. That was the "first turn fun"

about 1 mile into it a rider on 2moto came off the trail and hit a tree pretty hard,, glad he was ok,,, ,,,
He rode all day without brakes- he mis-installed his brake line the night before.

brett was an awesome rider and made his machine work well, but we both agreed that the explorer had an easier learning curve,,,,,
Thanks. I have a lot of time on snow bikes. I agree that the Explorer has a lighter steering feel at slow trail speeds on packed trails. Read my earlier comments in this thread. "Learning curve" is different- I ran through all the Explorer performance in 15 minutes. Really, there was nothing else it could do. Even with the "sidehill kit wheels" I could not rail a powder turn, or even think of going down a hill, laying the bars into the hill, and going back up. I could not rip through the powdery whoops (really tried) without over-running the stock dirt bike shock. Sorry.

but people all over the county tried the husaberg on trails,, and never bogged in 4th, not sure where he got that, in fact i was in 5th following bret down a nice clean trail and saw him ragdoll down the trail 50 ft ,,, i asked him what happend, he said it was his suspension was not adjusting to the whoops... i was glad to see he was ok...
I took the Berg as fast as it would go in third, hit 4th, and the bit (6 inches) of pow we had on the edges of the trail would bog it down. I did not go faster down the center of the trail because of the whoops.
That wreck did hurt... for clarification, Mike and I had a drag race, (Mike-650 Berg, me 450 Suz) and I ran it up to 5th and just kept it open. The race was not even close, but not even either- Mike is much bigger than me, but he was on 61hp, and I was on 52hp. Even on identical bikes/riders, the 2Moto will walk away from the Explorer in a drag race.
Also, the RadiX rear suspension is adjustable via "clickers" just like your dirt bike. No bolts/tools to get out. I clicked the small shock (front track travel) to full hard for the powder earlier in the day, and did not click it back with my thumb on the trail ride out. So my wreck would be 90% rider oops, and 10% shock locked out... yep, I wrecked, but I know how fast an RMZ goes in 5th!

so who's system is better? neither! they are both good for what they are intended for, they both rock, and they will be around for awhile, they are not the same product , and both have pro's and cons when compared, and both have a learning curve . when you master what they can do, and know the limits, you will be amazed where you have gone.
Here's where we disagree, of course. The key here is your statement "they are both good for what they are intended for"
The RadiX is intended for those that want to rail a sidehill, carve a powder turn, drop a cornice, rip through the bumps, write your name on a sidehill, or stop and start without tipping over. When you're ready for performance, you're ready for the RadiX.

all in all,,, the the explorer is the machine i like to ride, and for 3 grand, you could not get a better deal ... and when summer comes, you can hit the dunes, hills, swamps, or just trail ride...
Price comparison is a great topic. 3 grand, plus $300 if you want to try sidehilling (add 8 more wheels), plus $300 if you want to bring fuel (you rode your berg instead of your nitrous RMZ because you couldn't bring fuel) and $700+ for a new rear shock for your dirt bike, when you put your tires back on. Riding snow hard sacks out stock springs, and can blow your stock shock. Up until 6 years ago, we also used stock shocks/springs- and blew lots of them.
Now you're at $4300, your performance is still what it was, and you've added lots more weight.

so lets see what people think who have rode both for any amount of time.. would love to hear from you if your out there
Here's a few "opinions" sent in via email:
From Oregon: "Tracked up some snow today on my Radix, it was great. Heading up in the morning for a long ride. The guy who bought a boevin kit is not a happy camper, he thinks that he is going to take it back. That thing is a submarine with tons of drag!"

From Canada: "What a pile!!! Kitted on a brand new 09 450. the first day the snow was bad but on the road he couldnt come close to keeping up, and when the whoops came into play, it was a joke at best.
The next day the snow was wetter and made for some great snowbikeing..
for the 2moto. the explorer could not even go.. no kidding.. the track was digging in and pulling the motor down so bad the owner thought the brake was stuck. We adjusted the track forward to where there is no suspension and he was able to move forward, but as soon as we got to the first hill he was done.. I sent him back to the truck, while myself and James kept riding and had a great day on some tight trails..The Explorer is a complete piece of crap.."

As the season progresses and the snow gets firmer, the performance differences will be even greater.

