• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help installing clutch weight bushings

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
What the best method for changing these. I have the short little bushing tool. Are you supposed to press it out and then put the new bushing on and press it back through or turn the tool back around to use the skinny part to go in first and press it on. I will be using a little lithium greese and using the side of the weight without the lip. Do you have to use a socket for support and something to press the tool back out?

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I didn't use a tool of any sort. Just had the old ones pressed out with a socket I think(can't remember) and then tapped the new ones in carefully.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
What kind of Clutch ?

I usually use a Drill bit that will just catch the old bushing and drill them out.
Then use the bolt that goes thu the bushing with a small washer and tap or press them in.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I slide a new bushing on the pin, sit the weight on my partially opened vice and drive the old one out as the new one is going in.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I have the tools to do it. I use a little arbor press. Press the old bushing out. Then I heat the weight up with a heat gun (not super hot, just good and warm) and then use the tool to press the new bushing in.

I have found that it's easy to get the bushing going in a little cocked so I press it to start it, then back off the press to let it settle, then press it the rest of the way.

sled_guy

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Great ideas. Thanks for all the input. Does pressing the new one in with the old coming out mess up the ends on the bushing? I think a cut off 1/4 bolt would work for that.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've never had trouble with one. Just a little light tapping. I just use a old clutch pin. The pins should be replaced with the bushing, they are always worn.

Premium Features