• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*Update*2001 Rmk 800 needs a few problems addressed

P
Jan 9, 2014
Ok guys. I'm getting fed up with this sled. I fixed all of the issues it had, fixed the brake line, tightened the track ect. I went to take it out for the first time today. And it ran just fine up until it warmed up. Then it would only run if the choke was on half. Then I figured out why the aHole who sold me this sled didn't extend the brake line. Because the brakes lock up. So I was just about to the truck when i was at around 7-8k rpm and only going 30. Stop once I got back to the truck. Smelled something burning so I opened the good and the chaincase oil dipstick was on fire. So I got that out in a hurry. But I'm so frustrated with this sled I'm about to just say F it and part it out. Anyone have ideas? Let me know please.
-PG97

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
If the sensor thinks the motor is running too hot, it goes into limp mode. If you had to run with the choke half on, then there might be an air leak somewhere making it run lean. Are you sure it is the track that is ratcheting? If the track is tight, then it might be the drive chain in the chaincase, could also be a bad driveshaft bearing.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Are you sure it is the track that is ratcheting? If the track is tight, then it might be the drive chain in the chaincase, could also be a bad driveshaft bearing.

with the dipstick burning I have my guess figured..

P
Jan 9, 2014
I'll post a pic of the burnt dipstick tomorrow. And the limp mode makes sense because if it wasn't on choke right when it gets to 4k rpms when the clutch engages it wants to die. I guess I kinda forced it to run with the half choke.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you sure somethin didnt just get sucked into a pilot jet and clogged it, and maybe you overtightened track which caused way to much friction, and your hyfax were melting too, wanting to stop the track? lol, no disrepect, we just see that a lot with newbies running on hardpack round here.

P
Jan 9, 2014
I just cleaned the carbs right before I tried to take it out. And when I stopped right at the truck the last 10 feet it made a whining noise like the brake was on.

P
Jan 9, 2014
Ok I just went to look at it this morning. I smelled a strong odor of gas. It was coming from my sled. So I'm gonna have to check the carbs again. It was leaking right out of the bottom. Like before. Must have something to do with those tubes under the carb bowls.

T
Aug 13, 2012
Haha, my brake locked up too, it sucked... I also bought another sled that had a melted dipstick, it turned out that the previous owner drove 20 miles with the parking brake on!

P
Jan 9, 2014
Ok. So I went to start it today. Went to give it a nice hearty pull. Well it would not pull. So I was concerned thinking it was seized. Well I pulled the plugs and tried giving it a pull. I swear I've never seen so much gas come out of cylinders like that before. It must have some sort of carb issue. Any ideas?

Premium Features