• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha and weight

I
Nov 26, 2007
Great idea! They could glue the steering support shafts and the drive shaft that would be great! Oh wait.....Poo did that....

No need to douche up the Yamaha forum trolling, Poo made your sled already.

No one forced you to read or respond to this thread. If discussing yamahas weight upsets you to the point of name calling then just ignore this thread.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think all of us would agree, that if Yamaha REALLY set their mind to it, they could drop a few pounds off of the new Viper without negatively effecting durability.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
It would have been impressive if yamaha brought a new engine to the Viper, drop some weight from the current triple and have it putting out 30+ more hp. Not sure their thought on bring a heavier sled to the market that is underpowered compared to the competition. At least have it making a few more hp then an 800 in stock form. Yamaha has the technology hopefully they use it and stop sitting in 4th place.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Correct me if i am wrong but didn't the viper replace the Nytro and regardless of everyone trying to put the nytro and or the viper into the 800 class when in fact it as always been considered a 600 class sled? The only reason people try to put it in the 800 class is because it comes with a 1049 cc engine.

So when considering the viper is a 600 class sled is it all that under powered? Maybe since there is no longer a 700 class sled Yamaha has tried to fill that niche in the market with their product.

arctic viper

Premium Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sioux Falls SD
I agree.....700 class sled, power wise. 1000 class sled weight wise.

I bought this machine on 2 different things.
1. It wasn't a twin.
2. It didn't have AC clutches.
It is the perfect machine. Yes, I'm a traitor. I bleed Green. and it is lightweight......ever threw around a ThunderCat?

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Best sled I ever owned was a 1995 ZR440. It weighed 490 dry and had 95hp. Now I've got 10lbs and 40 hp more. I'm not complaining.

And if another 30 lbs and 20 hp mean that much to me I'm going with a can, a header, a battery and lightweight hood.

Yamaha could easily do it but then they still wouldn't win a large piece of the crowd over because 'it's a four stroke'.

My wife drives a Prius. Fantastic car yet the opinions I've heard from people who haven't even sat in one make my head shake. Porsche has to come out with a near million dollar 918 to show people what a hybrid can do but now people think you have to spend a million bucks. A lightweight four stroke is going to be priced higher than a similar two stroke and then won't sell as well anyways so the business case would have to have strategic initiative. And Yamaha is increasing sales the way they are going anyways so I can see why they aren't taking the leap.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Not to stir the pot

These are some pics from a short trail ride in the hills north of Fairbanks. 40 miles and 1foot of fresh powder. Didnt even relize how much snow and ice my sons 13 pro held till we loaded them up on the truck.

Nome creek 001.jpg Nome creek 002.jpg

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
These are some pics from a short trail ride in the hills north of Fairbanks. 40 miles and 1foot of fresh powder. Didnt even relize how much snow and ice my sons 13 pro held till we loaded them up on the truck.

That ain't stirring the pot. You are just proving the facts. Thanks for the pics.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My buddies cat LE's are never that clear of snow...so it depends how you ride. The 2015 pros hold less with the coated tunnel and boards too

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This thread was started to talk about what yamaha can do to produce a lighter sled not to justify the weight by pointing out that the other sleds gain weight by packing on snow and ice. they all pack snow given the right conditions. I was amazed when i got to ride a turbo arctic cat1100. it road like it was 100 lbs lighter then my nytro even though it was a way heavier sled. Why? I believe it was the geometry of the chassis. I cant remember who talked about it but a previous post mentioned that the chassis has to be designed around the extra weight of the 4 stroke motor up front. I don't think that you can lighten up the motor very much more without raising the price point of said engine.

I think the viper chassis is obviously a better chassis and was a big leap forward for Yamaha. I believe that you can still reduce a little weight there without cutting into the durability of it through possibly the manufacturing process ie structural glue or some other means. Yamaha needs to develop a chassis geometry to better balance the slightly heavier engine up front. develop a lighter more efficient drive train to utilize the engines power and deliver it to the track more efficiently. I am hoping that with the new viper that the feedback that Yamaha will get in the coming year will be an incentive to change directions a little and put more of an effort into developing in a competitive sled in the market. Competition breads innovation if there is just one company out there giving the consumer what they want we all loose

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This thread was started to talk about what yamaha can do to produce a lighter sled not to justify the weight by pointing out that the other sleds gain weight by packing on snow and ice.

Yes and no.
That weight packing has been a HOT TOPIC since the day we released the video showing the Viper being hoisted and the difference in Snow Load Weight.

Given that commercial video and the controversy it created, that seems like a pretty legit topic for us to discuss.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That has been beaten to death first with cat and 2nd with Yammy....pol has addressed it to some extent with coatings on the higher models, and maybe we'll see cooling system changes on the next model. Pol seems relatively open to buyer suggestions these days, so I wouldn't doubt they pay attention to such discussions. there was a thread in the pro section about what pol could better for the next rendition.... it was well received and well participated in and covered many topics. Like Icr said...the forums seems to have some weight to manufactures decisions these days.

This seems like Yammy owners are mostly unwilling to have a similar discussion....so I guess everyone thinks this is as good as it's ever gonna get.....?

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
exact same thing with the snow build up was noticed when thistledoo(15 doo 174 t3) and my viper when we loaded into his trailer. He noticed there was quite a bit more snow pack in his doo ski/tunnel and hardly anything at all in the viper. His tunnel is powdered black as well as his rails. We were out in 2-3 foot heavy wet snow for first ride. Might be some merit to that video. Does that mean the viper is as light as the other sleds, dont' think so but it all adds up.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I agree.....700 class sled, power wise. 1000 class sled weight wise.

I bought this machine on 2 different things.
1. It wasn't a twin.
2. It didn't have AC clutches.
It is the perfect machine. Yes, I'm a traitor. I bleed Green. and it is lightweight......ever threw around a ThunderCat?

attachment.php

img009(1).jpg

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
That has been beaten to death first with cat and 2nd with Yammy....pol has addressed it to some extent with coatings on the higher models, and maybe we'll see cooling system changes on the next model. Pol seems relatively open to buyer suggestions these days, so I wouldn't doubt they pay attention to such discussions. there was a thread in the pro section about what pol could better for the next rendition.... it was well received and well participated in and covered many topics. Like Icr said...the forums seems to have some weight to manufactures decisions these days.

This seems like Yammy owners are mostly unwilling to have a similar discussion....so I guess everyone thinks this is as good as it's ever gonna get.....?

Or Yammie owners don't want to have a discussion because they don't think it's as big an issue as some think - maybe that's why it isn't that important....

From a marketing perspective they just made a huge move with the Cat chassis. In the next couple of years they can easily increase power and reduce weight.

They don't need a new motor because this one can be easily tuned and more than meets emissions.

And they can't beat two strokes at the weight and boondocking game so why try.

And as for efficiency the track is by far the most inefficient piece of the drive train so putting belt drive on is a drop in the bucket. An existing clutch system turning lower revs would do more for efficiency.....

Premium Features