• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

perf track??

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
So I read a line here stating the production sleds do not have the holes down the center as the prototypes did we saw last season?
I did not see any "new" ones at the show over the weekend, only "prototypes"
So any truth to this? Did the X package get the holes, and regular season not?
We have had this discussion many times, and to me, that set up they had on the proto looked good. ???

Yella..:face-icon-small-con

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I checked the sleds at the Snow Show last weekend. There were XMs with both style tracks on display in different booths. The guys from Ski Doo said they tried both but the 13 production sleds will all be non-ported. The few XMs that looked new on display were all non-ported too. The ones that looked like they had been rode hard and put away wet were mostly ported.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
flexedge

I purchased 154" flexedge for my xp and the track is not ported at all except for the extro holes.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
I didn't see any holes on prototypes, no holes since 2010 now on production Summits.

The proto we had here last spring did have a ported track, alas, I did not take note of the lug height.

I still think mild porting is helpful for cooling. Oh well....

Guess will see how it runs, can always drag out the drill motor mid season.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Is cooling the only advantage to a ported track? Sideways are you sure that the demos had the 2.25" paddles only?

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
Is cooling the only advantage to a ported track? Sideways are you sure that the demos had the 2.25" paddles only?

You also loose a bit of weight, but what a pound? At best?
I ported my 11, but never put the slugs on the scale.
I do feel it helps in running down the road to the hills for cooling. I found the scratchers did not need to be down quite so much. The proto with the single punch down center looked good to me. Like the double obrounds they had in the early years. After that, they got a bit crazy. One extreme to the other. The taller lug is going to have an effect as well, so perhaps the two will get the job done. :face-icon-small-con

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC

I'm pretty sure.. I rode Dave Norona's 13 around and rode with him a bunch last year.. he mentioned the prototypes didnt have the 2.5 powdermax II track.. just the ported 2.25 powdermax.. I believe the lug design would be different as well as the height (hollow lugs)

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The P3 Prototypes(2013 REV xm's) had ported tracks for another reason, but all production 2013 Summits will have non-ported tracks. I noticed zero difference in the ported vrs nonported from my xm to my 12 freeride and summit x.

Premium Features