• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

151 to 159, is it worth the trouble

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
I have a 2002 Ski doo summit hightmark with a 16x151x2.25 track in my sled curently. I found a really good deal on the exact same track, just a 159. My question is will I really notice a difference going from my 151 to a 159 or is it not worth the trouble and cost of buying tunnel and rail extensions. Just looking for others input. Thanks

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
I went from a 151x15x2 to a 159x2.25x16 and it was a totally different animal in the powder. Granted I was changing more overall track than you but if you can get a good deal and you get lots of powder riding I think you will see a noticable difference in your sled. I would do it. Also you should have no trouble selling your old track if you want.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I went from my 151 to a 162 and you wouldn't know it was even the same sled, also put two inch rear drops on it and never extended the tunnel, works awesome!

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I really enjoy my 159 track so I would give the thumbs up. I used 07 151 rails and it fix with out and rail ext. I did install tunnel ext from a 03 factory 159 and bumper. I installed a polaris 159 2-1/8 " lug .

MtnRidr4Life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2008
Fargo, ND
O2Summit -

If you get that 159, are you looking to sell your 151x16? If so, I'd be interested in buying it.

I have a 151x15 right now and my brother has a 159x16. Both are zx, and both ride different. I think his floats a lot better, but I can get more track speed than he can.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
I have a 151x15 right now and my brother has a 159x16. Both are zx, and both ride different. I think his floats a lot better, but I can get more track speed than he can.[/QUOTE]

That is a good point, and what others have said. I think since the track I have is in good shape that I would benifit more spending the money to lighten the sled up and gear it down to get more track speed.

What track speeds are you getting on them two sleds, in deep snow climbing?

MtnRidr4Life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2008
Fargo, ND
I'm not sure what speeds we've seen on a powder climb. I do remember at one point seeing around 38 to 40 on mine, but never really paid any attention cuz I was too busy enjoying the climb.

I do know that between mine, my brothers and my dad's zx, who has a 156x15, that going across a lake blazing our own trail, we can keep up with a 08 XP 800 154. When we did that, all 4 sleds saw speeds of 58 to 60 in the powder, but none of us have climb speeds, sorry.

What's interesting and makes my buddy with the XP want to almost cry is that after he gets the hole shot and gets to 60 quicker than us 3, that on a race across a lake blazing trail in about a foot of powder that I can catch up to him. Keep in mind that on our last trip in Jan this year when we did that race I was having engine problems the entire week (couldn't pull rpm's), and after the trip found out that my raves were junk, my pistons were about to go, and the nikosil was peeling away.

What was interesting was even though I was having engine problems, I was able to slowly pull away on my brother and my dad. Judging on that info, it's hard to say which track is best. We are doing a trip in 2 weeks, and I have a fresh rebuild, so I'll get you some more info when we get back.

Other info: My brothers 02 and my 01 are geared at 18/45. My dads 01 is at 17/47. All three have 9 tooth drivers. All 3 have Paragon secondarys. The only difference between mine and theirs besides gearing is the fabcraft tunnel giving me lots of paddle clearance.

MtnRidr4Life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2008
Fargo, ND
I noticed you have that vent kit on your exhaust side. Do have anything on the clutch side? How do you like think the vents kits work? We have thought about it and never pulled the trigger on getting them.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I just ordered gears for mine too. Right now I have 9 tooth drivers 19/43 gears- way to tall, I am never using my clutches to there full potential, even with the increase engine power. I have 46 and 18 gears and different chains on the way so i am going to play with different combinations.
On the vent kits I love them, and yes there is a clutch side vent as well. There is already preaty good venting on the zx but this just takes it to the next level. I can pull a long hill and my clutches are always cool and you can put your hands on them.
I got mine from 2coolairvents.com. They are a great product, and great people to deal with. I also got the prefilter on the inside of both sides, that way there is no powder going in.

Premium Features