• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

unable to remove allen bolt that holds brake pads

Y
Dec 15, 2012
Salt Lake
I'm stumped here with what should be a very simple brake pad replacement job.

The allen bolt that holds the brake pads in place is loose and unthreaded but still won't come out. I've tried grabbing it with needle nose pliers to get it out but it keeps hitting something that won't allow it to come out.

Does anyone have any ideas??

D
Jan 26, 2011
Northern BC
Here's my procedure -

1.Remove brake disc cover
2.Remove brake pad spring clip holding bolt in place
3.Remove brake pad bolt (allen head shoulder screw)
4.Remove brake pads ( Pull them toward the rear then up and out)
5.Reverse steps to install
6. Pump brake lever until slop is pulled out of caliper (Check Reservior Level)

I guess the question I would ask - spring clip removed to allow bolt to come out?

Y
Dec 15, 2012
Salt Lake
Yea sorry I forgot to mention that there's a little wire clip that I removed and I still can't get that allen bolt out.

Here's a pic, if you can see it.

0B1uk9lJ4Q5AWaTZqeXJhWExKaFE

D
Jan 26, 2011
Northern BC
Pic didn't work for me.

If the clip is out, there shouldn't be anything stopping the bolt from coming out. Perhaps just corrosion and buildup?

Does the bolt move at all? In and out that is?

Does it seem to bind on a pad? Or the caliper body?

I'm starting to think vice grips and a good pull, while twisting. Protect the threads from the vice grip with something.

All else fails -
pull the caliper and pads off the shaft, with the rotor
remove rotor from caliper assembly
drift the bolt out from back side of the caliper once you're at the bench - I'm assuming there's an access hole, haven't confirmed that.

S
Oct 6, 2009
Yea sorry I forgot to mention that there's a little wire clip that I removed and I still can't get that allen bolt out.

Here's a pic, if you can see it.

0B1uk9lJ4Q5AWaTZqeXJhWExKaFE

What year sled? My 13' and 15' sports have a plastic stirrup vs. the old aluminum style on the brake side. The allen bolt will not come out without stirrup removal however you can move it far enough to remove the pads. Remove inside pad first then you should be able to sneak out the outside pad. Have done it quite a few times.

U
Feb 11, 2017

The allen bolt that holds the brake pads in place is loose and unthreaded but still won't come out. I've tried grabbing it with needle nose pliers to get it out but it keeps hitting something that won't allow it to come out.

Just for future anyone coming across this. I had pribelems taking the Allen bolt out too. There are two lips on the bolt itself where the trainer pin sits. The ridge closer to the sled itself is too high and must be filed down with a tiny file. A couple minutes of filing it down with a triangular file and it slid out no problems. Horrible design.

V
Apr 15, 2018

I have run across this myself. Should be very simple to remove that anchor pin. If you try to remove the anchor pin / bolt before removing the spring clip when you are turning the bolt out you will burr up the grove in which the spring clip rides in. If this happens to you will need to screw it back in and get a file or use a die grinder to de-bur the groove in the anchor pin. just rotate and grind. doesn't take much.

When you re-install the anchor pin use some grease on the threads and snug up the pin. don't over tighten it as the spring clip will hold it in place....
smile.gif

Premium Features