• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Ultimate 300 Build Thread - 2014

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
How did this Recluse set up work on the snow?

Did you change any of the EXP springs? Are you running 3 red and 3 gold? What color is the "super Heavy" springs?

Did your 3.0 come with medium wedges and you purchased heavy wedges? The new 3.0 is coming standard with heavy wedges.

Thank you.

Time for the new clutch. For this bike's purpose, the new Rekluse 3.0 will be super nice. I have used the Rekluse on other bikes and found it is not mandatory but makes transitions and technical, high speed riding easier and faster in some situations.

I spent some time on wheels tuning this clutch for my liking. I do not want the "idle engagement" like you would on a single track bike. I want a "snowmobile" type engagement. Perfect for a two stroke and boondocking. I want the engine to get above the "soft spot" and be building rev's as the clutch engages. Just like a snowmobile. I have it about right. I can adjust after some snow time. Where it is now; Rekluse 3.0, Heavy wedges for solid engagement, three optional "super heavy" EXP springs to delay engagement until rev's come off the bottom, and the 450F, 280 PSI Belleville spring for stack pressure. Zero slip. Simply replace the OEM belleville with the 280 over the EXP ring. The slave cylinder external adjustment is super nice for adjusting free-play gain. Super nice clutch.

The result is pretty cool. Idling in 2nd gear, whack the throttle and the RPM's jump above the bottom "soft spot" as the clutch engages. Result, front tire at 12 o'clock high and back tire boiling. Instantly

This should add to the ST quick/fun factor.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
How did this Recluse set up work on the snow?

Did you change any of the EXP springs? Are you running 3 red and 3 gold? What color is the "super Heavy" springs?

Did your 3.0 come with medium wedges and you purchased heavy wedges? The new 3.0 is coming standard with heavy wedges.

Thank you.

I have played with the 3.0 a bunch to get the recipe I was looking for. I didn't want the "Idle creep" like you want for single track. After some thought, I realized ideally, a well clutched sled is what I wanted to reproduce. I wanted some built-in stall, a little rev before any creep, then when you roll on, the exhaust valve opens, engine becomes super aggressive as the clutch locks. It makes it super aggressive and fun tree riding.

Here's what it is, EXP 3.0, Heavy wedges, 280 Belleville indexed in the "Z" holes, EXP springs, 3- extra heave Gold, 3- Heavy Blue.

The spring rates are, Silver - softest, Red - medium, Blue - heavy, Gold - extra heavy

I have not had to adjust freeplay gain sense the first brake-in. That is indicative of zero clutch wear so all seems good. I am using Maxima MTL-75, extra lite clutch oil.

I will try to get some vid of this 330 this spring. It has been difficult to get it done riding in groups all season.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have played with the 3.0 a bunch to get the recipe I was looking for. I didn't want the "Idle creep" like you want for single track. After some thought, I realized ideally, a well clutched sled is what I wanted to reproduce. I wanted some built-in stall, a little rev before any creep, then when you roll on, the exhaust valve opens, engine becomes super aggressive as the clutch locks. It makes it super aggressive and fun tree riding.

Here's what it is, EXP 3.0, Heavy wedges, 280 Belleville indexed in the "Z" holes, EXP springs, 3- extra heave Gold, 3- Heavy Blue.

The spring rates are, Silver - softest, Red - medium, Blue - heavy, Gold - extra heavy

I have not had to adjust freeplay gain sense the first brake-in. That is indicative of zero clutch wear so all seems good. I am using Maxima MTL-75, extra lite clutch oil.

I will try to get some vid of this 330 this spring. It has been difficult to get it done riding in groups all season.

Would agree with everything then you just swap the springs for lighter ones with wheels..... I just swapped plates on my 300 after 400 hours..... Still really did not have to just did it for piece of mind. I just use 15w rotella during the summer and 5w syn during the colder months.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Strange. I heard BRC was not continuing with the v twin. Maybe i heard wrong. Oh i see this is old.

S
What is your EGT running temp

I just built a 2016 ktm xc 300 on a TS LT...I'm running a slavens head and lectron carb. Took it out today and it was running around 1000 Degrees f. It was 3ft of pow but, whats your take on this.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would lean out the power jet till you get 1250... That is safe and will give you more power this should be at wot ...mine in long pulls would get up to 1400... But my cr500 lived a long good life in the snow till I sold it..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Keep in mind that the melting point of aluminum is 1,220 degrees F. Yes you can have peaks higher than 1,220 but sustained temps in the 1,300 to 1,400 degree F will cost you a piston. :face-icon-small-fro

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Those were the temps recommended by my engine builder... Logged 350 hours on the same forged piston (so could be able to sustain more heat) before it was sold...just did rings every 50... To hit 14s I would have to be pinned and climbing for 8 minutes or some crazy pull in the powder... Once you hit 14 you have to let off...or milk it more...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

T

Tuco

Dec 12, 2007
Did you use a weld on bung or the strap on for the egt sensor?

Premium Features