• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 2019 Reveal

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm guessing a 3/4 size youth sled.
They've got to do better than the 200s that cat and yami have.
From that video, it looks must larger than those.

Maybe in the 340cc-440cc 4 stroke range.
Hopefully something with a 121 or 136 that weighs less than 350 pounds.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Not an XC200

Looks like this thing is much closer to a full size sled than it is to a 120. Let's hope they keep the weight off.

26219954_1780204755325075_6507626908497643257_n.jpg

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No details revealed other than it's electronically speed limited to 50mph out of the box and you can build the sled up to go faster with their accessories.

No mention of horsepower, engine size, cooling, track length/lug, none of the details sledders look for.

Very, very boring "live reveal" overall.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
My Take

So here's my take:

For better or worse - it's a Phazer. Look at the specs of a 1989 Phazer II. They match this sled almost exactly.

That's good and bad in different ways. It's good because we all know that Phazers make great kids sleds and decent platforms to modify into half decent mountain kids sleds.

It's bad because - 30 years later, the best the market could give us for our kids is still just a phazer?

So I assume that the guys who know how to wrench will save themselves a bunch of money and still just keep buying phazers for their boys between the ages of anywhere from 8 to 16, but really centered right around 10-12. This doesn't affect them at all.

However, it does affect guys like me who don't know how to wrench. Now, there is a new Phazer that I can put my kid on so that I don't have to own a 30 year old sled. I can give my kid all the benefits of a Phazer, but I won't have the downside of dragging a 30 year old sled into the dealer all the time just to have him tell me he can't fix it because he can't get parts etc. etc.

In the end, I hoped for more/better, but I'm still pretty pumped about this and the savings account starts now for buying one in 2 years when my oldest turns 10.

In the meantime, over the next two years, I'll be praying nightly for Polaris to be working on the EVO RMK with a 136 X 1.5" track and a geared down transmission, speaking of transmission, put the belt drive on there. Also, Polaris really should be offering a 36" factory front end kit for these RMKs, and assuming they get their act together on that topic in the next two years, then toss that same 36" kit on my Evo RMK as well. I don't need my machine to sit lower, I just need it to be skinnier. 3 changes, track, belt drive, and narrow front end and suddenly that would be a really decent mountain machine for my kid from the ages of 10-13.

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
boards too

crap, we'll need some new boards too; take the RMK boards from the 144 or something. Ok, 4 changes to make it an RMK. Is that too much to ask?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Price

Oh and one more thing. I am really impressed at the price point they were able to hit. I can only hope that it stays close to that when I go to buy one in a couple years. OR if they do have an RMK version by then like I mentioned above, I would certainly be more than happy to pay a lot for the upgrades to an RMK. We'll see.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Regardless of brand loyalty I feel it would be beneficial for all members to provide their feedback on Polaris's EVO release.

IMO, they should be aware of how they missed the mark by not offering a youth sized deep snow capable snowmobile.

Speak up here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438762&page=5

Well, have to remember that the trail sled market is still waaay bigger than the mtn market. Probably be a following year model if the first year is successful?
That said, the price point is nice for a full size 550 that presumably rides better than all our 20 year old kids' sleds. But yeah they missed the mark IMO.
Over 400 lbs? 550?
Was hoping for a real 3/4 size machine. 350lb, 340-440 size. 32-36" ski stance, more upright, not low slung.
No need for a 550. Heck, my kid's 22 year old 380 Ski doo will pull wheelies with me on it.
Evo is fatter and weighs almost as much as my old Pro that the kids ride when I'm on my Snowbike.
Kudos on a low price machine though. Hope they sell a million of them!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
In all fairness, I think the EVO is a step in the right direction. It will get kids off their idiot boxes, out of the house, & on a sled. That is a good thing.

That said, in addition to the EVO for the flatlanders, we need an entry level / youth deep powder sled for those of us that want to take our kids off the trail.

Bushwacker1 & Mountainhorse have more or less nailed down the specifications for a machine that fits the bill perfectly on the other thread. Polaris just needs to build it. LOL

Well, have to remember that the trail sled market is still waaay bigger than the mtn market. Probably be a following year model if the first year is successful?
That said, the price point is nice for a full size 550 that presumably rides better than all our 20 year old kids' sleds. But yeah they missed the mark IMO.
Over 400 lbs? 550?
Was hoping for a real 3/4 size machine. 350lb, 340-440 size. 32-36" ski stance, more upright, not low slung.
No need for a 550. Heck, my kid's 22 year old 380 Ski doo will pull wheelies with me on it.
Evo is fatter and weighs almost as much as my old Pro that the kids ride when I'm on my Snowbike.
Kudos on a low price machine though. Hope they sell a million of them!

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
340 lbs

Man look at that 340 pounds. What I wouldn't give to be able to offer a 10-12 year old a 340 pound small sled.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
This is a HUGE miss, maybe good for east coasters, maybe they will make one for actual mountain riding. I was up riding with my kids today, thinking I would check 2 or three until I looked at the specs. No reverse, no e-start, carbed. My 8 year old daughter was riding the same flipping sled, an 03 550 Fanner, and that one cost me $500! Polaris tried to make us think that they made a new 3/4 sled, they didn't. They took a dumbed down old model pro chassis with the same bodywork and lowered it with short shocks. (Taking away performance.) Great job Poo.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
This is a HUGE miss, maybe good for east coasters, maybe they will make one for actual mountain riding. I was up riding with my kids today, thinking I would check 2 or three until I looked at the specs. No reverse, no e-start, carbed. My 8 year old daughter was riding the same flipping sled, an 03 550 Fanner, and that one cost me $500! Polaris tried to make us think that they made a new 3/4 sled, they didn't. They took a dumbed down old model pro chassis with the same bodywork and lowered it with short shocks. (Taking away performance.) Great job Poo.

I would disagree, this looks like an easy platform to long track if that’s what you like and the specs on the site and above say both e-start and reverse.

edit: Just saw on the Polaris website they have an Indy 550 RMK as an option http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-indy-144

Last edited:
Premium Features