• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 700 SRX Mountain gearing

M
Jan 14, 2004
I had 2 Srxs I gave up on the pro action skids and I mounted Doo SC10 3s in there. It made it a whole new sled and cost next to nothing. If I were to do it today I'd use a Cat skid.

M5

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I had 2 Srxs I gave up on the pro action skids and I mounted Doo SC10 3s in there. It made it a whole new sled and cost next to nothing. If I were to do it today I'd use a Cat skid.

M5

You should be able to pick up any skid you want as many opt for the latest and greatest. I agree with the cat choice My second choice would be polaris. Has the crank been welded and trued???

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Its a 144". I can't remove the extensions, because the previous owner, who did all the modifications, WELDED THE DAMN EXTENSIONS!

You could always buy a 151 track and then set that 144 skid back. You may need to add a little more tunnel extenson though. I would personally go this route.

Otherwise you are looking at buying a set of rails.

In the meantime get yourself some adjustable transfer rods for your current setup. Youll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
Hope you all had a good summer. Took it out for a ride to dial it in. Would I be able to adapt the suspension a little by moving just the front mount vertical, therefore lowering the approach angle? Or would that totally screw up the suspension? Thoughts?

M
Jan 14, 2004
To be brutally honest, there's no saving that suspension, they just don't work and can never really be made to work, the design is pushing 20 years old, its time to update IMO, save yourself a bunch of bad riding days and swap it out.

M5

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
As m5 stated above those pro-action skids are crap. They can be made to work ok but they still weigh almost twice as much as a Doo, Pol, or cat skid.
I would look around and see if you cant find a cheap skid from any of the above and swap it out. If you don't want to tackle that big of project yourself check with a local mod shop as see what it will cost first.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Also, I am running 19 / 40 gears and mine will pull your arms out up to about 65 mph then it stops. But that is what i want. I want bottom end grunt. I do not need to go 100 mph down the trail on a mountain sled.

No need to do a 100mph down the trail but track speed is a good thing for hill climbing!
I have a 1200 that does almost 100mph in 660ft (Radar run). Awesome for the steep and deep. :face-icon-small-win

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Hope you all had a good summer. Took it out for a ride to dial it in. Would I be able to adapt the suspension a little by moving just the front mount vertical, therefore lowering the approach angle? Or would that totally screw up the suspension? Thoughts?

You cannot move just one piece. You will ruin what geometry Yami put in there. This susp, does not load the rear well at all, just spins, transfer rods really help.

Premium Features