• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 Dragon 800 Silber Turbo install

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Today's progress...

Added a hose protector
12OCT10_Turbo_04.jpg

Prepped for paint
12OCT10_Turbo_15.jpg

Painted turbo and down pipe
12OCT10_Turbo_17.jpg

Made some temporary cardboard protectors for the intercooler fins.
12OCT10_Turbo_02.jpg

Removed the seat and pulled the tank to the side to make the intercooler a little easier to install.
12OCT10_Turbo_22.jpg

Greased the intercooler o-ring fittings and throttle bodies
12OCT10_Turbo_20.jpg

Intercooler is in place
12OCT10_Turbo_25.jpg

Used 4 spacers for the intercooler rear mount. Needed to get 3/8" worth of spacers.
12OCT10_Turbo_32.jpg

Intercooler mounted to the stock air box strap mount.
12OCT10_Turbo_33.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Moved the FPR about 4" towards the PTO side.
12OCT10_Turbo_37.jpg

12OCT10_Turbo_38.jpg

Pipe wrapped the down pipe with DEI heat wrap and stainless steel wire. I sprayed the heat wrap with a spray bottle and kept tension while wrapping the pipes.
12OCT10_Turbo_44.jpg

Did the same to the exhaust pipe stinger
12OCT10_Turbo_45.jpg

Oil pressure gauge installed
12OCT10_Turbo_55.jpg

Installed charge tube
12OCT10_Turbo_50.jpg

12OCT10_Turbo_62.jpg

Mocked up the exhaust pipe and down down pipe. I'm waiting for the wrap to dry completely and then I will paint it with the bbq high temp paint.
12OCT10_Turbo_56.jpg

12OCT10_Turbo_60-1.jpg

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
WAMMO! OK that seals the deal. Barring death or money..I'm in. OK death..I'll beg, barrow, or steal the money. "oh I've got sledding money!" he he he

Wooo I see there is a very important demo ride needing to take place in Afton/Alpine in Feb! Dateline thurs budget meeting..."Ah ya marketing...I has ta go on a critical BID-NESS TRIP"

I wouldn't worry too much about your liver...the gang has matured. Most have even lost their professional party persons status and gone semi-pro and some have been demoted down to rank amature.

LMFAO Rob! This ride is going to be a blast! CANNOT WAIT!!

My liver is relieved hearing that everyone has matured and lost their party persons status!

Jonce, sled is looking good!!

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I just purchased a Boost Logic turbo blanket with a provision for the wastegate actuator arm. Hopefully it fits nicer than the my eBay blanket.
Link to BL turbo blanket: http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=225

image.php

I also ordered up one of these prefilters for the blow off valve (BOV). It should work perfectly.
http://www.gshobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1067_1078&products_id=17986

I picked up a EZC gauge pod lift bracket for my sled from Sled Solutions (Thanks Paul). I realize that this shows a Pro but they make them for the IQ Dragons. I'm hoping to mount the afr and boost gauges off to the left or right hand side. We'll see when it shows up.
http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=980
ezc_dual-internet.jpg

eBayISAPI.dll

index.php

Last edited:
F

francois

Sep 2, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Im starting to build mine (silber kit) and THANKS!! your photos are actually more useful than the one on Justin's instructions (just clearer, better quality).

Maybe you should allowed him to use yours.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Im starting to build mine (silber kit) and THANKS!! your photos are actually more useful than the one on Justin's instructions (just clearer, better quality).

Maybe you should allowed him to use yours.

Thank you, I will be working with Silber to get some of these pictures into his instructions.

Check your PM.

Last edited:
J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I received my Outerwear prefilter in the mail for the BOV.
IMG_3986.jpg

Install BOV prefilter
IMG_3989.jpg

Installed vents
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

Cut the MAG side stirrup vent. I'm still debating on whether or not to make a foot well shield for the exhaust pipe.
IMG_3993.jpg

I had to cut it big enough to allow for down pipe removal.
IMG_3992.jpg

As it sits for now until I can work on it Wednesday.
IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Another slow progress day

I made a oil pump bracket, it took a lot longer than anticipated to make. I used the existing rivets for the stock exhaust deflector.
IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

I made a bracket for my boost controller and got it mounted.
IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

I got all the lines routed to the boost controller. I also added heat tape for extra insurance (not pictured).
IMG_4006.jpg

This is how it sits until the weekend. I want to redo the turbo blanket tie downs. It doesn't look clean but it is functional. I want it to be both, I will figure it out....just need time to think about it.
IMG_4010.jpg

F

francois

Sep 2, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Wow man love your build. I think I might take your idea for the boost controller, it looks really sharp. Not a problem with the hood?

I don't have the template for the exhaust. Anyone have a electronic copy of it or number so I can cut that hole only once!?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Wow man love your build. I think I might take your idea for the boost controller, it looks really sharp. Not a problem with the hood?

