• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Losing power at 6500 RPM on my m8 BD

B

bossman05

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, UT
Ok..last ride I was having horrible bottom end, so I changed plugs to BR9EYA. Problem corrected, sled ran great today on bottom end. The old plugs were pretty dirty/old.

Today, totally different issue. At around 6500 RPM, I totally lost power. Almost threw me over the handelbars a few times. Not sure what the problem is? Power valves? I don't want to change fuel settings yet as sled has been running great until today. What about reeds? Feels like it's either getting too much fuel, not enough fuel, or else power valves aren't opening up. ideas?

I did check the new plugs that I put in, they look great. I don't think that new plugs would change the top end at all, but that is the only thing that I've changed.

Any ideas are welcome, looking for somewhere to start my "fix".

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Check the DC voltage at your secondary fuel pump. My CCU went out and I had almost the exact same symptoms. (It was only putting out around 6 volts.)

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Did u gap the plugs it could be blowing out the spark under boost ive got mine set at. 20 thow

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hard to say, I lean toward power valves but could be lots of thing.
gap plugs
clean PV (can't hurt) and make sure they move freely in the cables.
Check all the boost reference lines for cracks or leaks,
most of the time a bog that will throw you over the bars is a lean bog, and that makes me think its not getting fuel in a bad way.
Do you have gauges, egts, A/F, fuel pressure, Boost ? etc... and what are they doing.

Did you ever look to see if you where hitting the det sensor.

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
I can answer at least that question for Scott. It is a boondockers kit. Not sure on version though.

He does have EGT's and the HP/altitude controller. That's all I know till he comes along.

Last edited:
B

bossman05

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, UT
Additional info

It is a RG set up, however I have the timing key in it, and boost is turned down to 8-9 pounds. I am running 2-3 gallons of race fuel to be safe however.

I did gap to .30, which Bookdocker told me to do. I think I might try to gap down to lower, sounds like it could be a plug issue, being that I just changed the plugs. I think I will check the gap on the old plugs as well.

I will also check the cables.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It is a RG set up, however I have the timing key in it, and boost is turned down to 8-9 pounds. I am running 2-3 gallons of race fuel to be safe however.

I did gap to .30, which Bookdocker told me to do. I think I might try to gap down to lower, sounds like it could be a plug issue, being that I just changed the plugs. I think I will check the gap on the old plugs as well.

I will also check the cables.

You talking about the electric timing key or one you put in on the fly wheel, if electric what wire did you tie into.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
test

with the boonie box you can test your aux injectors to see if there working in the install instructions it tells you how.

B

bossman05

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, UT
Timing module I'm running is the Ekey (progressive timing module).

I'm going to check reeds tonight. Also, the plugs I was running before this problem (were in it when I bought it were BR9EIX, gapped to .30) I was told by Boondocker to fun the BR9EYA, gapped to .30 for pump gas, and .22 to .24 for Race Gas.
I have them gapped to .30. I'm only running 8-9 pounds of boost.
I will know more tonight when I start digging into things to check out. Thanks for all the suggestions on what to look for so far.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If the timing module is hooked to the wrong wire it could cause problems, are you sure its in the right spot, might be worth unplugging just to check, and if you are at high elevation you don't need it hardly for that kind of boost.

Premium Features