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
o.k lets not compare them to a sled, lets compare them to a real one ski, the snowhawk?
I've been looking on utube at the snowhawks and i must say they look like they rip, in powder and trails. there was one vid i watched where there were 2 guys on snowhawks and 1 guy on a CRF powered explorer, the latter looked c
completely underpowered and sh#te next to the hawks.

are you trying to tell me that the 2moto would rip same as the hawk?
has anyone with a 2moto rode with anyone with a 800cc hawk?

you are implying that there is night and day difference between the 2moto and the explorer, i paid $2500 for my explorer, the 2moto is $4250, thats a $1750 difference, is the 2moto $1750 better?
i'd love to ride one so i could find out..

I've ridden with dozens of 800cc Hawks. They're very impressive in their element. The Explorer can't be even close to the Hawk. No use comparing to something that will only start arguments.

The RadiX is a high performance, complete dirt bike system. If you're trail riding at lower speeds, or just riding around in tamer geography- the Explorer gives you a great snow bike experience. If you want to rail the whoops, carve a sidehill, and really open it up, the RadiX is designed for it.

How did you get your Explorer for $2500?

N
Dec 15, 2008
I've ridden with dozens of 800cc Hawks. They're very impressive in their element. The Explorer can't be even close to the Hawk. No use comparing to something that will only start arguments.

The RadiX is a high performance, complete dirt bike system. If you're trail riding at lower speeds, or just riding around in tamer geography- the Explorer gives you a great snow bike experience. If you want to rail the whoops, carve a sidehill, and really open it up, the RadiX is designed for it.

How did you get your Explorer for $2500?

how did i get my explorer for $2500, now that would be telling :p
i know the explorer can't come close to a hawk, i didn't ask that,did i?
i asked if the 2moto can?
my local KTM dealer had a 2moto demo kitted KTM last year, i asked them how it rode, they said it was sh#t (there words not mine) and wouldn't pull through more than 6" of powder. they were probably comparing it to a sled, but with that in mind you do have to wounder about claims that the 2moto will rip through the powder.. after all we all have different opinions about reality ;)

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Comparing bike conversion kits is like comparing anything. There's always going to be pros & cons to every product. The purchaser can/will buy what they want. If it's not what they expected, they can always sell it & buy something else or nothing at all. My main reason for purchasing the Explorer Kit(s) was price. I'm a sledder & always will be, but these kits looked like another fun way to experience winter recreation. Different conditions & rides present opportunities for different forms of transportation. I agree, there's a lot to be said about rider ability, no matter what's being ridden. Sales will determine who stays in business. There's enough snow out there for everyone, so I don't see why we should worry about what's better. Let's just go ride and enjoy it while we can!

Dobbs

BurntTimber.jpg

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Theres only one way to find out.

my local KTM dealer had a 2moto demo kitted KTM last year, i asked them how it rode, they said it was sh#t (there words not mine) and wouldn't pull through more than 6" of powder. they were probably comparing it to a sled, but with that in mind you do have to wounder about claims that the 2moto will rip through the powder.. after all we all have different opinions about reality ;)

Lets go for a ride:)

M
Jan 22, 2008
which is better

Neither seem to be better than the other. I have rode both kits in spring snow, and deep powder and they are very close. The bottom line is they both need major improvement to be a year round snowmachine. Blazers S.A seems like he may be blowing the shootout out of proposion. I think a person needs to try each kit before choosing one over the other. Mike is in Colorado right now demoing the explorer kit. Check him out at 1-800-ride-sno. See for yourself. The explorer kit is one heck of a fun time.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Neither seem to be better than the other. I have rode both kits in spring snow, and deep powder and they are very close. The bottom line is they both need major improvement to be a year round snowmachine. Blazers S.A seems like he may be blowing the shootout out of proposion. I think a person needs to try each kit before choosing one over the other. Mike is in Colorado right now demoing the explorer kit. Check him out at 1-800-ride-sno. See for yourself. The explorer kit is one heck of a fun time.

Yeah, they'd need snowmakers....j/k ;)

T
Jan 5, 2009
2moto explorer ride

well...

