• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lights, RPM & Speed Gauges, Don't Work

Jul 9, 2011
I've got a 96 ZR440 Arctic Cat and I started off having periodic handwarmer issues (works one time not the next). Then on my second to last ride the RPM indicator stopped working but the lights and speedometer were fine. Now they went out too. The oil temp light and high beam indicator don't work either. The engine starts and idles fine. As for performance on the last ride it seemed to bog down some until I pumped the throttle a bit.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I checked all the wiring and everything appears to be connected with the exception of the wire behind the dash that the AC dealer disconnected as it had idle problems- ran fine for couple months after dealer did this and never affected any of the other electrical items. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Usually it is the voltage regulator. But where you have had intermittent problems for a while that leads me to think stator. Unplug the four prong wiring plug coming out of the engine by the recoil starter. In your tool kit you may have a little two wire loop plug with one male and one female. Plug it into the brown and black wires in the four prong plug or connect them with a loop of copper wire. This will let the engine start but will bypass all the chassis wiring. Check AC voltage between the two yellow wires. If nothing then you have a lighting coil problem. If there is voltage it should be somewhere between 15 and 50 and that means it is likely the voltage regulator. Good luck.

Jul 9, 2011
Lights, RPM, Speedo, Gauages Do Not Work

I've been told that the speedo failure is typically a mechanical issue related to shaft bearings going out. Since I recently had the bearings replaced at the AC dealer I'm wondering if there is another reason that is hopefully less costly to repair?

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
OK, I wasn't sure if your speedometer had quit too or just the lights in it. The speedo drives from a cable on the left end of the track drive shaft. If it quits it is either the short cable that goes from the shaft to the adapter or the long one from there to the speedo. Ice in the long cable will often cause the short one to twist off.

Premium Features