• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse?

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I don't know for a fact, but I assume that since they are using the same 800 engine with engine reverse, that the M800 is engine reverse as well.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
look at any of the specs on ANY of the sleds.

Cylinders
Twin w/push-button reverse

Electronic push-button reverse
1100 Turbo 4-stroke

it says it no less than 3 or 4 times on any of the pages for these sleds.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Looks like 4 strokes have gear reverse and 800's have engine reverse, can anyone confirm? Schematic of the drivetrain shows a big bulky looking thing hanging off the chain side I can only imagine would be the reverse gearbox. Anyone have a photo of the exhaust side engine compartment? I have seen the clutch side.

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
Looks like 4 strokes have gear reverse and 800's have engine reverse, can anyone confirm? Schematic of the drivetrain shows a big bulky looking thing hanging off the chain side I can only imagine would be the reverse gearbox. Anyone have a photo of the exhaust side engine compartment? I have seen the clutch side.

The bulky thing is the oiltank.

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
http://avalanche1tv.com/ had some side shots. The 2 stroke oil tank is magnesium??? really? Seems excessive but I suppose it is right next to the muffler.

Looks like they make it a dry sump reservoir for the 4 strokes and a 2 stroke reservoir for the 800's.

So how are the 4 strokes getting reverse?

The broucure says, 800 push button engine reverse, 1100 says push button reverse. Pretty clear to me.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
The broucure says, 800 push button engine reverse, 1100 says push button reverse. Pretty clear to me.

yea clear as mud.....you get a button and when you press it....you get reverse. cant spin a 4 stroke backwards, unless cat came up with some cam-less technology, but since bmw couldnt make it work i doubt arctic cat could.

Apr 21, 2008
yea clear as mud.....you get a button and when you press it....you get reverse. cant spin a 4 stroke backwards, unless cat came up with some cam-less technology, but since bmw couldnt make it work i doubt arctic cat could.

Obviously the 4-stroke will be a chaincase reverse, and the 800 is engine reverse. If you look at the brochure and website you can figure this out pretty quick.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
They are pretty vague actually about the reverse gearbox, I know reverse gearboxes in years past were expensive ticking time bombs and if i were buying a 4 stroke I would be concerned about this. All I get out of the photo is that it is going to be a huge chaincase cover that will incorporate the engine oil reservoir, they dont go ito much detail where the gears are that are going to pull off this reverse or how it will work, besides that you push a button:).

Very cool spring loaded automatic tensioner. Keeps you from having to reach into the abyss and crank on a bolt.

Anyone at nashville get their eyes on the drivetrain, is there a wiper motor like the 07-08's that moves a shaft to engage reverse or what????

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Also I am so glad they decided to use a sightglass to monitor the level of the black slime that becomes of chaincase oil, that is working so well for the other company using it. I hope the fill is a 1/4" hole down by your foot too... :face-icon-small-dis

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
look at any of the specs on ANY of the sleds.

Cylinders
Twin w/push-button reverse

Electronic push-button reverse
1100 Turbo 4-stroke

it says it no less than 3 or 4 times on any of the pages for these sleds.
The first m8s had push button reverse aswell, mechanical. I was asking if anyone knew first hand. Engine reverse was a bought right, didn't know if they were gonna keep paying the bill with ONE motor that will use it next year.

P
Feb 23, 2010
I have seen the new gear box. The M8 being a two stroke of course has engine reverse. Cant spin a 4 stroke backwards so of course it has a gear reverse. It does use an electric actuator to move a gear side to side to engage reverse. The oil tank is part of the outside chain cover on both models, and is made of magnesium because it is lighter than aluminm. Brakes are from a motorcycle supplier and are mounted directly to the drive shaft to give supperior performance, and better feel. By going back to a chaincase they have been able to tie the 2 clutches together thereby eliminating an tourqe flex between the engine and secondary. Longer belt life and better power transfer. Sounds like about 15% more power to the track without changing the engine. 4 stroke turbo has a fan on the exterior of the primary clutch to cool the clutch and the belt, should be able to put it on other models as well

Premium Features