• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

inflatable snowshoes

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Anyone that has ever had to walk out knows how a pair of snowshoes can be a lifesaver. I curerently have a small, standard pair of snowshoes and would love to replace them with something compact but usable. I came across these and Im thinking about buying them.

Anyone have these, used them or seen them? Good, bad, OK? Thanks Eric

http://www.airlitesnowshoe.com/

M
Feb 28, 2011
MT Lassen
Haven't tried them yet but I've been thinking about replacing my standard MSR's with them. I too carry snow shoes when it's really deep just as a precaution.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Looks interesting. I'm only wondering what keeps them from buckling in the middle when walking thru deep snow. Maybe I didn't read far enough.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Looks interesting. I'm only wondering what keeps them from buckling in the middle when walking thru deep snow. Maybe I didn't read far enough.

After you blow them up by mouth, you use a hand pump or the co2 option to get the pressure up high enough to hold there shape.
Cant find much info out there on them. Says they were designed by sledders. Eric

jdubu

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2010
Jackson, WY and Victor, ID
I had to walk out last year. After that experience I went on a mission to find some sort of collapsible snowshoe. What I found was the airlite inflatable snowshoe. Between my riding buddies and myself, we bought 4 pairs.

They really are a great invention. They inflate very, very firm so buckling is not a problem. Plus the surface area on the snow is huge...floats you on powder. I have some snowshoes that work ok on hardpack or trails, but venture into virgin powder and you are post-holing.

I hope to never use them, but I think they are a great addition to my emergency/survival tools.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I had to walk out last year. After that experience I went on a mission to find some sort of collapsible snowshoe. What I found was the airlite inflatable snowshoe. Between my riding buddies and myself, we bought 4 pairs.

They really are a great invention. They inflate very, very firm so buckling is not a problem. Plus the surface area on the snow is huge...floats you on powder. I have some snowshoes that work ok on hardpack or trails, but venture into virgin powder and you are post-holing.

I hope to never use them, but I think they are a great addition to my emergency/survival tools.

Good to hear. Did you buy the option crampons also? Eric

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's a good idea.

On the flip side, the only people that have to walk out are the ones who ride alone. Never ride alone. LOL

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
That's a good idea.

On the flip side, the only people that have to walk out are the ones who ride alone. Never ride alone. LOL

Not sure how you came up with that idea? The time I walked out there was 4 of us, Didnt have anything to do with riding alone. Eric

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Not sure how you came up with that idea? The time I walked out there was 4 of us, Didnt have anything to do with riding alone. Eric

Help me understand...they couldn't give you a ride?
Were all 4 of you stuck?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Help me understand...they couldn't give you a ride?
Were all 4 of you stuck?

We werent stuck, but we werent able to ride out of the drainage that we dropped into due to conditions. 4 guys with ~100yrs combinded riding exp doing what when have done many times before. This time we failed. Live, learn, and prepare better for the next time. Eric

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Gotcha.

Yeah, if I was trapped or stuck down in a drainage and had nobody to give a ride out, I'd want shoes too.

O

oldnslow

Dec 1, 2007
Neihart Montana
blackranchinc.com
Two of us one on a rev 151 one on an M7 got low, snow got warm, and turned to absolute mush walked out.
Rode back in double on a Panther next morning when it cooled down and rode the sleds and the Panther right out!

I've been riding in the mountains since 1967.

Bill

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Inflatable snowshoes are much like inflatable blow up dolls. Sure, both work in a pinch, but they both leave you feeling like you missed out on something..:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features