• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket clutch adjuster knob keeps coming loose

J
Feb 27, 2014
Denver
My preowned sled has an aftermarket driven side clutch that has an adjuster bolt/wheel/nut combo that started backing out by itself while riding. Any idea how to keep it in place? I attached a photo showing the clutch.

It's got a billeted/textured hand tightener wheel and lock nut on a bolt that inserts into the center of the clutch. The bolt is not attached permanently by design and has been trouble free for many years, with the exception of one time that it backed out, but was reset and stayed in place for a few years. I would think that it would be designed so you could hand tighten the adjuster wheel to get the belt to sit at the correct height in the sheaves and then tighten the lock nut against the wheel to hold it in place. But this does not seem to hold it in place.

I don't see any make or model of this aftermarket clutch to look up what it is to research how it works.

IMG_0750.jpg

J
Feb 27, 2014
Denver
It does have two springs in there. One overlaps the other. The helix looks like it is adjustable because the triangle parts are independent and have some set screws. And I noticed that there is a series of holes in the body for the spring end to go in, to adjust the tightness. I know zero about clutches so this is a learning process...

J
Feb 27, 2014
Denver
I called Erlandson and the tech didn't think it was theirs, or at least that adjuster knob wasn't theirs. But he did suggest using some blue Loc-tite or plumbers tape to see if it would keep it from backing out. Things get loose and vibrate more over time so hopefully I can limp it along until I upgrade my sled next season.

Thanks for the replies!

Premium Features