I am the guy that ran off trail and hit a tree on the 2moto wr 450. lets just say that there was some speed, an off kamber left and ... a tree. oh ya lets not forget that i pinched my brake line the night before, and was riding with out brakes. Really smooth mechanical fubar. ( i was really excited). And to address wondering off trail....that is the point. this ride was a friendly outing and I was interested how the snow was off the the trail. the trail is my least favorite place to be!!!I know that is the same with some of you hawks. there is also a difference in getting stuck... and stopping to watch others get stuck in the trail..
ok my ego feels better now.
on with the comparison... first off I was surprised that the explorer did as well as it did. If I wanted the experiance ofsnowbikeing, a bolt on kit for my dirt bike, for the money I almost justified the explorer..the kit just did not sell me on the custom, perfomance, snow bike .
then I came accross the 2moto snowbike conversion , it was made, tested and is home head quartered in the west.. in the conditions I live and ride in...sold after 22 minutes on a demo and a phone call to work saying I was sick, (cough cough.)

after watching both experianced riders on their own machines I am glad to have a 2moto and a yamaha( soon to be a 511cc ) in my garage. From what I understand the explorer rides like a hawk on the trail... lean forward spin the back end around the corner( by no means am I talking bad). I just like the way the Radix system lets you carve the corner, like a dirtbike in the perfect dirt conditions..I can actually turn tighter and faster in the snow than I can in the dirt with tires... I am begining to not like tires...as far a powder goes I can go places I would never take my sled ever!!I know that it is not a snowmobile and on a four foot powder day with no base it is not going to high mark a rev...although I have personaly watched brett pass a rev 800 climbing wongs bowl( one of our big bowl climbs) here in mccall last febuary, he was on a stock, almost jetted ktm 505. I weigh 240 lbs +gear and if I have any base at all ill ride till the bars drag!!! and I saw earlyer someone saying that they don't go in powder, they do, just remember we are not sleds, less so than hawks. We are snow bikes, fallow us into the trees, down this shoot, accross the side hill and off that cornice.

I am a performance minded motorhead and I like what the radix does...exatly what they(2moto) says... I will say that the explorer does work and it offers the experiance well. radix performs and rides like no other. Ps.. I do not work for 2moto I just really , really like what they made! damn I want to ride now!!! I might need a light, cyclops?

P

powderrushsh

Jan 24, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I read a comment that was made about 1 clutch blowing up and implying that the Explorer burns out clutches.

Would it be true then that the welds on all 2 motos will break. Or are the 2 that I know about the the only ones this has happened to?

Maybe the quality control from China is lacking?

As for comparing either kit to the Hawk, neither is even close to my 503. much less my 800. And I have ridden all the 1 skiis

I will say though, that every kit works and it is all about personal preference as well as price.

Also lets not forget this is year 1 for the Explorer. In my opinion is its a pretty good debut. I know that the 2 moto has improved tremendously since inception.

As A.D. Boivin improves the Explorer and the 2moto improves their kit the future looks very bright.

I would like to thank Brett and Mike for all their efforts and dedication to getting the 1 ski out to the public.

I await the time when we can all just ride and have FUN!!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
From what I understand

we had another snow hawk(not snow bike) manufacture out there so us hawk riders had something to fight over......haha

Your about to..still speculation, but Ive heard there is something to it.
Im very happy there are at least two serious bike kit manufactures..
Look at the attention each one of us has on this.. That will breed better machines for the future. Had Bovin Marketed the Hawk and maybe had some comp. you could probably still buy a new one at a reasonable price.
The Hawk is very cool and I defiantly am going to add one to my fleet, However these kits do have there place.. And a GREAT one.
Your not going to keep up with me in the tight trees on your hawk..Hills and trails thats something else. And Im not to sure about the trail thing. Tonys going to show me soon. And alot of you coming to Hawkfest can also try and give me a schooling.
The riding as everyone should know is completely different from east to west..
Not putting you flatlanders down, but Im happy to be here in the west..
So it stands to reason that you may find one machine better suited to your needs.. If your a western rider you demand high preformance, low compromise machines. Capable of hammering the whoops climbing hills and riding the powder.. We dont ride trails.h
So As I said before lets get a bunch of explores to show up in Id the 7th of feb. Not everyone there is going to be a pro, Myself included and we can see how these two match up.. Hopefully its better than what Ive seen in the woods.. sorry had to say it.. I would like to see some video of an explorer hitting the whoops at speed... Let me know that the machines I rode with just need some adjustments , as the owners stated.

Premium Features