• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 assault losing power around 7000 rpm

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
so back to working on my assault... many issues. right now i cant figure out why it will run great for about 2 to 3 miles then it will bog out the only get around 7000 rpm, below that it runs good. today when it was doing it i checked the stator wires, all were good except the white to white red and green to white green they were reading .22 ohms, after it cooled for an hour or so they were at 190 ohm. i changed stator with one i had. went for ride and same thing. and the ohm readings were .22 again. voltage regulator checked out ok. not sure on how to test the capacitor. i connected multimeter to wires and ohms went up very slow to about 20 then goes infinate. appreciate any help

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I had a sled that ran awesome for 2-3 miles then fell on its face. I chased the problem all over even doing a complete rebuild, stator, cdi, volt reg, u name it. Wasn't until for some reason I decided to try a different can that the problem was solved. Turns out something in the old can would heat up and partially block flow. Just a thought

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
Bought new capacitor today, and did same test on it before installing it, same results. Charge for 10 seconds test shows 9 volts and loses volts fast. Will take for ride tomorrow

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Comp test and good look at the reeds. What do plugs look like when it’s running good vs running shaty? Do u have a fuel controller on it? Maybe try without.

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
Comp. 128 both sides. Plugs light brown . Reeds looked good. Fuel controller was toast making it surge in and out around 6000 rpm, took it off, thought that fixed it but still won't run over 7200 after about 2 hard pulls

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
made a couple runs with new capacitor... same results . i hooked up fuel pressure guage so i could ride with it and 60 p.s.i. even when motor bogs out. i plugged the exhaust valve vents and it cleared up. still has a little stumble around 6000 r.p.m. might still put a new pcv on it. THANKS for the inputs and if i dont reply again then my ride this Saturday went good. anyone have any ideas on why i still get only .22 on ohm reading on coils when hot?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I highly suggest not leaving the valve hoses plugged. It will make your already lean midrange distrucably lean. It can work if u play with different valve springs and dial in your fuel controller.

It’s sounding like your solenoid is not working properly leaving the valves shut or randomly working. Maybe try a diff one.

These sleds can be a pain trying to overcome the mid spot hesitation. A lot of it has to do with switching from upper injectors to lower ones (or vise versa don’t remember) while at the same time having the valves open while also being lean at that spot. Alls a guy can do is use a fuel controller to minimize the stumble to a tolerable level.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Might be a good ideal to route solenoid discharge hose outside of belly pan so u can observe when exhaust smoke comes out and when it doesn’t ?

Premium Features