• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy sled

D
Feb 7, 2017
Hi not sure if this is the right spot to post be here goes. My wife and I are looking to buy cpl sleds I found an 04'artic cat 1m 570 with 300 miles on it its very clean but doesn't have Electric start and reverse the guy said the ignition is upgradable I have the ability and tools to do anything in my garage but need to know for sure if it can be done also is this sled kinda versatile as far as riding on fire trails and getting a LIL excited and tearing off the trail to have some fun were both 50 yrs old so won't get to krazy but my son is 30 and been racing moto x his whole life so he'd prob put it to the test LOL by the way the asking price is $2200 which seems real fair to me at this point and time in my shopping but I am very ignorant bout all this any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone !

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
You can get reverse but no electric start for the 570, at least not that I've ever seen. The 570 is an air cooled sled and would be a good starter sled.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Ask around, if you know people who ride. The 570 is really limited, depending on where you live and how much groomed trail you have in your area will play a factor on sled choice. For the money, a 600 M series or Polaris dragon would be a better choice for a beginner, or a Rev chassis (ski doo). They will ride better, sure there is more to them the M series has the diamond drive which if taken care of is fine the rest have chain cases and all will require maintenance. That series of sleds will feel a little more tippy but that can be adjusted with ski stance. I would not go less than 153" track with 2" paddles. The short bursts off trail you mention can turn into a wrestling match if the snow is deep. As far as E start and reverse I don't know if the early M series or the others of that era had all that on the smaller sleds. The 700s and up did and the newer they are 07 and up were more available. Best thing is to rent, the first time and rent different brands and models, this seems like a lot to do but then you can get your own informed experience which will in the end answer all of your questions.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
That price seems high to me for a 1M 570. You can find King Cats for cheaper than that.

That being said, we have 3 570s in our fleet of sleds. They are great trail/light off-trail. They're nice and light, and run well. Also warmer for the rider, being fan cooled. There are electric start kits available, and reverse.
Electric start part number is 2639-148

They're definitely older, the riding position isn't forward like the newer stuff. But for what they are, they're nice sleds.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Can't remember ever seeing or knowing of anybody with a Mt Cat or 1M that had electric start and I've owned a few myself, in fact still have one for my grandson. Guess you learn something new everyday:)

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Can't remember ever seeing or knowing of anybody with a Mt Cat or 1M that had electric start and I've owned a few myself, in fact still have one for my grandson. Guess you learn something new everyday:)

Well they definitely didn't come with it, but the same engine was in trail/touring sleds that did. The front motor mount is the same as those, so a kit off one of them would work.

Premium Features