I don't have the template for the exhaust. Anyone have a electronic copy of it or number so I can cut that hole only once!?

Template - I don't have an electronic copy of it, sorry.

I don't have the hood on there yet but I think it will be fine from the looks of this picture.
reIMG_3761.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Not a problem with the hood?

I put the hood on last night while mocking up the hood vents and it cleared the boost controller just fine.

Sorry about the dark pics, I took them this morning on my way to work.

I started working on the vents last night. I got the side panel vents installed.
IMG_4015.jpg

I started working on the templates for the hood vents. I have everything outlined in pencil.
IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

I also made a new oil pump holder - smaller and lighter. I will probably get that installed this weekend as well. Hopefully I can start the sled tomorrow. I think I will be mounting the gauges next to the RMK gauge cluster.

Does anyone know a good product to use for cleaning these flat painted hoods? My hood has a yellowish tint from the previous owner.

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
LOL! Thanks Rob! You will see us in Afton around Preidents Day weekend! Our plan is to get into Afton On Weds. I hope our riding skills and liver are up to hanging with you guys!!! :face-icon-small-coo

Rob...you know these two yahoo's? They are my neighbors.....

Jonce - Super-B - I'm there and leaving from Big Lake - already have reservations :D. PS there is always beer in the shop if ya need to quench your thirst ::tea::tea:

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN

Jonce - Super-B - I'm there and leaving from Big Lake - already have reservations :D. PS there is always beer in the shop if ya need to quench your thirst ::tea::tea:

Awesome, we will have to meet up for one of those tasty beverages before the big trip :D

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Got a little more progress done on the sled.

Installing the hood vents
IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

Installed and riveted
IMG_4034.jpg

Gauges installed
IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

Cleaned VES valves, one of them wasn't sealed correctly but it is now. Installed new gaskets as well.
IMG_4060.jpg

Intercooler fan installed
IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Made some 2 prong electrical extensions
IMG_4061.jpg

Installed air box sensor into electronics cover
IMG_4063.jpg

Shocks and skid plate are installed. Here's how it sits until I get more goodies in the mail.
IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

Things I'm waiting for: Twisted Turbos billet throttle bodies, Mountain Addiction spare gas rack, and Straightline Products gauge pod lifter. I also bought one of those Skinz covers, looking forward to see how well it works.

Gas rack: http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=164_168_140&products_id=685

Twisted Turbos billet tb's: http://stores.homestead.com/twistedturbosales/-strse-214/ploaris-carb-boots-throttle/Detail.bok

Skinz cover: http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=164_173_74&products_id=227

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I haven't made much progress on the sled lately, still waiting for parts to arrive.

With regards to the sound reg's, I decided that I am going to do my part and try making the exhaust quieter. I've decided to try two things: make an additional muffler and curve the exhaust tip down inside the tunnel.

If you have any tips on this, they would be greatly appreciated. From everything I have been told and read, you want the least amount of back pressure as possible on the turbo exhaust. I think another bend will add a little back pressure but it won't be as bad as adding a baffle or deflector inside the muffler.

I taped on a 45* bend to the exhaust pipe end for mock up. Some of the things that I need to keep in mind is the suspension travel and track routing. From what I can tell with a floor jack, this exhaust tip will clear the limiter strap and won't interfere with the suspension when compressed.
IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

I might back cut the exhaust tip a little bit to create a bigger opening and prevent pipe clog from the snow. Will this idea work? I have yet to find out but I think diverting the sound down off the track should help.
IMG_4090.jpg

Then I started on my template for an additional muffler. I plan on drilling a bunch of 1/8"-3/16" holes in the pipe bend, packing it with Silent Sport muffler packing, and welding it up. I guess my theory here was to force the sound absorption at the bend instead of the straight part of the exhaust.
IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

So, this is what I will be working on this weekend along with trying to get my shock tower vents installed. Again, this is just my attempt to make a quieter option and pass sound reg's. It's a trial and error thing since I haven't seen many options for the tunnel dumps.

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca

Yep, unfortunately Rob does know us!!! :face-icon-small-win

Nice! Should be a fun ride! I cannot wait to get out there!!!!

Say, where is your shop? I will have to take you up on that offer!

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Well, I got 50% of the exhaust done and put back together. I abandoned the extra muffler idea for now but I did manage to put a 45* angle on it. I will be doing a sound test with it next weekend if I can borrow the db tester from my friend. I should be able to compare his sled to mine, only major difference is the 45* bent tip at the end.

IMG_4104.jpg

Painted
IMG_4105.jpg

Inside the tunnel
IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

I got the turbo blanket secured with exhaust springs
IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Yep, unfortunately Rob does know us!!! :face-icon-small-win

Nice! Should be a fun ride! I cannot wait to get out there!!!!

Say, where is your shop? I will have to take you up on that offer!

just north of Big Lake on 43 - near the 15-43 intersection...done traveling for work this year so I need to get out there and get my old pig put back together

Premium Features